Best Cheap Fine Point Ballpoint?

cptdean

Since they opened up a Muji store in my local area, I've lately come to really appreciate the muji 0.38 gel pens. They come in many colors, they are smooth, they are refillable, they are very minimalistic looking and have no branding whatsoever after you peel off the sticker. They are quite cheap too, about a buck and a half.

The other day the employees at Maido, another japanese stationary store, spotted my disposable 0.38 muji gel pen and let me know that despite the fact that they sell a million brands of japanese ballpoint/gel pens over there at Maido, Muji pens (a brand which they don't sell) are some of their favorites.... I thought that was interesting..

http://www.muji.us/store/media/wysiwyg/capped_gelink_pens_700.jpg

Muji's Zebra "Sarasa" is good too (Spring clip you will know it immediately when you see it)

though I still don't know who exactly makes their cap based gel pens I'm leaning with Sakura on this one but I'm not sure though thinking of Uni isnt that far off

Edited by Algester

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cptdean

• torstar

• AL01

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since they opened up a Muji store in my local area, I've lately come to really appreciate the muji 0.38 gel pens. They come in many colors, they are smooth, they are refillable, they are very minimalistic looking and have no branding whatsoever after you peel off the sticker. They are quite cheap too, about a buck and a half.

The other day the employees at Maido, another japanese stationary store, spotted my disposable 0.38 muji gel pen and let me know that despite the fact that they sell a million brands of japanese ballpoint/gel pens over there at Maido, Muji pens (a brand which they don't sell) are some of their favorites.... I thought that was interesting..

http://www.muji.us/store/media/wysiwyg/capped_gelink_pens_700.jpg

These look a lot like the Pentel Energel refills I have.

Are they the same size?

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Are they the same size?

D.ick

I'm not sure, next time I go into a staples I'll open one of their blister packs and compare with the muji which I keep in my wallet.

Muji's Zebra "Sarasa" is good too (Spring clip you will know it immediately when you see it)though I still don't know who exactly makes their cap based gel pens I'm leaning with Sakura on this one but I'm not sure though thinking of Uni isnt that far off

yes I saw the spring clip ones. I tried them out in the store. They are nice too but I like the capped ones better. The grip section is just about the right size and there seems much less that could break with these capped models as the plastic is bendable and does not crack. You may be right about zebra contracting with them because the number of colors the muji come in is similar to that seen with the Sakura. I really like the blue in the muji pen, it's my favorite color. Edited by cellmatrix

Definitely the Lamy Noto with Lamy M16 F refill. Cheap, archival, longlife refill and a very good grip. I have a lot of Lamy ballpoints and bought this cheap one when I was on the road and had nothing to write with. It turned out to have a better grip than some more expensive Lamy's.

Joop

As far as fine point multi-packs go, I've always liked the Pentel R.S.V.P. I go for the black, red, and violet, not liking their green ink, and getting blobs with the blue. I used them all through high school and early college, but quit using them when I moved to fountain pens. Picked up a pack about six months ago while I was feeling a little nostalgic, and was pleasantly surprised to find that the quality is still the same after seven years of not using these pens.

Best of luck in finding the right pen.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

OP, here. After a heck of a lot of sampling various offerings, my wife is still most pleased with her Uni Jetstream 4&1. For myself, I bought a Lamy 2000 Rollerball to match my L2K fountain pen, and am currently using a Pilot Hi-Tec C Cavalier refill. It has become the new non-fountain pen benchmark in my bag.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

L2K_Cavalier.jpg

Pens so far:

Montblanc 146, Lamy 2000 Fountain, Lamy 2000 Rollerball, Vintage Parker 45, Parker 45 Special, Platinum Preppy, Jinhao 159

For cheap ballpoint pens, my go-to are Parker Jotter and Itoya Prime. Itoya Prime may be hard to find outside of the Asian market but they're made of metal and have decent weight to them. They also take inexpensive Zebra refills and are similar shape and size as classic Bic pens but in a click design.

http://image.rakuten.co.jp/belleseve/cabinet/zakka/itoya-ballpen.jpg

the D3 refills are kind of short though in honesty but at least they are longer than what the Tombow Airpress has

Are they the same size?

D.ick

sadly Pentel doesnt make them in a variety of colors so I dont think they are the manufacturer, which means this boils down to another company Edited by Algester

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IMO the Zebra Fine is a better writer than a Jotter, my go to BP for notes where size matters is a Zebra 401.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's the pen itself, not the brand. Duds and miracles occur all over the place

Go to a store that offers dozens of brands singly, Marlborough's in my area of High Park, Toronto is a good one and spend 15 minutes noodling around until you find that cheap pen that works like a charm.

I'm often hooked by the gem I find for free at conferences,and grab a handful of them, a few will be used to the end of the candle.

it's the life we've chosen....

I don't like buying in bulk because think about it, Would you want 20 sons you couldn't keep track of? (OK, maybe you would)

I would recommend the Uni-Ball Jetstream. They are reliable and come in a big assortment of sizes (Including fine)

I like Sheaffer sentinel

http://getpen.ru/sheaffer-sentinel-burgandy/big/1287/1.jpg

Agreed. Unfortunately, my spring is now rendered destroyed :( The sad death of a wonderful pen.

• 11 months later...

For a ballpoint with a fine tip, I'm getting good results from the Zebra F-301 retractable ball pens, with a 0.7 mm tip.

I suggest a Jotter with a fine-point Quinkflow refill.

Ding ding ding for the best "cheapy"

The true secret is 1.6mm bold Bic Crystals for cheapy excellence, their medium/fine aren't good though.

Edited by torstar