The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

How Old Is My Pen?

epenco lever filler

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 KeiPlay

KeiPlay

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2015 - 22:02

Hi, I am new on this forum, well this is my first post here.
I have over twenty fountain pens, which one of them seems to be pretty old, but in lovely conditions. It's an English ePenco, lever filler and screw cap, I bought it three years ago.
It's a little beauty with that nib (well, it's not supposed to be that long).
Here are some pictures:IMG_20140912_184358.jpg IMG_20140912_184122.jpg IMG_20140912_184058.jpg IMG_20140912_183855.jpg
So, how old should it be?
And how much is it worth?
Thanks

Sponsored Content

#2 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,718 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2015 - 22:04

What does the nib look like, are there any specific engravings etc?

And worth really depends, if it's a steel nibbed third tier pen, chances are it could be anywhere from $5 to $20 depending on the buyer (less since it seems like it needs to be cleaned and re-sac'd)

#3 peterg

peterg

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 22:40

I have the same pen Kei, except mine is a darker green and it has a replacement steel nib. I think it dates from the mid 1930's.

It is an American pen. Epenco was the low end range from the Eagle Pen(or Pencil?) Company.

Edited by peterg, 16 November 2015 - 12:10.

#4 ISW_Kaputnik

ISW_Kaputnik

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:56

From what I know, which is not a great deal, Epenco were a somewhat lower end line made by the Eagle Pencil Company.  1930s or maybe a little later.  It's an attractive old celluloid, and if it writes well, these old third tier pens are nice to have.  Do you have a sac in it?  May seem like a silly question, but in your picture with the lever up I'd expect to see part of the sac compressed by the pressure bar and I don't.  Maybe just the angle.  Anyway, a sac replacement is an easy do it yourself fix if it is necessary.

What's it worth?  I wouldn't like to get much more specific than "not much money", but that doesn't mean it's not a nice pen.  A lot of people collect pens from less prestigious makers like this one precisely because they are attractive without costing too much.

As a second thought, you can try search completed auctions on eBay to see what people paid for this brand there.  May be a slightly distorted view, but it will give you an idea.

Edited by ISW_Kaputnik, 16 November 2015 - 01:58.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do." - Benjamin Franklin

#5 KeiPlay

KeiPlay

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2015 - 13:49

No, I don't have a sac for my pen, I don't know which size it fits... But sacs are cheap nowdays. I have a question: Do inc sacs need to be replaced, like tires?

#6 KeiPlay

KeiPlay

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2015 - 14:02

I have the same pen Kei, except mine is a darker green and it has a replacement steel nib. I think it dates from the mid 1930's.

It is an American pen. Epenco was the low end range from the Eagle Pen(or Pencil?) Company.

Wow, I'm not the only one :) Does your ePenco writes well? Is it smooth on the paper? I never used it, because I haven't got a sac for my pen...

#7 ISW_Kaputnik

ISW_Kaputnik

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2015 - 14:40

No, I don't have a sac for my pen, I don't know which size it fits... But sacs are cheap nowdays. I have a question: Do inc sacs need to be replaced, like tires?

Here's a link on sac replacement.  I don't know what size yours would take, but some places sell sample packs of common sizes.  If you don't let ink dry out in your pen for a long time, an ink sac should last many years.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do." - Benjamin Franklin

#8 KeiPlay

KeiPlay

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2015 - 14:42

Thanks Kaputnik

#9 peterg

peterg

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,099 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 19:30

P1050989.JPG P1050988.JPG

You can always dip the nib to see how it writes. My pen has an Osmiroid 35 that was a fairly standard steel nib. It writes clearly but isn't exciting! Still prefer my gold nibs

#10 KeiPlay

KeiPlay

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2015 - 19:36

Wow, that's really similar to my pen, the cap is a copy of mine, just a different colour :)

#11 KeiPlay

KeiPlay

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2015 - 19:37

attachicon.gifP1050989.JPGattachicon.gifP1050988.JPG

You can always dip the nib to see how it writes. My pen has an Osmiroid 35 that was a fairly standard steel nib. It writes clearly but isn't exciting! Still prefer my gold nibs

Wait, what? Can I change nibs on mine???

Edited by KeiPlay, 16 November 2015 - 19:37.

#12 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2015 - 19:43

The lever-fill system was a great invention.  It was durable, inexpensive, and easily serviced.  Its debut was in the 1930's.  By 1940's to 1950's, there were a lot of lower-end companies using the system in budget-priced, everyday pens.  I love 'em !  They put fountain pens into everyone's writing hand.  Still available are brands such as Wearever, Penco, Venus, American, Arnold, Tuckersharpe, Criterion, and Windsor.  I typically pick up cleaned and re-sac-ed specimens for  $10 to $15.  As 65-year-old, budget-priced pens, there is some risk.  

Dried ink is the enemy.  It will destroy a sac.  I picked up a pitted, and corroded Arnold fountain pen for $4.99 .  It dates to the 1950's.  Never inked, the sac seems fine.  The pen is usable.  I think that a pen sac, used frequently and flushed regularly, should last for decades.  

Yours looks very nice.  

Until you replace the sac, or not, there is no reason that you cannot dip the pen and write with it.  

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#13 KeiPlay

KeiPlay

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2015 - 20:26

I couldn't stop writing random words on the sheet, it's an unforgettable experience, holding a 90 years old pen and writing.. there are no words to describe it. I use Senator ink, I think it is German, I also have a Senator Windsor. Thank you so much Sasha!P_20151116_211400.jpg P_20151116_211419.jpg

#14 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,718 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2015 - 23:47

Wait, what? Can I change nibs on mine???

In theory with some tinkering if you know the size of it and can perhaps find an old warranted (ie: usually generic) 14K nib that might fit the same size. But fiddling with it too much carries some risk such as cracking the grip or the feed, especially if you don't have the proper tools (knock out blocks etc).

#15 peterg

peterg

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,099 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:38

Lever pens date back to around the first world war. Steel nibs date to around 1930.

In the vast majority of pens you have a friction seal feed which slides into the section with the nib on top. As a result, provided it matches the size of feed (length, circumference), pretty well any nib can be fitted.

My pen has a size 18 sac.

#16 KeiPlay

KeiPlay

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2015 - 13:11

Thankyou.
Btw, is my calligraphy good?

#17 Drone

Drone

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,446 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:41

I couldn't stop writing random words on the sheet, it's an unforgettable experience, holding a 90 years old pen and writing.. there are no words to describe it. I use Senator ink, I think it is German, I also have a Senator Windsor. Thank you so much Sasha!attachicon.gifP_20151116_211400.jpgattachicon.gifP_20151116_211419.jpg

That ink is actually Senator rebranded original Pelikan 4001 series ink. It is decent ink...

#18 KeiPlay

KeiPlay

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 16:20

it's the best ink I ever used.
I use it for my senator Windsor, for filling the DUKE, that uses a converter, and I also got a 22K plated beautiful Jinhao, a really rare pen.

Edited by KeiPlay, 18 November 2015 - 16:20.

#19 KeiPlay

KeiPlay

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 16:43

Here is my Jinhao:P_20151118_173039.jpg P_20151118_173048.jpg
And I've got also an Egoist fountain pen, with the certificate of authenticity and other two nibs.
It has a wood barrel and a really heavy cap, made of iron, with some engraved leaves on it, while the barrel's extremity is also made of iron, but with no leaves. It's an Italian artwork...
P_20151118_173258_HDR.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: epenco, lever filler

Sponsored Content

|