Purple Pens: Visconti? Pelikan M205? Or ...?

ssataline

Hi folks,

As my friends know, I'm a fan of all things purple. (In NYC you can buy varietals of purple vegetables.) I've acquired a few cheaper pens in purple-ish hues, but am looking for "the one." I just bought a Visconti Rembrandt from the good folks at Pen Chalet and without inking, am having second thoughts. I like wettish writers in a substantial pen. I don't want a weighty pen that tires my hand. And I shouldn't be spending more than $120 or so since I'm in grad school!

The reviews on the Rembrandt are so mixed -- and frankly, I returned one a few years back when the pen seemed balky.

https://www.penchalet.com/fine_pens/fountain_pens/visconti_rembrandt_fountain_pen.html

I'm wondering if the Pelikan m205 amethyst would be a better bet, until Kaweco makes a substantial purple...

https://www.penchalet.com/fine_pens/fountain_pens/pelikan_special_edition_classic_m205_amethyst_fountain_pen.html

I'd love for the forum to weigh in.

post-123864-0-68313300-1447613040_thumb.jpg

(bottom to top, a Faber Castell pencil, Lamy al Star in a not-so-purple hue, Kaweco Sport, a Hero from China (don't bother), and the Rembrandt.

Thanks so much!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ssataline

• Runnin_Ute

• Notgatherox

• shawndp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's another option that's kinda, sorta in my price range: The Sailor Slim in Blueberry.

https://www.goldspot.com/products/sailor-professional-gear-slim-blueberry-w-silver-trim-fine-point-fountain-pen

I know the company isn't popular right now for stiffing Brian at Goulet Pens. after it barred Goulet Pens from selling its products because they weren't selling ALL their merchandise.

Edited by ssataline

My vote --- the M205 Amethyst.....IMHO, it's got class "written all over it"!!:)

The SE Pelikans tend to sell quickly, so if you're considering one, my advice is: Don't drag your feet!!

Interesting to note that Pen Chalet lists the 205 (alone, no ink) with EF nib as "available, 5-7 business days......." vs "In Stock"....??!!

Right now, I'm waiting on a M101N Red Tortoise with F nib; the vendor had Medium in stock but had to "order out" for the F.....but it's on the way!!

The Kaweco Purple SOUNDS very promising.....but, like everyone else, I'm anxiously awaiting PICTURES of this FP before making any (future) purchasing decision.....

Good luck with whatever you choose!!

Always try to get the dibs.....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

Not sure what you mean by "substantial"...but if that is "not light" then the M205 may not be what you are looking for. Weight is under 20 grams, perhaps as little as 15 grams. (check sources) Personally this is in my wheelhouse....

Would be same as other M2xx pens.

Don't take this as a recommendation against the M205 though as M200's and M205's I have had have all been great pens.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

The Visconti is truly purple, but the nibs can be iffy. Amethyst is only somewhat purple, but I'd trust the Pelikan nib. I do love my Rembrandt though it is only a rollerball. It is purple.

I would put in a vote for the Pelikan - they are absoutely amazing writers and it is a lovely colour as well. The pen is solidly made but not heavy at all - which ironically was one of my initial dislikes. It doesn't look like a $100 pen at first glance and is almsot a little disappointing when you unpackage it, but write a dozen pages with it and you will understand why it has built up the following it has over as many decades as a writing pen.

The Sailor - I own a Progear Slim in EF and it is very fine - maybe a little more fine than I need but excellent for tiny printing and numbers. I think Sailor's F nib is spectacular - maybe the best F I own (1911L). My gf loves F & EF nibs and Sailor rates as her fav brand. Maybe I missed the whole Brian vs Sailor fiasco - but a company's business dealings with a retailer is none of my business and has no bearing on the product quiality. There has been Sailor long before GP and I hope they continue making their most excelent pens long after GP ceases to exist. On that note - if you are going to buy a Japanese pen (or even the Pelikan), maybe consider buying directly from Japan as the prices are substantially lower in a lot of cases.

I vote Pelikan M205 too - pretty and a absolute dream to write with (have a M605 and a M200)

Pair it up with the awesome Amethyst Ink of the Year - killer combo :D

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I have a Rembrandt and a M205 (though neither in purple, so I can't speak to their looks). I've owned 3 Rembrandts--1 was damaged, 1 was confiscated by my daughter, and I still have 1--and all 3 steel nibs have been great right out of the box. The most recent was turned into a stub, and it is my favorite steel nib.

Rembrandt vs. M205: Rembrandt is larger, heavier, and the nib a little springier, while the M205 is smaller, lighter, stiffer nib, and has a piston filler. Both are excellent pens, but they're different enough that I'd suggest looking at the differences and deciding which one fits what you want.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

Well if you like small pens, I can suggest without hesitation a Sailor Sapporo Blueberry. Has an excellent nib, ink flow is simply perfect.

Thank you all. I realize that discussing pens this weekend amid the attacks may seem to some crass. It was a good way to take my mind off weightier matters.

Favor: Could someone with the Pelikan please post the difference between writing with a fine and medium nib? I write BIG and tend to like BOLD inks, but the cheap paper can make that messy. ( I'll one day opt for a calligraphy nib, as soon as I rob a bank!)

You're a lovely group. Thank you.

Edited by ssataline

Wow....Purple Pelikan can't be beat, and as previously stated, paired with that Amethyst ink, it's a win-win.

I have that purple Rembrandt....the corrosion/pitting at the metal feed/section junction makes it a no-no for me.

And I'm no fan of metal sections anyway.

The Sailor is actually aubergine/plum, but in the family I guess. You can't go wrong with it in any way other than personal

fancies. I believe it's heavier than the Pelikan at 19.7g.

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

I'm starting to like purple, as well. Collected quite a few inks already, looking for pens now.

I was very keen to get my hands on the M205 Amethyst, but - honestly - I'm disappointed. Compared to their other coloured demonstrators, the purple is greyish/milky, the colour doesn't really pop like the blue, green or yellow. And while I'm very much in favour of silver applications compared to gold ones, the M205 line and their nibs (for some reason specifically on the Amethyst) look cheap to me. Of course, this can be rectified by putting an M250 or M400 nib into the pen, and yes, the steel M205 nib still writes extremely well, but to me personally, it was a disappointment.

As for a writing sample - cream Tomoe River paper, Edelstein Ruby, as stated:

fpn_1447839312__m205_probe.jpg

Edited by hessi

I love my red Visconti Rembrandt. It writes well, and is nicely balanced. The steel nib section and the resin back puts the weight where it needs to be. it's a nice to write with too. Certainly I have not got any complaints.

Thank you all! I'm not clear why there's such a reluctance by manufacturers to make purple pens -- just as I'm not clear why there are so few purple cars (although I saw a purple pickup truck the other day!)

Thanks especially to NOS for sharing her samples. Lovely!

So here's a new-ish question: which vintage pens in purple should I be hunting for? I just discovered the Waterman ripple pens from the 20s and 30s. Wowwee.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Waterman+94+blue+green+ripple&_osacat=0&ssPageName=GSTL&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XWaterman+94+blue+green+ripple+fountain+pen.TRS0&_nkw=Waterman+94+blue+green+ripple+fountain+pen&_sacat=0

Edited by ssata

Thank you all! I'm not clear why there's such a reluctance by manufacturers to make purple pens -- just as I'm not clear why there are so few purple cars (although I saw a purple pickup truck the other day!)

Thanks especially to NOS for sharing her samples. Lovely!

So here's a new-ish question: which vintage pens in purple should I be hunting for? I just discovered the Waterman ripple pens from the 20s and 30s. Wowwee.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Waterman+94+blue+green+ripple&_osacat=0&ssPageName=GSTL&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XWaterman+94+blue+green+ripple+fountain+pen.TRS0&_nkw=Waterman+94+blue+green+ripple+fountain+pen&_sacat=0

Purple is sort of a faddish color, I suspect. I remember the first time I ever saw a purple car (also an apple green one) -- late 1960s or early 1970s. Very unusual to see one now (although I did rent a purple PT Cruiser once at an airport, and that color -- and the amount of stuff I could cram into the thing -- is about the only GOOD thing I could say about PT Cruisers... :glare:).

For vintage pens you could always try and get a Parker 51 in Plum. Not cheap because they're so collectible -- but not popular back in the day (they were only made for one model year). And no, you can't have mine.... Not a bright purple, though, more of an aubergine color (and somewhat indistinguishable from black in some light). But probably still cheaper than a new Visconti....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have a purple Rembrandt that I purchased just after it came out. It's a beautiful looking pen and mine writes beautifully. I recently purchased a Pelikan M205 in Amethyst and it's an entirely different (& also excellent) pen. I'll definitely be getting the Kaweco & the Safari. Purple has been my favourite colour since I was a child.

Chrysler gave the purple they first introduced in the late 1960's a cool name even - Plum Crazy. I think it was originally available on the Charger and Challenger and Cuda models only.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain