Teaching With A Fountain Pen

WaskiSquirrel

This year, I got into a new classroom. I also purchased a document camera so I could do my lectures with a document camera. I also have been using the document camera to film instructional videos: short videos 5 minutes in length or less for the purpose of summary or review. I've had a lot to learn about video technique, my microphone, and pacing.

So, tonight, I filmed one for my freshmen. I added in a little bit of animation. See how many fountain pens and inks you recognize.

I was a bit rushed: I edited the video before recording my narration. I also really question my choice to add background music and, more specifically, that specific choice.

Edited by Waski_the_Squirrel

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WaskiSquirrel

• vjones

• TSherbs

• FOUR X FOUR

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun, and educational too. I should look into one of those document cameras. What did you use to speed it up? Regarding the choice of music: I didn't really notice it first time through. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Edited by vjones

Fun, and educational too. I should look into one of those document cameras. What did you use to speed it up? Regarding the choice of music: I didn't really notice it first time through. Not sure if that's good or bad.

I edited it in iMovie. That software offers the ability to speed up or slow down sections of a movie.

Waski this is excellent. Am I right in thinking that in the US school system, freshmen would be 14-15 years old? In which case, this video is just right. I'd get rid of the background music, though, as it doesn't really help.

Yay! I've learned something science-y :)

Nice work, Waski. How long did the entire process, including editing, take you?

I didn't time myself, but I did stay after school about 3 hours that day, though I filmed a Chemistry video as well in that time (which isn't as well done). I had done some planning prior to filming this as well.

I actually have two films here. You might notice the magical appearance of scotch tape in the test tubes. The first film contained a few minutes of me chasing BBs around the page. The beginning of the second one included me getting stuck to the tape. But, the biggest time saver in making this video was that I planned it out ahead of time.

Lamy 2k at the end, Safari, & one (two?) others? No clue on ink. Nice work. I don't think the music detracts.

I miss whoever was putting together the soundtracks for instructional videos during the 70's & 80's. Sometimes mind-numbingly boring content broken up by guitar or some other amusing musical choice. They just don't make them like that anymore.