Montblanc Service Issues

hkwinger

Hello. This is my first post but I just wanted to see if any longtime members can give me some experiences that they have had. I am not really a pen collector but I do enjoy the montblanc brand. I have been purchasing a pen or two per year over the past 10 or so years. I currently own 14 pens mostly meisterstucks. One of my favorite pens is a 145 that I purchased about 7 years ago. I sent this back to MB at their Texas service center and they performed the repair and installed a new nib on the pen on October 30th. They invoiced me on November 2nd. I paid for overnight shipping but did not receive the pen for a few days. I called in and got a tracking number for a label that was created on November 3rd but it was never scanned into the system. It was for overnight service and my pen was supposed to be delivered on the 4th. As of the 6th it has not ever been scanned or delivered to date. I called today and they were very nice over the phone but blamed the entire situation on Fedex stating that MB has 62 quality control checks so pens don't get lost at MB. They told me that they filed a claim with Fedex and are awaiting them to pay for the pen and at that time they will work with me to send me a new one if it was lost. They let me know that I need to wait until Fedex accepts their claim before I can get resolution to my situation. I am very disappointed in the level of service for a premium branded product and wondered if any of you have had a similar situation. I was told that since Fedex lost my pen, they would be buying me a new one. Not very comforting for someone who just sent one of their favorite pens in and paid 250 for a new nib and relied on the name Montblanc for quality service.

I know that I have no choice but to wait the 2 weeks that they estimated it would take Fedex to pay a claim. I am a bit skeptical because Fedex could simply say that they never received the package and I am worried about what may happen if they don't pay the claim. I do have a weird felling based on my conversation that the pen may have been misplaced prior to shipping but who knows. I know I should have used the boutique but I decided to overnight the pen myself. I think that is a lesson learned, as my services from the boutique have gone fairly well in the past and I was just being lazy shipping it straight to MB.

I just wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone had any tips or advice on how to navigate through this situation. Thanks for your help in advance. I hope to be a contributor on this forum moving forward.

Edited by hkwinger

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hkwinger

• Blade Runner

• FredRydr

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really feel sad for you because exactly the same thing happened to me Christmas 2013. It wasn't Montblanc for me though.

I sent my top designer brand watch away for a service through my best friend's jewellery shop, and when that was sent back from the Company that did the service, it's tracking number was never scanned in. Just like your one. Nor did it ever show up. An employee of the mail company turned out to have stolen it and several other packages over a few months.

It took time, especially because it was over Christmas and the New Year period. However, I received a brand new replacement by the end of January, and I'm better off because my old watch was worth much less.

It's going to be a difficult couple of weeks while you wait, but at the end of it, you will have a brand new pen. Montblanc just have to go through whatever their standard process is for occurrences like this.

This may, or may not be Montblanc's fault, but one thing I am sure of -at least in the United States- is that Montblanc's service center in Texas leaves a lot to be desired. I have had some negative experiences with them mostly for not standing behind their products. As we all know, Montblanc products are anything but cheap, thus I would expect them to really be long-lasting.

My most recent negative experience was with my Hommage a W.A. Mozart Platinum Ballpoint pen and a leather Hommage a W.A. Mozart Notepad Holder, which has a pen loop in it. The inside of the loop completely scratched my pen and they would not accept their fault. My pen had ONLY been inside that loop and nowhere else. I had to pay over $125 dollars for them to fix my pen. Unacceptable!

post-122075-0-81226500-1446949484_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Good news. I purchased an Albert Einstein, it should be arriving in a few days!

Bad news. Mont Blanc USA Service is possibly the worst customer service departments I have ever dealt with. 2 weeks ago I spoke with a supervisor about my lost pen as described above. She told me to call back in 2 weeks and I would be taken care of. I was taken care of alright. I called today and I spoke with an "ambassador". She informed me that I still needed Fedex to admit guilt and pay MB before I get anything, keep waiting. Could be weeks more. When I asked to speek to the supervisor, I was told she was unavailable, but if she was available, she would just tell me the same thing. I was strongly told that MB simply does not loose pens ever, period. It is absolutely not the responsibility of MontBlanc and legally its completely Fedex's responsibility.

If this is their policy I highly question the chain of custody. Remember, the package was supposed to arrive weeks ago on a Monday. I called and days later and I was later emailed the tracking number for a shipping label that was printed after the time I called. Of course that package never arrived or was ever scanned.

I realize that its a cheaper 145 pen and I get the feeling that Montblanc thinks that I am making much ado about nothing. What if this was the new Warhol limited to 100 that costs 30,000 USD or similar pen sent in for a nib change or repair? Would they be comfortable telling that owner the same thing?

I have got my boutique involved, even though I did not want to. The store manager was very nice and sent a few emails and offered me a loaner pen to take home. The thing that really bothers me is that she said that this was not an uncommon occurrence.

I have my credit card bill for the repair sitting on my desk waiting to get paid it has been so long. I am considering contesting the charge as I have not received the repair. The ambassador did reiterate that under no circumstance would I receive a credit for this charge because Montblanc did their part.

I caution all of you to not send your items into MB USA directly. I absolutely should have taken it down to the boutique.

If anyone has an email contact at corporate I would appreciate it. I wonder if the higher ups know what kind of experience people can receive from the service center. I plan to make a stink about this on general principal. I feel that people and companies need to be held accountable. After all I have nothing (more) to loose.

Edited by hkwinger

FedEx ought to have the tracking record to prove someone at MB accepted it. If there's no proof of item arriving at MB, how can you blame MB?

FedEx ought to have the tracking record to prove someone at MB accepted it. If there's no proof of item arriving at MB, how can you blame MB?

This situation is that this is my pen that they are sending back to me after they replaced the NIB. Fedex never scanned it as received from them. Only a label was printed by Montblanc.

Do you work at Montblanc?........Just Kidding.........need to have bit of humor when dealing with situations like these.

Edited by hkwinger

This situation is that this is my pen that they are sending back to me after they replaced the NIB. Fedex never scanned it as received from them. Only a label was printed by Montblanc.

Do you work at Montblanc?........Just Kidding.........need to have bit of humor when dealing with situations like these.

Still sounds like FedEx's fault if they didn't process it correctly.

A label can be printed and never affixed. I'd say it's impossible to determine "blame."

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

Mont Blanc USA Service is possibly the worst customer service departments I have ever dealt with.

If anyone has an email contact at corporate I would appreciate it.

I've found they provided good service, even after I've taken them to task on issues that I disagreed with. My only wishes are that (1) they hadn't moved from Bethlehem PA to Texas, and (2) that Texas and New York worked closer so that they do not provide conflicting information.

Email? Type or write a letter to Montblanc NA, Olympic Tower, 645 5th Ave, 5th Floor, New York, NY 10022. https://www.richemont.com/about-richemont/locations.html

However, think carefully whether you want to expend your customer capital on a shipping dispute that Montblanc may have no recourse or liability. If you haven't made a FedEx loss claim, consider that before raising hell with Montblanc over a missing pen. I think the loaner pen is the perfect response considering that FedEx may be the culprit.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

I've found they provided good service, even after I've taken them to task on issues that I disagreed with. My only wishes are that (1) they hadn't moved from Bethlehem PA to Texas, and (2) that Texas and New York worked closer so that they do not provide conflicting information.

Email? Type or write a letter to Montblanc NA, Olympic Tower, 645 5th Ave, 5th Floor, New York, NY 10022. https://www.richemont.com/about-richemont/locations.html

However, think carefully whether you want to expend your customer capital on a shipping dispute that Montblanc may have no recourse or liability. If you haven't made a FedEx loss claim, consider that before raising hell with Montblanc over a missing pen. I think the loaner pen is the perfect response considering that FedEx may be the culprit.

Fred

I guess I see what you are saying.

Fedex says that it takes no responsibility until the package is scanned into their possession. Montblanc's responsibility ends when they print the label. There is a gap and I guess I was unlucky and got caught in the gap. Again I was just expecting a little better level of service from Montblanc. When I send something in the mail or Fedex, and it is expensive, I will not just print a label and drop it into a container. I will go up to the counter and get a scanned receipt so if it is lost by the delivery service, I have proof and they can't say that I never gave it to them and therefore deny my claim.

I guess I would just expect MB to take care of the situation like a five star service company that they should be and not make the customer wait until Fedex gets back to them once the item is clearly lost. Whoever's at fault for the lost item, the customer should get a good experience from MB. Especially if told to call back in 2 weeks. I don't think the answer should have been call back in 2 more weeks.

I feel MB should replace the pen in a timely fashion regardless if or even how long it takes them to get money from Fedex. If Fedex does eventually pay the claim, why make the customer wait? If the claim from Fedex is denied why should the customer loose the money? What could I have done to prevent this situation?

I agree the boutique is stepping up and offering me a loaner. Of course I don't need it, but it is a good gesture from them.

Edited by hkwinger

What could I have done to prevent this situation?

You could personally hand deliver the object, wait while repairs are done and personally pick up the object once the service is completed.

It really is that simple.

Once we delegate our jobs to others we should live within the limits and constraints of the contract. So far from everything you have posted both Montblanc and FedEx have been operating within those limits and constraints. You too need to live with those limits and constraints.

Yet another argument in favor of using independent, expert pen craftsmen whose personal reputation is on the line each and every time they perform a service. MB, on the other hand, doesn't need to care too much about the occasional dissatisfied customer: there are plenty more where that one came from. The independent pen repairer can't afford that level of remove. So, when my pens need work, I send them to someone who actually cares about the issue and has a personal stake in customer satisfaction.

With the usual disclaimers,

KAC

You could personally hand deliver the object, wait while repairs are done and personally pick up the object once the service is completed.

It really is that simple.

Once we delegate our jobs to others we should live within the limits and constraints of the contract. So far from everything you have posted both Montblanc and FedEx have been operating within those limits and constraints. You too need to live with those limits and constraints.

This is true. It is also true that in my opinion, ALL pen service centers leave much to be desired. But I did wish they didn't call their employees "ambassadors." It makes everyday occurrences seem like international conflicts.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

With the usual disclaimers,

Yes, particularly the parts issue. Except for pens that must be authentic to their manufacture date to preserve their collectible value, many repairs are far less expensive and efficient if sent to Montblanc for repair simply because Montblanc throws new parts at a pen until it works properly, at a flat rate. Independents have difficulty getting their hands on Montblanc parts, and that's the way Montblanc wants to keep it.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

The saga is over. Rant ending.

So I get a call from my boutique to let me know the M Screenwriter is in yesterday. I go into the store to pick it up and the manager asks me if I received my pen back from repair (she sent an email on my behalf a few days ago). I said no and she acted surprised. She went into her office for about 20 minutes and came out and told me that she spoke with a name I forget (the general manager) and everything was taken care of. I thanked her thinking MB would send me a replacement pen soon.

I get home today and I got a package from MB. It's my pen. Not a replacement. Mine with the original serial number and scratches. Repair done. I tracked the number and it was picked up yesterday by Fedex about 3 hours after she made the call and it was sent to me overnight.

Amazing. Paperwork and label was dated and created yesterday so I am guessing it may have not been lost by fedex after all. I am just happy to have my exact pen back in my possession. I should have got the General Managers name and info so I can send him and the boutique manager a thank you.

I still don't recommend that you send your items directly to MB in Dallas. I always had the feeling that no one communicated with each other when I called in. My emails and voice mails went completely unanswered and I had to hope that someone picked up the phone when I called which was only about half the time. Even when I got through, I felt that they consistently gave me inaccurate information. I still feel my experience with them was sub par.

Edited by hkwinger

hkwinger​,

I'm glad your pen was returned, and your lessons are well learned for those who are near a boutique.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

I've used MB service in TX, and they have done well by me. Once a pen had to go back a second time, because I wanted more flow, but they got it right in the end. If you want to talk about loooooong turnaround times and an absence of communication, try sending a pen to a repair center overseas where they don't speak English. And when they don't get it right, and it has to back overseas? There aren't many foreign brands with a repair center in the US. That's a big reason in favor of MB.

Sorry, but I would not have been satisfied with the situation and how it's resolved. It's MB's fault you haven't had the pen returned. In my company the despatch person has to witness all items being scanned by the freight companies. This is the case with most companies, and likely true with MB too. You contracted for a service and paid for its return. They failed to do that and failed to accept responsibility. You have a legitimate issue here to discuss with them. It later transpired that your pen was not dispatched at all, showing in all likelihood that they lied to you. A further issue to discuss with them. It's great you got your original pen back, but you have been denied the pleasure of use for an extended period. Yet another issue to discuss with them. I would write to MB in Germany, pointing out these issues and your disappointment in their service level and customer care. They need to know about your experience. If you stay silent then it'll happen again to someone else. Give MB the opportunity to improve its service.