Pilot Metropolitan Mr // Retro Pop

tejo

Interesting discussion. I have one of the plain silver Metropolitans with an M nib, and whatever the heck squeeze converter that it came with (I got it last Christmas at Bromfield Pen Shop in Boston). I tried both the M and F nibs, and vastly preferred the M (the F I tried seemed scratchy).

While I like some of the colors of the new retro-pop ones, I mostly don't like the little designs on them (that foo-foo stuff above the section). Which is why I have a plain one. I liked the color of the Violet Leopard that Pilot came out with last year -- just not the stupid spots.

If Pilot made the nifty colors but plain otherwise I would really consider buying a second one -- I've been really impressed with the quality and durability of the one I have, especially at the price they're charging. But I'm wondering if they're trying to go for the beginner/student market (hence the bright colors and the funky -- but extraneous -- detailing).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tejo

• brg5658

• shea2812

• DiCHi93

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I knew about the difference between the European/non fill versions but wasn't aware of the med only nib restriction. I assume the nibs are still swappable, so a standard cart body could be matched with the popular fine nib or even the EF on the plastic penmanship. However, the proprietary version is what is also used on the Plumix, Parallel, and the VP. The carts hold more ink, but that wide opening is a bit risky for spillage and leakage.

I am a bit envious of the standard cart config, but am really so about the boxes in the picture. All of my Metroolitans came in the generic metal box with the clear window on top. Understated but boring if you like the bright new pen colors with that matching box. And that oversize box looks like it might have multiple uses if the interior permits. I am one of those people who likes the packaging to be useful, interesting, or both :) The outer box goes into the paper recycling bin, so no problem there.

KEEP CALM AND BOOGIE ON!

SILENCE IS GOLDEN, BUT DUCT TAPE IS SILVER.

The Metropolitan I ordered for my daughter came today and of course I had to take a peek. My first thought was that I'd have to get one for myself. The size seemed perfect for me and it's good looking too.

www.lettermatters.com

P.O. Box 196 Kingsburg, CA 93631

Hi Shea2812,

Seeing your picture of a Metropolitan fountainpen with also an international converter, i was wondering what brand converter you were supplied with.

What puzzles me too is the Pilot’s policy to supply a proprietary converter in the North American countries and a standard international converter in Europe and apparently Malaysia/Asia too.

There is no marking of brand whatsover but there is a springlike agitator inside which I think reduce further the amount of ink you can fill, not that I mind that much.

As to why we are having the MR version I am not really sure but I do know for a fact that as a market we are non-existence on the map FP wise. There are relatively few users of FP in this country at the moment unlike twenty years ago when secondary students were using them. Nor are use of cartridges popular. I can sense the decline of FP use by seeing less of them bottled inks being sold. But the bonus for me is I only paid a little over USD11 equivalent in local currency at current exchange rate and lower still for the white Zebra piano finish. I suppose a few notice that the white has different finish, it is sort of laquer rather than matte like other colors. Getting the MR version is a bonus, but we do not get the option of F nib. I have one of mine fitted with F stub from my old Pilot Calligraphy pen (which I believe being marketed in the west as Plumix but with better material)

post-126314-0-98289000-1448383485_thumb.jpg

Edited by shea2812

Interesting discussion. I have one of the plain silver Metropolitans with an M nib, and whatever the heck squeeze converter that it came with (I got it last Christmas at Bromfield Pen Shop in Boston). I tried both the M and F nibs, and vastly preferred the M (the F I tried seemed scratchy).

While I like some of the colors of the new retro-pop ones, I mostly don't like the little designs on them (that foo-foo stuff above the section). Which is why I have a plain one. I liked the color of the Violet Leopard that Pilot came out with last year -- just not the stupid spots.

If Pilot made the nifty colors but plain otherwise I would really consider buying a second one -- I've been really impressed with the quality and durability of the one I have, especially at the price they're charging. But I'm wondering if they're trying to go for the beginner/student market (hence the bright colors and the funky -- but extraneous -- detailing).

I suppose the 'foo-foo' stuff in the middle is just to make the pen looks more balance when capped. I can imagine the Pilot Metro/MR will look a little funny if that part of the pen is made the same as the rest.

I chose the white tiger because it was tiger themed, not because I wanted a white pen or a Pilot MR.

The pen impressed me though. It shows you don't have to pay a lot to get a good pen. I'd prefer it had the calligraphy M nib I got on a Prera.

Massdrop has a great deal on the Retro Pop pens. A pen pal got 4 that way. I'm looking to get the purple and either green or turquoise, which with shipping will be $12 each. You have to buy two. The purple pattern is called ellipse. It looks like it has crescent and full moons, and I like that.

Posted Image

• 3 years later...

Personally have bought all of my Metropolitans with a fine nib and love it to pieces. It's a solid performer - the line is fina and clear with my standard pressure on the pen; was annoyed with a recent purchase of a Baoer 3018 with a 'fine' nib that my standard pressure was making the line a good deal thicker, so I either had to hold back or turn the nib upside down to get a fine line back.

Frankly, I feel that the Metros are marvelous, fiddle-free good and reliable pens, and I'd heartily recommend them to anyone starting out or just looking for a good, cheap pen. I bought into the recent Massdrop and got all four of the new colors in fine for about $11 US a pen.

~ This comment reflects my experience.

The Leaf Green Pilot MR 88G F nib on my writing desk performs well.

Tom K.

I like some of the Retro Pop colors. But don't really like the "trim designs" that go with them -- including for the purple. I've considered getting a grey one with the houndstooth design above the section. IF I could get one with a stub nib.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."