Hey There From California!

missphoenix

After eleven months of the fanatic and blissful madness I call my love for fountain pens, which included Googling questions that often led me to this forum, I'm finally joining FPN. So...hi, at long last! Call me Amy.

I didn't try my first FP until I was around 12-14 years old and got two Pilot Petits in blue and purple at a bookstore in Taiwan. It wasn't until my mom clarified they were fountain pens that I was awed at the incredible historical tradition that I'd fallen into--I'm sure many of you understand and share the "wow" moment when you realize you're holding the same kind of pen that dozens of famous writers and thinkers have used! Though I was floored, the feeling didn't grow into a real attachment--I gave one of the Petits to my cousin, and somewhere down the line I finished using the cartridge for the other Petit and threw it away (I wince to admit that now!).

In December 2014, someone who follows my blog messaged me about my declared love for rose gold with a comment that in his opinion, the best use of rose gold he'd seen was with a certain Monteverde pen (either an Impressa or an Invincia, I've forgotten). Of course, he provided a link to a photo of the pen, and BAM--that marked my rediscovery of fountain pens. In the following days, I watched dozens of fountain pen videos, fell in love with the incredible variety of ink colors out there, and finally ordered a Pilot Metropolitan. Believe it or not, that's still my most expensive pen!

Because I know somebody will ask, here are the pens and inks I have/have tried:

Pens:

• Pilot Metropolitan (M) in White Tiger
  • Platinum Preppy (F) in purple
  • Pilot Penmanship - I love how intensely EF it is, this was my go-to pen for taking notes for class
  • Pilot Plumix in blue
  • Parker Vector (F) --I hear there's a metal version? But I have the plastic one
  • Noodler's Nib Creaper in Vulcan's Coral
  • Pilot Parallel (1.5 mm)
  • --Sometime this week, I'm hoping to be lucky enough to secure an order for a Pilot VP in the Twilight Limited Edition! Huge upgrade for this here small-budgeted fountain penner, but worth it, I've heard!

Paper: I like Clairefontaine a lot, and recently bought a Rhodia dotpad. Amazing! Though most FP lovers don't seem to like Moleskines much, I also use FPs with them sometimes too--perhaps my preference for finer nibs is the reason why I can get away with it.

Inks--I don't have an ink journal, but these are the inks I've definitely sampled:

• Diamine Red Dragon
  • Diamine Soft Mint
  • J. Herbin Bouquet D'antan
  • J. Herbin Emerald of Chivor
  • J. Herbin Stormy Grey
  • Lamy Neonlime
  • Noodler's Apache Sunset
  • Noodler's Bernanke Blue
  • Noodler's Burgundy
  • Noodler's Cactus Fruit Eel
  • Noodler's Gruene Cactus Eel
  • Noodler's X-Feather
  • Private Reserve DC Super Violet
  • Private Reserve Purple Haze
  • Sheaffer's Turquoise
  • Proprietary cartridges: Parker's blue, Pilot's black and blue, Platinum's purple.
  • I also just ordered samples of Diamine Golden Sands, Diamine Blue Pearl and Diamine Apple Glory, the famed Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses, Monteverde Pink, and J. Herbin's Bleu Azur.

I am so excited to finally join this forum! I've always been impressed by FPN's incredible knowledge and friendliness and I look forwarding to lots of great discussions with all of you :)

Edited by missphoenix

Amy C.

My FP/Calligraphy blog: inkynibby

As of January 2016, still searching for the elusive light, slim EDC!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• notVirtuThe3rd

• ac12

• OCArt

• missphoenix

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Amy and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Welcome !

Enjoy your selcction of pens and ink. We will enjoy your company. Please tell us of your experiences with these pens and inks.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hi Amy. Greetings from a fellow Golden State denizen here in Mendocino county and a warm welcome to FPN. It's great to have you here with us.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

Oh yeah, your hooked on fountain pens big time! Again welcome!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome to our little corner of the universe. I'm sure you will enjoy your time here.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

If you are in Northern Calif, drop by the SF Pen Posse.

We have a meet coming up on Sun Nov 29.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/300416-escape-the-shopping-pen-posse/

Keep an eye on the clubs section for future meets.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com