Philadelphia Show Changes

Jackson

So......the show is on? I am close but over the bridge in jersey, but, a foot of snow and gettin in and out of Philly???

Let"s hope for a shift in the weather.

Thurs 8 pm

Saturday 01/23 100% / 8-12 in

Snow along with gusty winds at times. Some sleet may mix in. High 31F. Winds NNE at 25 to 35 mph. Chance of snow 100%. 8 to 12 inches of snow expected.

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shaporama

• tryphon

• coolpenz

• pararis

on a positive note

let me look at the down side here.
stuck in a hotel with pen people and pens check

getting snowed in check

calling Warden, won't be home tonight hon................... check

hotel bar snow party check

maybe I CAN make it into town!!

<grin>

Looks like Fountain Pen Hospital and Bertram's Inkwell have pulled out according to their posts on Twitter. I'm very bummed out about the weather situation. Have been looking forward to this show for the past two months. I only live 7 miles away but Saturday seems a no go, especially if the "blizzard" conditions pan out. I'm still hopeful to make a try at getting there on Sunday.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Will there still be the full monty there on Sunday?? Oh, where can they go? duh.

Maybe Sunday is makeable.

and maybe nobody makes it into town-as if a blizzard is important--

Priority one is always people safety so...protect yourselves, the event can always happen later

Ron Zorn is not going, FPH is not going, Bertrams is not going . . . and I will not be going if this storm is as bad as they say its going to be. On top of everything, this was the year I chose to pre-pay for a $25 VIP pass! I hope the organizers will be providing refunds if I cannot (or choose not to) attend.

Ron Zorn is not going, FPH is not going, Bertrams is not going . . . and I will not be going if this storm is as bad as they say its going to be. On top of everything, this was the year I chose to pre-pay for a $25 VIP pass! I hope the organizers will be providing refunds if I cannot (or choose not to) attend.

I'm hoping they may offer refunds as well. I only bought a regular ticket, but it would be nice.

I'm still holding out for Sunday, but it seems less and less likely as this point.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

I'm hoping they may offer refunds as well. I only bought a regular ticket, but it would be nice.

I'm still holding out for Sunday, but it seems less and less likely as this point.

Yeah, I was thinking of going Sunday if it was open, but now that my favorite pen repair guy will not be there, and FPH is staying away Sunday is a lot less attractive, even if the weather clears.

Edited by Shaporama

I've wondered about a refund too, since I purchased the VIP thing. Not optimistic. Wonder if organizers have some kind of insurance regarding weather.

Big disappointment as I haven't been to a pen show. Now it looks like a long wait for the DC event.

The following went out Tuesday;

"Snow is in the forecast for the pen show weekend, but Pen Troopers won't be letting a little weather deter them from enjoying thousands of pens laid out and waiting to be gazed upon, gawked at, coveted, and perhaps taken home to live a life of happily every after!

It's a Pen Show Adventure! The doors of the Westin will remain open. The heaters in the ballroom will be turned up. Pen friends - both new and old - will be waiting to greet you and enjoy your company.

Regardless of weather, the show will go on. As an added bonus, you may check your snow shoes at the bell desk free of charge."

If they intend to stay open, I doubt we'll see a refund on tickets. I too purchased a $25 VIP pass. Now I'm wondering even if I can make it on Sunday, will it be worth it to try with the cancellations that we're seeing.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

"Big disappointment as I haven't been to a pen show. Now it looks like a long wait for the DC event."

Where do you live? The Baltimore show is usually in early March as is the Long Island show. Neither are really that far from Philly, so maybe you will not have to wait until Summer.

Edited by Shaporama

The following went out Tuesday;

"Pen Troopers won't be letting a little weather deter them from enjoying thousands of pens laid out and waiting to be gazed upon, gawked at, coveted, and perhaps taken home to live a life of happily every after!".

I have three thoughts about this: 1] it was easy to be cavalier about the weather on Tuesday; we all love a good chuckle about alarmist forecasts but now they are predicting a blizzard, not "a little weather," and it is irresponsible to encourage people to jeopardize their safety to just to indulge their hobby; 2] Flights are being cancelled, roads will be closed and a number of prominent vendors have already backed out, they may indeed have the heaters on but I doubt there will be "thousands of pens laid out." 3] I bought a pass for a show, if I wanted to cruise empty aisles past vacant tables I would be in Atlantic City instead.

"Big disappointment as I haven't been to a pen show. Now it looks like a long wait for the DC event."

Where do you live? The Baltimore show is usually in early March as is the Long Island show. Neither are really that far from Philly, so maybe you will not have to wait until Summer.

Thanks, Shap. I had forgotten about the one in Balto. I have it on my calendar. And I love Balto. Natty Bohs all around!!

I will be there Sunday for certain.

I will also make an effort to be there Saturday as well!

I have communicated with the organizer, and the pen I intend to donate for a door prize will be given away Sunday!!

Frank

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

Since the snow isn't predicted to stop until late Saturday night, it's likely Sunday will still be hazardous driving until at least the afternoon. Was really looking forward to the show, but much as I love pens, not with the safety risk.

Given weather history around here I think the only people going to this show are the ones who arrive at the hotel this evening. They've already declared a so called "state of emergency" in PA. Once the snow starts, you'll be prohibited from driving and any other non-emergency movement outside. So, you won't even be permitted to try to get to the hotel. Since snow is predicted to last until Sunday morning, this ban will certainly not be lifted before Monday.

By Monday, schools will be closed and it will be a day given to cleanup and recovery.

Sadly, we've lost our show. My worst fear is this will kill the possibility of future shows here.