Quick Comparison: Kobe #7, Shin-Kai, Plains Of Abraham

migo984

As requested https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/299808-sailor-kobe-07-kaikyo-blue/?do=findComment&comment=3497265 , here is a quick comparison of 3 inks, on Tomoe paper and white card.

Not the best photo, but the Kobe #7 is the richest, deepest colour and is a sheen monster. It is the red sheen that gives it the pinkish cast in the photo. The Noodler's is a nice dark shade but is comparatively 'flat' and not as nuanced or complex. The shin-kai is a lighter toned ink, with some sheen. It is the one that changes the most from wet to dry.

I've also added a few swabs of some of the other inks I have in this colour group. I have others but enough's enough :-D

Verba volant, scripta manent

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IndigoBOB

• migo984

• Tas

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I knew this was going to end badly. :)

There is no comparison.

Those Sailor brewmasters put "things" in their inks that no one else does. Complex "things".

Always so much more to a Sailor than meets the eye.

Thank you migo984.

(Abraham's flatness, to me, is part of it's charm and that SK Navy Blue has been in so many of my pens of late and am loving it)

I knew this was going to end badly. :)

There is no comparison.

Those Sailor brewmasters put "things" in their inks that no one else does. Complex "things".

Always so much more to a Sailor than meets the eye.

Thank you migo984.

(Abraham's flatness, to me, is part of it's charm and that SK Navy Blue has been in so many of my pens of late and am loving it)

Don't get me wrong - I'm not always in the mood for complex. Abraham's flatness is a major part of it's charm to me and I love it too. It's like the difference between gloss and matt wood paint - both have their place :-) The SK Navy Blue is a favourite - the tiny cost and ease of purchase in comparison to Sailor helps too lol. :-)

Verba volant, scripta manent

Nice comparison! :)

My Blue-Black eye is twitching! ;)

Guess I have to send a long list och Blue-Blacks to Santa this year...

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

Nice comparison! I like all hues here (who cares?) I think the one I like least is the Kobe #7 just because of its sheen. I am an anti-sheen monster. Otherwise a nice colour as re its (as you say) richness. Others there are just as dark a hue if not even darker (IMO).

Hugh

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Sei-ran is also a definite must have. :)

It is awesome!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I super want Sailor Kobe #7, and will buy it right now, but I cannot find it. Help.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

• 2 years later...

I just checked my notes, IndigoBOB. I don't have the Kobe ink, but I have tried the other two. Shin-kai is a little bluer, and is fairly water resistant; on crummy absorbent paper it dries in about 12 seconds. Blue Upon the Plains of Abraham is a little greyer in tone, but dries a little faster on the same paper (around 10 seconds), and is pretty waterproof (at least my bottle is).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I just checked my notes, IndigoBOB. I don't have the Kobe ink, but I have tried the other two. Shin-kai is a little bluer, and is fairly water resistant; on crummy absorbent paper it dries in about 12 seconds. Blue Upon the Plains of Abraham is a little greyer in tone, but dries a little faster on the same paper (around 10 seconds), and is pretty waterproof (at least my bottle is).

How does Abraham perform for you?

Do you like it?

Do you like it?

Mine ended up like soup and I poured it away. So upsetting :( after the trouble members went to aquire me a bottle.

Mine ended up like soup and I poured it away. So upsetting :( after the trouble members went to aquire me a bottle.

Oh, I'm so sorry :( . That's always a disappointment for a bottle of ink.

Yes I was trying to find out of Kobe #7 was water resistant, but I can't find any information on that.

I have been looking into Noodler's Van Gogh Starry Night, but that seems very elusive.

the VGSNB is an FPN exclusive ink. Not elusive at all. Available in the FPN shop.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/store/product/106-fpn-van-gogh-starry-night-blue-3-oz-bottle/

And here's my review of Noodler's FPN VGSNB and it's pretty water resistant. At least on the absorbent ink jet paper I tested it on.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/295500-noodlers-fpn-van-gogh-starry-night-blue/?p=3433391

Edited by white_lotus

Thank you!

Picked a bottle up of VGSNB. Happy to donate and get an ink I've been looking for.

I've been looking for a saturated deep dark Blue Black like this for a while, but the ones I found where either far pricier or had no water resistance.

Do you like it?

I thought it was a little on the dry side. I put it in a new-to-me Parker 45 with an oblique nib (a PIF from some FPN member in NZ(?) whose name I sadly forget -- David someone). And it didn't do all that well in that pen but it may just have been a matter of having to learn to hold the pen so as to have the nib angled at the best advantage on the page.

OTOH, I liked the color a lot. It's a blue grey and bluer than some in that range.

I picked up a bottle a few summers ago, when I had to go to a conference in Toronto. The conference was at a hotel at the airport, but I went up early in the day (fighting construction zone traffic getting onto the Peace Bridge) and then Friday night rush hour traffic all the way from Hamilton into Toronto -- JUST so I could go to Wonder Pens (and then of course had to fight rush hour traffic all the way back out to the airport to the conference...).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well if you ask me the trip to Wonder Pens was a must : )

I might have to put up with ordering it from Canada later on. After watching VittaR's youtube review on it Abraham moved to the top of my list.

I had to go with VGSNB first because I've been looking for a less grayed blue black in that vicinity and the only other inks that compared were Kobe's #7 and Bungubox 4B and I wasn't in a hurry to spend that much.

But what I really like about Abraham is that it's still such a rich blue black despite the grayed aspect of it which gives it a nice character and uniqueness without dulling down the color like other blue blacks I've seen and tried.

BUT I'm a little hesitant to get Abraham after reading some more of the reports of problems on FPN.

Edited by IndigoBOB