The Weekly Sketch ~ Themed Drawing Prompts For Members

Pira

WEEK #1: Morning Beverage - Water in Glass Cup

PEN: Pilot Plumix

INK: Pilot Black - Cartridge

SHADING: Faber-Castell Albrecht Durer Pencil

PAPER: Onion Skin

fpn_1447479078__2015-11-13_233053.jpg

No coffee for me... only tea after lunch. Same cup.

I strategically let the ice melt first before sketching :D

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• snowbear

• amberleadavis

• Tas

• Pira

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No coffee for me... only tea after lunch. Same cup.

I strategically let the ice melt first before sketching :D

What? No coffee ?! How on earth do you function ?

Gorgeous sketch.

What? No coffee ?! How on earth do you function ?

Gorgeous sketch.

Hmmm... good question. :P

Love you sketch LuMA! Bravely taking on a transparent object! :)

Thank you Pira and Tas

I admit it was not easy! All week I have been staring at the mug, kicking myself for not having bought an opaque one instead.

Week #2 ~ toothbrush

...and you thought this was going to be a simple one. Bet few (if any) of you have a straight toothbrush. Do they even make those anymore? :D

22647572209_42483ebc4e_b.jpgFPN Weekly Sketch ~ #2 by Pira Urosevic, on Flickr

Sheaffer ~ Green ink (yeah I don't know why they call it that either)

Vintage Sheaffer Valiant pen

#6 Round Watercolour brush

Stillman&Birn, Zeta paper

Edited by Pira

fpn_1447646946__cup_151115.jpg

I can't keep up. Lamy Al-Star, Chesterfield Ernite.

So wished I could draw that loose. Love it.

Pira. I that was me I'd have gone out and bought another toothbrush to draw. Waay too complex, but your sketch is spot on. Respect !

I was looking at everyone's cups and wondering if whether being right or left handed affects the way you place the cup's handle to the right or the left? Some cups come with a front and back (patterns, prints etc) but if the cup is plain, why did you place your cup the way you did in your drawing?

For me, I tend to have the cup's handle to the right and place the cup to my right of my work area as I am right handed. So that's the usual position that I see most of my cups facing me. For my husband who is left handed, I try to turn the cup after I place it on the table so that the handle faces the left for him but I often forget :P. Just a nonsensical observation...

Tas: I really liked your moody cup (with the broken handle to the right :) ) drawing, I have never thought of using coffee for paint. Does the paper have a lovely aroma of coffee? I love the way kitties lean against you with more pressure as you give them head scratches.

Snowbear: Bummer about those nibs. No kitty for the new drawing? The transparency of the toothbrush handle is beautifully done!

LuMA: Wonderful rendition of glass! I never know how to shadow a glass object but you did it brilliantly!

Pira: The organic curves and shadows in your #2 is beautiful. And yes I did think toothbrush might be simpler than it turned out to be... My kids have these crazy coloured and shaped toothbrushes that scream to be drawn but I am going to rummage through in the cupboards for freebie Qantas airlines giveaway toothbrushes I think we still got somewhere... I am tempted to go shopping just to find the perfectly "drawable" toothbrush. :lticaptd:

Ted: I like your lines. What size nib is in your Al-Star?

Lovely drawings, both with the drinks and now the toothbrushes.

Here's my Week #2 sketch.

My pen choice today was mainly decided by the fact that my toothbrush is blue and I only have one EF pen with blue (-ish) ink at the moment.

Pencil outline / proportions first.

TWSBI Diamond 530 EF.

Diamine Registar's.

Moleskine Pocket Sketchbook.

post-54491-0-17027800-1447674444_thumb.jpg

I was looking at everyone's cups and wondering if whether being right or left handed affects the way you place the cup's handle to the right or the left? Some cups come with a front and back (patterns, prints etc) but if the cup is plain, why did you place your cup the way you did in your drawing?

For me, I tend to have the cup's handle to the right and place the cup to my right of my work area as I am right handed. So that's the usual position that I see most of my cups facing me. For my husband who is left handed, I try to turn the cup after I place it on the table so that the handle faces the left for him but I often forget :P. Just a nonsensical observation...

Tas: I really liked your moody cup (with the broken handle to the right :) ) drawing, I have never thought of using coffee for paint. Does the paper have a lovely aroma of coffee? I love the way kitties lean against you with more pressure as you give them head scratches.

Snowbear: Bummer about those nibs. No kitty for the new drawing? The transparency of the toothbrush handle is beautifully done!

LuMA: Wonderful rendition of glass! I never know how to shadow a glass object but you did it brilliantly!

Pira: The organic curves and shadows in your #2 is beautiful. And yes I did think toothbrush might be simpler than it turned out to be... My kids have these crazy coloured and shaped toothbrushes that scream to be drawn but I am going to rummage through in the cupboards for freebie Qantas airlines giveaway toothbrushes I think we still got somewhere... I am tempted to go shopping just to find the perfectly "drawable" toothbrush. :lticaptd:

Ted: I like your lines. What size nib is in your Al-Star?

Seeing the wonderful work everyone is doing really inspires me.

Thank you. Zoe and Bell were off doing other things when I did that drawing but I have a feeling they might show up for the next one.

I am right handed but I hold a cup with my left hand. I think I may have started doing this to when I smoked; I'd have the cigarette in the right hand and the drink in the left. The cigarettes are long gone but I continue to use my left hand to drink.

Mine's an electric jobbie........

Rotring Art Pen (Sketch EF) and Rotring black drawing ink

Washes - Seitz-Kreuznach Arctic Blue

Diamine Prussian Blue

Iroshizuku Kiri-same

Paper: Daler Rowney Eco Drawing 120gsm

Verba volant, scripta manent

I love the contrast between Pira's clean and cheery toothbrush and migo984's moody electric brush, both excellent drawings, both line and wash and yet so different.

Mine's an electric jobbie........

So's mine . . . :)

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_pira_nov_2_2015.jpg

TWSBI 540 - ground M nib, probably an F now.

Ink - lines Octopus Black / wash J Herbin Gris Nuage (still wet so it's nice and dark)

Paper - CASS Art Watercolour 300gsm.

Tas, Thank you. Loose lines for me result from being a very amateur sketcher.

SNAK. I drew the cup with the Lamy 1.1mm italic. It was the only pen I had at hand when I decided to do the sketch, but having the different widths available worked out for me.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

I think it's GREAT that you guys are embracing this weekly theme project! It's so much fun to see the different interpretations of simple objects ~ styles, inks and pens.

Ted A ~ No rush on these. Do what you can at your own pace. Cherry pick the list if you wish (just remember not to post it until it is due, if you work ahead) ...and of course after the assigned week you can post the image any time you wish. These are prompts for fun. :) Super little mug by the way.

SNAK ~ Regarding your question about the direction of the cup handle in our drawings: I am right-handed but I placed the handle to the left to draw. It had nothing to do with ease of drinking ...rather I think it was just for compostion sake to my eye.

As for those organic curves on the tootbrush....I was a bit taken aback by the thing when I actually 'looked' at it and finally threw in the towel and put down light pencil lines to guide me. I give up on the pencil free ink drawings. It becomes a question of how much paper I want to waste and maintaining a healthy blood pressure. :lol:

milkb0at ~ oh you nailed the perspective and proportions. Go-Go pencil lines! :) ...and thank-you.

migo984 ~ Ooh like your electric jobbie. Such a contrast to all us oral hygiene luddites with our old schoolish brushes B)

Graphophile ~ and what-ho, it's more dental spinniffery. Nice composition and addition of toothpaste.

You guys are awesome! Keep them coming!!!