Mystery Eversharp - Like A Streamline(R), But Different

Redblur

Can anyone identify this mystery Eversharp? It looks something like a Skyline/Streamliner, but the Derby is much blockier and the tail is much less pointy. The section is visulated, and the nib says "Eversharp Made In USA 24." I thought at first it might be a mismatched cap, as it doesn't fit very well, but the body is clearly not a standard Skyline/Streamline, so - wut the?

Any help would be appreciated.

post-106325-0-98591400-1447446122_thumb.jpg

post-106325-0-74590900-1447446137_thumb.jpg

post-106325-0-98521500-1447446156_thumb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Redblur

• joss

• gweimer1

• robert1962

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just sold one like that. I believe it's an early version of the Skyline, called the Press Clip Skyline. The barrel isn't nearly as tapered, either.

I just sold one like that. I believe it's an early version of the Skyline, called the Press Clip Skyline. The barrel isn't nearly as tapered, either.

Did you sell it on thE bay? Did it have an American Legion logo?

This Eversharp model is quite well known but nobody seems to know its exact name. If you search the net for "eversharp streamliner" you will see that people use the name "Streamliner" for both the models that you show in your pictures. That is probably wrong as the Streamliner is documented as being a Skyline without the over-the-top-clip.

I read somewhere here on FPN that this 'mystery' Eversharp was a cheap WWII variant of the Skyline/Streamliner that was made when precious materials were scarce. The pen did have a quality 14K gold Eversharp nib but had a cheap stapled clip with very thin gold plating.

There are several models of this pen known, with and without gold filled cap bands and in different colors. See for instance this thread which also shows a pencil that might have accompanied this mystery Eversharp:

www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/212103-newly-discovered-skyline-trim-configuration/

Edit:

I just went looking further here on FPN and Richard Binder mentions the name "Thrift" for this mystery Eversharp. See this thread:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/169181-mystery-eversharp-streamliner/

Edited by joss

This Eversharp model is quite well known but nobody seems to know its exact name. If you search the net for "eversharp streamliner" you will see that people use the name "Streamliner" for both the models that you show in your pictures. That is probably wrong as the Streamliner is documented as being a Skyline without the over-the-top-clip.

I read somewhere here on FPN that this 'mystery' Eversharp was a cheap WWII variant of the Skyline/Streamliner that was made when precious materials were scarce. The pen did have a quality 14K gold Eversharp nib but had a cheap stapled clip with very thin gold plating.

There are several models of this pen known, with and without gold filled cap bands and in different colors. See for instance this thread which also shows a pencil that might have accompanied this mystery Eversharp:

www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/212103-newly-discovered-skyline-trim-configuration/

Edit:

I just went looking further here on FPN and Richard Binder mentions the name "Thrift" for this mystery Eversharp. See this thread:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/169181-mystery-eversharp-streamliner/

I have a soft spot for oddballs like these.

Compared to the number of Skylines out there, these seem a bit scarce. I have a few of these staple clip pens; a demi and a full size with band, and a demi no band, all in black. I also have a further down-market variant of this pen in Dubonnet, which is identical, except that the clip is chromed and imprinted "Select.O.Point". Select O Point was the name of interchangeable alloy nibs that Wahl had used in the 1930s on some Wahl Oxfords, kind of the economy version of the Personal point.

Bob

Shouldn't phonics be spelled with an f?

You make me curious on the American Legion logo on this pen, is that imprinted on the pen?

It's not an imprint, it's incised into the body, next to the filler lever. It's not well done - the marks are not deep, and very hard to read. This pen hasn't been used much, so I doubt it was ever particularly clear. I'd take a picture of it, but I won't be able to get anything useful out of my cell phone's camera. Probably the only way to make it legible would be to fill the marks with paint, but I'm not even sure that would be worth the effort.

It's not an imprint, it's incised into the body, next to the filler lever. It's not well done - the marks are not deep, and very hard to read. This pen hasn't been used much, so I doubt it was ever particularly clear. I'd take a picture of it, but I won't be able to get anything useful out of my cell phone's camera. Probably the only way to make it legible would be to fill the marks with paint, but I'm not even sure that would be worth the effort.

OK, no problem. I understand that it is not the official logo then but rather a personal inscription?

I asked it because I have a black Skyline with the emblem of Vought-Sikorsky (aircraft company) and "1942" imprint on the cap and was just curious whether there was also a military-like emblem on your pen.

That imprint is shown in this thread (that pen is not mine though):

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/143515-unusual-1942-skyline/

OK, no problem. I understand that it is not the official logo then but rather a personal inscription?

No, it's the official logo - like the image below, but just in outline form. It's about the size of a dime, and wraps around about 1/3 of the body. This would likely never have worked on a real Skyline/Streamline body- maybe on an Executive, but the curve of the smaller Standard and Demi Skyline body would likely have distorted the image too much. The cap (as seen in the other post) seems like a much better place to put something like this.

post-106325-0-12533800-1447690702.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting...Ive never seen that before

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens