Christmas Cards: Time To Put Pens At Work

fpupulin

I really enjoy when the time comes to prepare my Christmas cards. Pens and inks seem to enjoy the moment too. As most of the recipients of my cards are in Italy, and I am based ten thousand kilometers far, in Costa Rica, I have to begin the work quite early in November, to have my cards posted in the mail in time to be received by Christmas.

The drawing of this year’s card (actually, both the drawings) is boldly inspired to, but not copied from, Johanna Basford’s “Enchanted forest”, a beautiful colouring book filled with fascination and amazement.
I used a 90 gr/mq Fabriano Ingres paper, which Fabriano calls “Ghiaccio” (Ice), but which is a true ivory color. Fabriano’s “Avorio” (Ivory) is much more like a chamois color. As I commented before, the paper has some tooth on it, but I like it for this reason.
I made the sketches with the Leonardo pen, which leaves down a very light line, easy to remove when the final work is done in ink.
The front of the card is inked with my Hemingway filled with Toffee Brown ink. Then, I diluted some more Toffee Brown in the inkwell, and with a fine brush I partially painted the drawing. As the Toffee Brown is a soluble ink, where the wet brush touches the lines it dissolves and melts a bit, giving to the work that kind of moire, shaded-faded color, which I really love.
To ink the Christmas tree on the left (the rear of the card), I just dipped a 149 fitted with a EF nib into the Irish Green inkwell. Probably, the nib was not perfectly cleaned from the black ink that I used previously, and the resulting green was very dark, more similar to the old Racing Green than to the actual Irish Green. When I diluted some drops of Irish Green and began painting over the drawing, I obtained a totally unexpected mix of grey and green shadows. A very unintentional effect, which I appreciate even more for its casual appearance.
For the drawing in the internal face of the card, I used the 149 EF dipped in Irish Green. The lettering (in Italian, “Buon Natale e felice Anno Nuovo” means Merry Christmas and happy New Year) was done with the Montblanc Hitchcock ink, which I use quite rarely now as my only bottle of this unique ink is almost empty… I wrote it with the BB nib of one of my 149s.
Finally, I scanned the two drawings and printed them on both sides of a quite heavy ivory paper that I bought locally and has no name. I think it has to be some 150–180 gr/mq. The envelops are Kimberly Personal Line, Sahara-White color, 90 gr/mq. I wrote the addresses with the Montblanc 149 BB dipped in the inkwell (Toffee Brown), and the sender address with a 149, fitted with a M nib, and Irish Green ink.
fpn_1447648128__christmas_1.jpg
fpn_1447648597__christmas_2.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FredRydr

• JohnEbach

• pelman

• rugby66de

Wow! Those are really nice. Your attention to detail is amazing!

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

Those are absolutely beautiful, and I hope the recipients treasure them long beyond the season. Thanks for showing us! .

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

You have some very lucky recipients on your Christmas card list :thumbup:

I keep checking my mailbox, but nothing yet.

Fred

I too love this season for Christmas cards, but yours are exceptional and beautiful. Are you finding those job offers from the North Pole hard to turn down??????

Signed

Elf

You are truly fantastic in your ability and kindness.

Your cards are such a generous gift of your time and love.

A Merry Christmas to you as well.

Thank you for sharing.

Inked

So talented, and such beautiful writing. Your recipients are lucky to have you as a friend!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)