• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drone

• Blue_Moon

• AndyYNWA

• baik12

TWSBI Eco is a pen I would recommend. I like the large size of it and I find it very comfortable for writing. If you are interested in stub nibs, I think TWSBI do one of the most pleasing stubs out there (just be careful of the sizing). I have a few expensive stubs that aren't nearly as good. The Eco also holds a lot more ink and you can see it sloshing about in there if you like that kind of thing. Posted, the Eco is very long; I quite like this. Some have complained that the cap does not post securely and keeps falling off, but the one I have is fine. There are always fears about cracking, but TWSBI (and others) say this has been addressed.

The Lamy is a decent writer, but for me lacks a bit of excitement. Sometimes I don't mind the forced grip, but at other times during long writing sessions it starts to irritate me. Both are light pens, but I suspect the Lamy is lighter (but I don't know for sure). The Lamy is a good bit thinner in the grip and the body of the pen, so you might want to consider that in relation to how big your hands are. The Lamy might be more robust if you are looking for a pen you can chuck into a bag and not worry about it getting beat up.

The Lamy is easy to clean (get a bulb syringe like the one from Goulet's!), a C/C pen which is practical for you to take around needing no bottle of ink, it has a tested through time design and it won't crack if you treat it correctly, and you can buy aditional nibs to change it to your preferred ones (7 types available) quite easily. The cons are that some people don't like the section and sometimes they don't like the clip (which I find to be excellent, easy to use and holds it tight in place).

The TWSBI Eco is a new pen, coming from an exciting brand with a known quality and design problem that causes cracking of parts of other models and there are quality issues starting to appear about the Eco too. It is a piston filler which probably can hold as much ink as a filled Lamy converter and an extra cartridge, so to most people a full Eco tank might be enough. It probably feels more like a regular fountain pen because it doesn't have a shaped section like the Vista (or Safari/AL-star). A piston demonstrator also will do a better job showing the ink, a C/C converter like the Vista will be a bit boring in that sense. People will probably be more impressed by the Eco. Another bad aspect for some people is that a piston filler with an uncovered piston knob might cause accidents, some people will turn them slightly making the pen spit ink, sometimes people manage to do it by twisting a posted cap. Also, piston pens are a bit harder to clean, and even though you can disassemble a TWSBI pen easily (they provide a tool), there is always risk of wearing the parts or making mistakes during reassembly.

I personally would buy both pens eventually, the Vista (or the Safari/AL-star) is a classic that everyone should try once, and the Eco is a new affordable piston pen that looks fun, and you will never know if you prefer piston pens if you don't try one. But if I had to buy only one for a while, the Vista would probably be more trustworthy as a workhorse pen.

Edited by arcadeflow

Lamy, hands down for the triangular grip and the durability. TWSBI can't seem to get their quality control together. They have a long history of problems with cracking.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I'd get both. In fact, I did.

They both offer different pros and cons (you can fill the Eco with a LOT of ink, the Vista's EZ-Kleenin, etc.), and why not get two different-size nibs while you're at it? Say an italic and an extra-fine.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I'm new at this but I think I can help.

I have both pens. I'm a student and so my pens are in my backpack which sometimes gets thrown about. I never put my pens in my pockets so I can't speak to that.

Both are awesome. Both are fine nib. The eco does out down a thinner line than the vista. Both pens are comparably equal size when posted the eco is a bit heavier. I don't mind the triangle grip of the vista but I like the grip of the eco. The evil holds a lot more ink than the vista does and it looks more aesthetically pleasing although ive had people ask to see both pens. Both pens are equally easy to clean if you ask me, again I'm new at this so I clean very often because I like changing ink colors. The vista posts very securely but my eco does not... My cap does fall off.

I like the eco a bit more because I like seeing the ink slosh around but that's not to say I don't like my vista. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Also I should mention I have a thing for demonstrators. I like the piston fill so much I bought a TWSBI 580. now that pen gets a bunch of stares and questions

Vista vs Eco is a question of if you want to write with your pen (get the Lamy) or play with your pen (the TWSBI). Lamy's are rock solid designs, that write well, and have a proven track record. My personal experience with TWSBI's have been less than stellar. They have the wow-factor in that it seems like you are getting a lot of pen for your money, but the overall writing experience leaves something to be desired. There are some who care how the ink gets in the pen - I am not one of them - I care how the ink comes out...

For swappable nibs, definitely Lamy. But Lamy Vista doesn't seal as well as the TWSBI Eco. I have no issues with the Eco so far. Have used it since it came out.

Lazy Vista: solid if unspectacular pen. Triangular sections hate me, and really start to bother me after a while, and I just plain don't want a pen to force me to hold a pen a particular way.

Twsbi Eco: they reduced the metal and increased the plastic, and even if they have improved their plastic drastically, it still seems to have issues. Kind of a bulky, inelagant cap. The JoWo nibs are decent, but I think there are better nibs out there. The attraction of this pen is that capacious piston filler at that low price. Twsbi has legendary great customer support.

If you don't mind the grip, get the Lamy. If max ink capacity is a priority, get the Twsbi.

In the vaguely $30 with converter price range, I prefer the Pilot Prera. You have to post it because it's a small pen, but I think they have better nibs than Lamy or Twsbi. And for that $30 price tag, you have to get it direct from Japan, or Amazon (I have Prime, so two day shipping is free - you either have to wait for forever and a day from Japan, or pay a lot to get expedited shipping to the point you might as well order it from Amazon Prime). But I wouldn't pay the $56-70 U.S. Price.

My Lamys are strangely scratchy even though I have broad nibs. They are OK, don't skip, hold enough ink.

My Eco stub is wonderful. It is butter smooth, light, holds a power of ink. What's not to like? With that price tag, I am hooked. No issues with the plastic at all.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I own the TWSBI Eco, the Lamy Safari, and the Lamy Vista. Of the three I recommend the Vista first and foremost, followed by the Charcoal Safari, and coming in a VERY distant third place is the TWSBI Eco.

Why does the Eco fail so miserably? It is simple, like all TWSBI pens, the Eco DOES NOT POST PROPERLY.

The Eco cap does not post securely. Air pressure in the cap forces the cap to pop-off, and the O-Ring the cap posts to, does not have enough grip on the cap. I am constantly having to push on the Eco cap to keep it posted. There's a whole thread on this subject in the TWSBI forum area.

What a shame. If it weren't for the cap problem, the Eco would have come in with a resounding first place.

I own the TWSBI Eco, the Lamy Safari, and the Lamy Vista. Of the three I recommend the Vista first and foremost, followed by the Charcoal Safari, and coming in a VERY distant third place is the TWSBI Eco.

Why does the Eco fail so miserably? It is simple, like all TWSBI pens, the Eco DOES NOT POST PROPERLY.

The Eco cap does not post securely. Air pressure in the cap forces the cap to pop-off, and the O-Ring the cap posts to, does not have enough grip on the cap. I am constantly having to push on the Eco cap to keep it posted. There's a whole thread on this subject in the TWSBI forum area.

What a shame. If it weren't for the cap problem, the Eco would have come in with a resounding first place.

Is the pen too small to be used unposed?

I have both the Safari and the Eco, and here are MY comments:

Here are common points with both pens.

+ Both pens are light. This makes them good for LONG writing sessions, where a heavy pen will make my hand tired.

- In my hands, both the Safari and the Eco are too tail heavy when posted, so I use both pens unposted. This is because both pens have rather large and heavy caps, relative to the body of the pen.

- I would consider the nibs of both pens to need adjustment to make them perform/feel as I would like them to. I had to adjust the EF nib on both my Eco and several of my Safari nibs. So both pens had nib issues which had to be corrected, and given the price point of the pens, I don't consider this to be an issue.

Safari:

+ Interchangeable nibs, from XF to B and 1.1,1.5 and 1.9mm CI/italic nibs. Although the price of the individual nib is about 50% of the price of a Safari or Eco, so why not just get a new pen for 50% more rather than a nib.

+ Established history of being a good performing and durable pen.

+ Easy to clean a cartridge/converter pen.

+ There are travel and work situations where it is more convenient to use a cartridge pen than a piston pen, when you have to refill the pen.

+ The Safari is available in MANY colors + the clear Vista, the Eco only 2.

o The grip is a like/hate situation. I like the grip, whereas some people HATE the grip.

- personally, I prefer the desk pen shaped 'joy,' as it balances in my hand better than the Safari. Though you can't clip a 'joy' into your shirt pocket.

- The Safari + converter is the same price as to significantly more expensive than the Eco, depending on where you buy the Safari.

Eco:

+ Large ink capacity. But if you top off the Safari every evening, this advantage is reduced/eliminated.

+ Easy to see the ink inside the pen. For some of us who like clear/demonstrator pens, this is an important factor.

o No history of the pen (because it is a new pen), IFY history of their past pens.

o The Eco where I hold the pen is larger than the Safari/joy. It is just on the edge of being uncomfortable. I would prefer the Eco to be 1 or 2 mm smaller in diameter.

- The cap and piston cap are solid color (white or black) and not clear, as one would expect in a clear/demonstrator pen. I would hope that TWSBI will make an ALL clear version of the Eco in the future.

In my eyes, there is no clear objective winner between the 2 pens.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

They are both good pens but I prefer the Eco by a mile. It feels nicer and looks better inked up. The nibs write better and the pen is quite serviceable. The Lamy has a nice look and is likely more durable though TWSBI is known for its excellent customer service. The Lamy is easier to clean...Really though the Eco is amazing value for money.

Can't say I have beheld every Twsbi, but the Mini posts more securely than any other pen I own (it screws on).

I have both. Never use the Vista. The section is beyond awful in my hand and Lamy steel nibs are unforgiving nails that make my hand ache. It will go when I get round to my next pen downsizing.

The Eco is a surprise to me; comfortable to hold and the nib (a fine) is really pleasant to write with. Smooth and with nice feedback. Writes well on difficult paper too (eg laid). I never post my pens (except my pocket pens), so I don't care about the cap falling off when posted. Never had any problems with TWSBI plastic cracking. Good value too.

Filling system and ease of cleaning are minor considerations for me as I am more concerned with how they put ink on paper.

Very different pens that evoke very different reactions.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Sorry, but I've never understood the thing about posting pens, especially not tall ones like Eco and Vista. To me a pen has to be really, really short for me to post it...

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

I have both, and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

If pressed, I'd recommend the ECO, as I really like the look, feel, and filling capacity.

Yes, there could be a troublesome cap posting issue. If this affects you, I wrote of an easy fix for it, which has so far lasted well for me:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/295342-twsbi-eco-cap-falling-off/?p=3441270

Note: Posting is important for those who are writing on the go and not always sitting down at a desk. Depending on the pen weight distribution and the shape of your hands, it also often helps with balance.

Edited by spaceink

Note: Posting is important for those who are writing on the go and not always sitting down at a desk. Depending on the pen weight distribution and the shape of your hands, it also often helps with balance.

It's the balance thing I don't get. All pens I have tried to post have become top heavy, almost feeling like it will lift the nib off the paper.

Well, well... YMMV

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy