Best Cheap Fine Point Ballpoint?

cptdean

While I'm enthused enough to be amassing funds for a Lamy 2000 fountain pen, my wife is still quite content to use cheap ballpoint pens for her daily writing and note-taking. The trouble is, we're having difficulty finding something she really likes at local stores. Even the Office Depot down the street has a surprising lack of writing instruments, so I've decided to ask the hive here for advice. Her only requirements are:

- Cheap (as in multi-pack, don't care if you lose it type of pen)

- Extra-fine or Fine point.

I'm fully expecting "Just grab something off the shelf" answers, but on the off chance you have a strong recommendation, I'd really appreciate hearing it. I also wouldn't turn away nudges toward $10-$20 pens if the jump in price brings a noticeable quality boost. They would be economical for me to replace for her. (Personally, I'm still a fan of the Parker Jotter.)

Thanks for any help!

Pens so far:

Montblanc 146, Lamy 2000 Fountain, Lamy 2000 Rollerball, Vintage Parker 45, Parker 45 Special, Platinum Preppy, Jinhao 159

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cptdean

• torstar

• AL01

• IvoryParker

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Uni Signo pens are very nice. They make one called the 207 micro that writes an extra fine line. The 0.5mm pens are nice too. Then there's the Signo BLX pens that are black infused with color.

I have tried most of the current ballpoint/hybrid ink pens that are available in my area, the Uniball Jetstream is as good as any, I slightly prefer the Pilot Acroball because of the finger grip, the best I've tried so far.

Mine are all 'medium' refills, which actually write a line about 0.3mm, but Pilot do make a 'Fine' version also, according to the website.

http://www.pilotpen.co.uk/en/products-categories/ballpoint-pens/acroball-begreen-fine-tip.html

If a very fine line is important then these are available in '1' or boxes, but I havn't tried them out on paper to really comment.

http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Hi-Tec-C-Maica-Gel-Pen-0.3-mm-Black/pd/10657

Thanks, all. We're going to try all of these. I hope she doesn't care for the Jotter, so I can get it.

Pens so far:

Montblanc 146, Lamy 2000 Fountain, Lamy 2000 Rollerball, Vintage Parker 45, Parker 45 Special, Platinum Preppy, Jinhao 159

Uni Signo DX 0.38 is what you want. Not exactly cheapest of the cheap. It tracks true almost FPlike without any pressure.

Uni Signo DX 0.38 is what you want. Not exactly cheapest of the cheap. It tracks true almost FPlike without any pressure.

That looks like a good pen, and I especially like the Blue-Black variety. I should have mentioned (and I can't edit my original post) that she only likes click pens...doesn't want to fool with a cap.

Pens so far:

We received the Parker Jotter, Sharpie click pens, and Uni Jetsream (pack of 3 colors), and a Uni Jetstream multifunction with 4 colors and a pencil built in. So far, she really likes the Jetstream (all of them) for comfort and ink. I'm going to order her the Signo today.

Thanks again for all the help!

Pens so far:

Might I suggest the Bic orange? Fine super cheap and ultra disposable i am not too sure if its available in your locality though

Thanks for the Bic Orange recommendation. I've seen and used those in the past, but she prefers retractable pens (can't edit my original post to include that requirement).

Pens so far:

Dad was a government accountant. I have one of his Skillcraft "Essential" ballpoint pens. Still works, after all these years. I think they are out of production, but still around.

Another one he used was the BiC Accountant stick pen.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I looked them up on Amazon and found the Skilcraft basic click pens. I remember those from my Army days...they were bullet proof! I'll add these to our trials.

Pens so far:

Pilot "better ballpoint" in fine is actually not bad as ballpoints go. It produces extra fine lines, its relatively smooth for a ballpoint and its cheap. I would say the line is similar in thickness to what you would get with a 0.2 mm platinum preppy fountain pen. If you ask me, I would rather use the 0.2 preppy, but if you really need a cheap ballpoint with a fine line, this is something to try.

Most Zebras seem to be terrible but Zebra Sarasa is great. If you can tolerate non retractable, Linc Ocean Gel are really amazing for a cheap pen.

/http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/858372_558495127508117_649985064_o.jpg

• 1 month later...

I definitely recommend the Pilot BP-S fine. It's a very popular pen available in the standard black, blue, red, and green, with other novelty colours available. There are several variants of this pen, including the Pilot Super Knock and BP-S Matic (both of which are basically retractable versions of the standard BP-S). It's a cheap pen -- you can buy a box of 12 for approx. $9, and there's the bonus that these pens are refillable. These pens are, in my opinion, better than the ubiquitous BIC Cristals and PaperMate stick pens. Pilot's ink flows very smoothly by comparison.

post-126054-0-47938100-1453870620.jpg

post-126054-0-15725100-1453870628.jpg

/http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/858372_558495127508117_649985064_o.jpg

Since they opened up a Muji store in my local area, I've lately come to really appreciate the muji 0.38 gel pens. They come in many colors, they are smooth, they are refillable, they are very minimalistic looking and have no branding whatsoever after you peel off the sticker. They are quite cheap too, about a buck and a half.

The other day the employees at Maido, another japanese stationary store, spotted my disposable 0.38 muji gel pen and let me know that despite the fact that they sell a million brands of japanese ballpoint/gel pens over there at Maido, Muji pens (a brand which they don't sell) are some of their favorites.... I thought that was interesting..

http://www.muji.us/store/media/wysiwyg/capped_gelink_pens_700.jpg

Edited by cellmatrix