Experiences With Shimmering Inks

Venemo

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/album/Journal/Black_Red_Green_Inky/20151112_141551.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Venemo

• migo984

• Chrissy

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/album/Journal/Black_Red_Green_Inky/20151112_141600.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/album/Journal/Black_Red_Green_Inky/20151112_141607.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/album/Journal/Black_Red_Green_Inky/20151112_141428.jpg

These inks are the fountain pen's answer to glitter gel pens. I am honestly shocked by the popularity.

Maybe Rhodia should get in touch with Lisa frank for a collab deal.

Needless to say, sheen is enough for me. Subtle, yet effective. Add glitter, and I'm gone.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

These inks are the fountain pen's answer to glitter gel pens. I am honestly shocked by the popularity.

Maybe Rhodia should get in touch with Lisa frank for a collab deal.

Needless to say, sheen is enough for me. Subtle, yet effective. Add glitter, and I'm gone.

I like that you know about Lisa Frank.

Amberleadavis, thank you for the written notes. They are very much appreciated. I like the way you write. :)

The only shimmery ink I use (or have) is a generous sample of J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite. I've had it in a Platinum Preppy (0.3) for a few months now, and even with infrequent use, it almost always starts right up, nice flow, no problems.

Until recently. Been hard-starting lately, but I guess I'm not surprised. I wouldn't be surprised if the same pen and same use over the past few months with a non-shimmery ink started giving me hard starts. I like the Preppy, though, cos I can see the feed... and if it gets clogged enough, I can take it apart and use an old toothbrush to clean it.

I wouldn't use shimmery inks in expensive or vintage pens. Or pens I couldn't take apart and clean with an old toothbrush if need be.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Amberleadavis, thank you for the written notes. They are very much appreciated. I like the way you write. :)

Thank you! Anytime you want, PM me your address and in the future, I'll mail the letters to you.

Immediately after receiving samples, I filled pens with each color. This is unusual for me. I have many, many yet untested inks that are awaiting their initial trial. I guess I must really like sparkly inks.

So far, the only problem I have had is with Blue Lightning. It leaks out into the cap of my Monteverde Prima, a pen that I have never had this issue with before. So much does it leak, that I can not write with it until after I wipe it off and do not post the cap.

Otherwise, my experience with the unevensess is opposite of what I read in this thread. Mine write as if with out and sparkles for a few lines and then they flow put in huge amounts. This uneveness, in the colors I've noticed it with, does not bother me. Adds a uniquness that I like.

A couple of colors are not so impressive, but over all I do like this line of inks.

Edited by Tinjapan

Otherwise, my experience with the unevensess is opposite of what I read in this thread. Mine write as if with out and sparkles for a few lines and then they flow put in huge amounts. This uneveness, in the colors I've noticed it with, does not bother me. Adds a uniquness that I like.

Which pens did you use the shimmering inks with?

Other than the pens I use for work, I have no problem with my inks being expressing and "blingy", as I write for the pleasure of myself and others. I have the full set of Diamine's shimmer inks, as well as Stormy Grey and Emeraude de Chivor, and only use them in my two vintage pens (Faber-Castell and Polo), as they are wet and soft/flexy. The shimmer is inconsistent, but that only complements the charm and beauty of the whole idea of these types of inks. None of them has clogged and they were perfectly fine to clean out.

fpn_1448186010__p1010475_2.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

I do not want to put any in my piston fill pens, so I got some od the Diamine Shimmertastic and loaded in Parsons Essential pens, not real cheap pens, but at least convertor fill, so I can remove and clean convertor and soak/flush the nib unit with a bulb syringe if needed.

Regards

Jeff

Currently have the Magical Forest in a no name kit pen with a medium nib. It was fine when I put it in, and has not been stopping when writing. However, I wonder if I need to put it in a broad nib, or a wetter nib pen to better see the shimmer. I'm still thinking of using it for holiday cards, though I stupidly bought cards with red envelopes so I don't know how it is going to show up.

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

It didn't show up very well on my red paper. It really needs a WET nib in order to see the shimmer. Broad or Fine is less critical than WET.