The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Ink Flow Problem In Sheaffer Targa

ink flow sheaffer targa fountain pen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ink

ink

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2015 - 19:26

I have a Targa with a 14k gold medium nib.  It has absolutely zero ink flow.  What's the deal with that?  Do I need to send it to someone to fix, and who would that person be?

Sponsored Content

#2 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

You do, indeed, only live once.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,300 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 19:36

Are you certain that the feed is not clogged? Sounds like a perfect candidate for a ride in the ultrasonic cleaner and, if that isn't available, repeated flushing with a bulb syringe. I've never had a flow problem with any Targas.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#3 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 21:25

I think that Jon is right.  The feed channels in the Targa are quite narrow, and the collector completely enclosed by the section.  They can become quite clogged.  A couple of cycles through an ultrasonic and then a flush with a bulb can often bring it back to life, but sometimes the only fix is to disassemble the writing unit and clean everything in the ultrasonic.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#4 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2015 - 21:47

And patience.  Don't expect instant solutions, it's likely the problem developed over years of neglect and so may take many days of effort to clean.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#5 ink-syringe

ink-syringe

foo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:34

luckily Targas come apart easily, if it comes to that. Just be careful not to force the feed back in because the feed is up against the tines and pushing it in like a caveman can force the tines apart making for the opposite experience, a gushing pen.

Try without taking it apart first, if that doesn't work you might have to. 

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink flow, sheaffer, targa, fountain pen

Sponsored Content

|