M200 Vs M400 Vs M405 (Gift Advice Wanted)

Nanya

So my SO's birthday is coming up in a few months. Over time I learned he really likes fountain pens as well and has taken quite a liking to Pelikan, especially after seeing my M600 but he doesn't own a Pelikan yet and his most expensive pen so far is in the 50-100 range.

I thought to myself what would be a better gift than his very own Pelikan?

Problem is that I can't quite choose which one to give him. I want to give him a pen that can last him a very very long time and have it engraved with his name. I know there's quite a gap between the m200 and the m400/405 but I find it hard to figure out if the difference in smoothness is worth the difference in price. He prefers medium to fine nibs so I think a Pelikan EF will be perfect for him .

Also is it true that the mob of a m405 will last longer than that of an m400? Or will they last about the same time. Could anyone tell me their experience with the different models?

Thank you so much! And sorry for all the noobquestions hehe.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nanya

• Bo Bo Olson

• Notgatherox

• Violet.Ink

OK, essentially the M200 and M400 have the same dimensions, weight whatnot with the exception that the M400 sports a 14k gold nib,

As for the M400 and M405, it's the same pen save for the trim, models ending with a "0" have gold trim and models ending with a "5" have silver coloured (rhodium?) trim.

Any Pelikan will last for a long time given proper care - just look the the vintage Pels that have survived!

Now, given that his pens are in the 50-100 dollar range, I'm going to guess he hasn't tried a gold nib. The gold nibs on Pelikan are wet compared to their steel nibs, and if he likes a finer line he may find them overly wet. Smoothness wise, I find them similar (I own a M605 and a M200 now, used to own a M400)

So I would suggest getting him the recently reintroduced M200 green marbled EF. Or if he prefers silver trim, get a M205. If he likes heavier pens, the M215 (metal body)

Hope I helped!

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

@Lord Epic: Well I did (under my watchful eyes of course) let him try out my M600 which happens to be an EF and he liked the writing with that .

Oh the green marbled M200 does look very classy although to me it doesn't look as nice as the striped M400. But I will definitely look into it.

@Lord Epic: Well I did (under my watchful eyes of course) let him try out my M600 which happens to be an EF and he liked the writing with that .

Oh the green marbled M200 does look very classy although to me it doesn't look as nice as the striped M400. But I will definitely look into it.

My striped M605 don't show the ink level as well as the M200 with an ink window, and that's my gripe with it. Of course, if your recipient doesn't find it an issue, by all means get the striped version. ;)

I would also like to suggest the Amethyst M205. Pretty pen that one, especially when paired with the Amethyst ink.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
And I want before I die

Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

@Lord Epic: Oh that is a very pretty one and purple happens to be his favorite color of all time! And I've already found it for a pretty price as well ;-)

@Lord Epic: Oh that is a very pretty one and purple happens to be his favorite color of all time! And I've already found it for a pretty price as well ;-)

Sounds like you might have already got a decision! :D

Great to hear, glad I managed to help!

I think he'll love the gift, I know I would!

~Epic

A sincere man am I
And I want before I die

Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Yes I hope he will like receiving it as much as I will like giving it to him. And thanks so much for the advice!

Having M200s, M250s and M400s, I consider the M400 nibs to be significantly better than the M200 nibs. The pens feel about the same, and so that is just cosmetics. The 14K nibs are better in being smoother in the fine and extra fine sizes particularly. It's enough of a difference that I have upgraded the M200s to either M600 14K or M400 14K nibs. The M600 B nib fits perfectly in the M200 gray marble I have, and the cap does close completely.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

@ pagaro: Yes I know some sites in the UK offer the option to upgrade to a 14c nib. And that is something I'm seriously considering as I for myself really enjoy my m600 which has a 14c nib as well. Do you find the pen to write with a thicker line now that you have upgraded it?

I don't reckon you can go wrong with any of them and it could just end up with it all getting down to the price. Pelikans are great and I look forward to seeing the outcome posted on here in the future!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

My blue striped M400 Fine is exquisite. I like fine points and this one hasn't disappointed me at all, even though I was expecting to only be satisfied with an EF. The nib is so wonderfully glidey (my new word for the day). I just got an M805 but haven't inked it yet as I will be sending it off as soon as I can to get a Shawn Newton binde...

I suggest buying him a used 400 from before 1998. Then you have a gold nib that is as good as the 200 steel one for having some spring.

If all one is after is a big fat blobby semi-nail smooth nib buy a modern post '97 400/600.

You can always buy him a 200 nib with a bit of spring to it, that is a tad narrower and not too tip heavy,, like the modern gold ones. One should not let a child turn into a gold snob. :unsure:

Nor let him have the impression a semi-nail is a (true) regular flex. Cost you about $25 to get him a wider 200 nib....an M? to go with the EF.

I was one for a while....passing up real good Osmia pens...in they were not gold. :doh: That is a pen where the gold and steel nibs are both great and =.

I have a semi-flex 400n B nib on my 605... some day I'll turn that fat blob of a 600 nib into a CI or Stub.

I trans-mail things to a guy in England, because a lot of German idiots don't mail to England or want to gouge on the mail. I've had 8-10 of the 200 nibs come through my hands. I like that they are still 'true' regular flex like the '80's-97 M400s.

In I have a semi-vintage and vintage 400s, didn't want to buy a 200, so bought a 215 which has a 200's nib. I find the M nib to be smooth.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

His first Pelikan and a male personally if I had the money I would buy him a M600 green with a fine nib. The green is the classic colour and the M600 is still a reasonable size for a male to use posted or unposted in my humble opinion. The Pelikan will also have a 3 month nib change over period if he decides he wants the EF personally I find the EF just that little bit too fine for me, but good for writing on lower quality paper or in pocket diaries.

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

The m200 is made of different materials than the m400. The sections on the m200 have a small seam. The m400 is finished a bit better. Like Bobo, I prefer the older 400s but they are all great pens.

Edited by Scribblesoften

You have a great diversity here. I recently bought the M215 F Nib and if the person is tall and has big hands it might be an issue for longer writing sessions. For a steel Nib it writes very well and if you like the amethyst then you should buy it however I would put Fit/size above design. Maybe you find an M600 for a good price. I personally would not bother with the M400. It does have a gold nib but again, the size might be an issue. If you have money left add a bottle of ink. its nice to play around with the piston filler just after receiving your present.

I completely agree with Bo Bo Olson if you know your way around the methods to acquire used but in good condition M400s, like websites or pen shows. For me a pre 97 m400 would be a better gift than other options. Don't get me wrong, classic series are awesome, they are really full of quality but if you ask me a Souveran, even a m400, is in a different league. You will have a more quality material, a gold nib, a classic and the fantastic design of the striped Souveran and a pen with memories, experience maybe more than me depending on it's year, that is why it is more appealing to me but it is of course a risk, you can always consider a fresh m200 which is a guarantee solution, by the way i think the most gorgeous m200 currently is Cafe Creme edition but i think Amethyst is a popular and good choice too.

Edited by DnzUlc

Taken into consideration all the things you guys said I'm looking here on the classifieds for an old m400 or a m600. So far in the ads I've seen all the pens have been very reasonably priced. I even replied to an ad where fplover01 sells a complete old green 400 set (including mechanical pencil and ball point) for less than the price of a new m400!

Given the amount of ads on the classifieds I think it's very likely I will find something suitable, if not I can always put up a wtb.

It's a 5-6 week nib exchange not three months.

If you post a 400 it is not a small pen. It is a standard pen and IMO standard and medium large pens should be posted....they are then long enough and have the brilliant balance you want....that Large pens just don't have. A bit of wax stops mars. And the Pelikan cap is a good one...I'd not noticed any mars on any of the 'old used' semi or vintage pens I've bought.

the medium large 600 is a tad wider...a very nice size. (both are) There are some very beautiful 600s for him to buy later. I have a semi-flex B nib from my tortoise 400n('56 only) on my 605.

Sooner or later he will get into semi-flex....and having the pen, needs only to buy the vintage nib, be that the 200 or the 400.

In the 50-60's standard pens were standard, and a P-51 is a medium large pen (like the 600) were the normal pens of the time....there were very few Large pens....in folks wrote with regular pens a lot more and longer than today....and liked a nimble pen.

Get him a good used 400, in EF and a 200's nib (@$25) in M.

No one will know it's supposed to have a gold nib, unless he tells them. Then he gets that true regular flex nib and in M it will be smooth in it is wider and have the experience of using a nib with the natural spring they use to have, also.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have an old style m400. It's my favorite pen. The size works for me unposted and is very comfortable, the nib is (in my opinion) perfect, and the striped body is beautiful. It's a wonderful pen.

"Oh deer."