M200 Vs M400 Vs M405 (Gift Advice Wanted)

Nanya

For your sample of opinions: I have a 205 with BB nib that I don't like because it's a hard starter every time I lift the pen from paper.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nanya

• Bo Bo Olson

• Notgatherox

• Violet.Ink

That would be the DUO Highlighter since the BB is only available with that. I recently got one and I like it a lot.

His first Pelikan and a male personally if I had the money I would buy him a M600 green with a fine nib. The green is the classic colour and the M600 is still a reasonable size for a male to use posted or unposted in my humble opinion. The Pelikan will also have a 3 month nib change over period if he decides he wants the EF personally I find the EF just that little bit too fine for me, but good for writing on lower quality paper or in pocket diaries.

as a man, if I was given an M200 after trying out my SOs M600, I'd kind of feel like I was being given a toy instead of the real thing.

M400 or M600 are definitely significant gifts, price wise. But if somebody wants a mobile phone, wouldn't you get them a smartphone so they have something they will love?

I don't believe in skimping on gifts as long as I'm sure I'm getting something good. I have quite a few M200s but they all end up in the drawer sooner or later, while the pens I use are the classical workhorses - M 400 definitely, or M600. I agree with BoBo in principle, but older models are for aficionados, and he can always get into that later.

Don't forget the ink. Pelikans are wet writers, so go with Pelikan or MB which work well with these pens.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

To me, this is a no-brainer. If he likes your 600, get him a 600!

Yes.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

For your sample of opinions: I have a 205 with BB nib that I don't like because it's a hard starter every time I lift the pen from paper."""""""""

That sounds like baby bottom.

Aye, yie, yi. """with BoBo in principle, but older models are for aficionados,""

I'm an aficionado, :o ...All I was doing was continuing to buy cheap old pens ;) ....of course one can get real good old used pen.....does sound better knowing one is a semi-vintage and the other is vintage.......,Missing the snob smilie....new is not the way to go....in the 400's.

A used 200 is a bargain.

It don't take long at all to become an aficionado, once one has pressed a semi-flex nib to one's thumb nail...... :yikes: :drool: :puddle: . I did that with a 140 semi-flex OB :wub: ....and knew what all the fuss was all about. An Instant aficionado...then it only takes a week of reading...or a year to learn the wine years....pen eras. There is no hurry to become an aficionado. You don't even notice it happening. :unsure:

Calabria wasn't getting on your case, but it was the first time I was called an aficionado and it was a bit of a shock. :thumbup:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I love all of the birds. I do agree that if he has favored the M600, getting him one of his own would be a good course. Anything else might be disappointing. At the least, I would go with the M400. The M200 is one of my favorites and I find many of my stainless steel nibs just as good as if not better than gold. That said, a gift of steel may pale in comparison to the gold that he has tried. Preconceived notions of gold vs steel can affect a lot.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Yes, that's the one. Glad you didn't had any trouble with it.

That would be the DUO Highlighter since the BB is only available with that. I recently got one and I like it a lot.

Yes, that's the one. Glad you didn't had any trouble with it.

Mine is an immediate starter, and produces a nice wet line with the yellow highlighter ink. I am not a person who constantly uses a hightlighter but I wanted a demonstrator and this was the one I could afford at the moment . But I like it so much that I use it to underline and mark all documents where such action is needed. It has proven a very good buy and beyond expectations. I used a Lamy Vista with B Nib and Edelstein topaz for the same purpose before.

Edited by fplover01

M200, very smooth and rewarding. My only gripes are that the ink window is so dark that it is sometimes difficult to see the ink level, and that the nib isn't highly polished and sometimes doesn't look like gold (I'm easily impressed!).

Posted, it is very pleasant even for a large male hand. Smooth, immediate starter, good intro to the "quality" end of the market. And as others have said, a good steel nib (M200) is as good as any gold nib.

Just to chip in here...

As you know, Pelikan nibs are interchangeable between the M20x, M40x, (in some cases) M60x, and some vintage nibs.

His birthday is in a few months, but Christmas is only a few weeks away. For Christmas, you could get him a pen with whatever body he likes (striped, solid, etc. etc.) with a steel or gold nib...and then later for his birthday get him a couple of gold nibs in different sizes so he can swap them around. Two (pelikans) with one stone?

bayesianprior.png