Does Cross Make Their Pens In China?

Wile E.

Hello,

I was interested in a Townsend (foremost because Cross seems to have s rich history in the US).

Is Cross more or less moving things overseas?

Thank you

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RMN

• Biber

• writepen

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

It shouldn't be too difficult to get a vintage US made Townsend. A while back I was able to get one through Montgomery Pens.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Current production is in China since several years, as is the case with many other brands.

Nothing wrong with the quality of these pens.

If you insist on US-made you would have to look for pre-loved or NOS pens. Do realise that quality deteriorates with time somewhat.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Current production is in China since several years, as is the case with many other brands.

Nothing wrong with the quality of these pens.

If you insist on US-made you would have to look for pre-loved or NOS pens. Do realise that quality deteriorates with time somewhat.

D.ick

I don't understand what you mean by quality deteriorating over time. Do you mean that older pens were made with poorer quality? The Chinese are doing it better?

I don't understand what you mean by quality deteriorating over time. Do you mean that older pens were made with poorer quality? The Chinese are doing it better?

Old pens (even if unused NOS) deteriorate by just laying in a box. especially rubber seals, inksacs etc but also ebonite and other materials will oxidise and change under light or fumes from other pens.

I have heard stories about a pen chemically reacting to the plastic components in the liner of a cushioned box. Normally it will be no big deal but it could happen. And how was a batch of old pens stored? Cold? Hot? Humid? All things that CAN affect pen quality.

Nothing wrong with the production quality of Cross pens when they were made in the US, or Ireland (I believe).

Just bear in mind that NOS does not always mean that it is the same quality as when it just left the factory.

D.ick

~

~

D.ick -

While the concerns you raise do have some validity, even if only remotely with regard to Cross pens and the Townsend in particular, I feel that you are unnecessarily interjecting a degree of fear into the conversation.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

D.ick -

While the concerns you raise do have some validity, even if only remotely with regard to Cross pens and the Townsend in particular, I feel that you are unnecessarily interjecting a degree of fear into the conversation.

No intended fear, just awareness of these facts.

D.ick

~

~

I'm a huge fan of Cross pens for many reasons which I have posted in other threads. I have pens from them made in the USA, Ireland, and China. When they shut down production in Lincoln, RI, they shipped the machinery to China to continue production.

I haven't had any quality issues with any of their pens. But I agree with D.ick, with no fear intended, that a 15 year old NOS USA pen may not be as reliable as a brand new pen made in China. They are using the same machinery and I have no doubt that they are very concerned about quality. We aren't talking about Jinhao or another pen where the goal is to turn out as much as possible at the lowest price.

I have also mentioned before that there are two levels of Cross pens. The higher tier are the pens they sell on their website. They also have a "lower" tier sold through the big box retailers like Staples, OfficeMax, etc. . . I also have some of these pens and they are perfectly fine. I would have no reservations about buying a Cross pen made in China.

ETA: They also have an amazing lifetime warranty no matter where the pen is manufactured. I mentioned this story a couple of years ago but my father always carried a cross pen and it fell out of his pocket only to be buried in the snow and ice for the winter. When he found it, they not only replaced the pen but sent the original back. I still have that pen for sentimental reasons and it works fine.

Edited by blINK

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

You would think that with production methods being constantly refined that newer pens would be better made and longer lasting, and that they would work better. I think pens got better up to the Parker 51, and afterwards better manufacturing was offset by economies made in production. There are modern pens that are very well made, and price has nothing to do with it. Some cheap pens are at the apex of quality, as good functionally as some costlier pens and better than most modern pens where economies (chintzing) and stupidities like excessively ventilated caps have made for inferior pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

So wait...

The Townsends that cost 300+ dollars are made in China?!

Really?

Man, in the knife community, at least China-made knives come at a bargain price to justify the out-sourcing.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

I'm a huge fan of Cross pens for many reasons which I have posted in other threads. I have pens from them made in the USA, Ireland, and China. When they shut down production in Lincoln, RI, they shipped the machinery to China to continue production.

I haven't had any quality issues with any of their pens. But I agree with D.ick, with no fear intended, that a 15 year old NOS USA pen may not be as reliable as a brand new pen made in China. They are using the same machinery and I have no doubt that they are very concerned about quality. We aren't talking about Jinhao or another pen where the goal is to turn out as much as possible at the lowest price.

I have also mentioned before that there are two levels of Cross pens. The higher tier are the pens they sell on their website. They also have a "lower" tier sold through the big box retailers like Staples, OfficeMax, etc. . . I also have some of these pens and they are perfectly fine. I would have no reservations about buying a Cross pen made in China.

ETA: They also have an amazing lifetime warranty no matter where the pen is manufactured. I mentioned this story a couple of years ago but my father always carried a cross pen and it fell out of his pocket only to be buried in the snow and ice for the winter. When he found it, they not only replaced the pen but sent the original back. I still have that pen for sentimental reasons and it works fine.

I have used Cross pens for years. I had the biro when I was a computer salesman back in 1984, and soon had to buy a fountain pen, pencil, and then red pen. The first three were all the slim Cross gold pens, the red was simple red coloured brass, I think. After 15 years of good use, the red pen developed a fault and kept leaking around the section. Cross took it back, decided it was not fixable, and replaced free of charge. I was happy enough. Then the gold fountain pen died in 2000 or so, and I sent it back reluctantly. Again, it was replaced, and they returned the gold original with the new gold pen in case it had "sentimental" value. Needless to say, I still use Cross - although my Visconti Homo Sapiens in now my daily go-to pen. It's just so robust, and writes like a dream. But I'd certainly never deride Cross for their quality or their after-sales service. Very happy user of a Peerless 125 now, too.

I have used Cross pens for years. I had the biro when I was a computer salesman back in 1984, and soon had to buy a fountain pen, pencil, and then red pen. The first three were all the slim Cross gold pens, the red was simple red coloured brass, I think. After 15 years of good use, the red pen developed a fault and kept leaking around the section. Cross took it back, decided it was not fixable, and replaced free of charge. I was happy enough. Then the gold fountain pen died in 2000 or so, and I sent it back reluctantly. Again, it was replaced, and they returned the gold original with the new gold pen in case it had "sentimental" value. Needless to say, I still use Cross - although my Visconti Homo Sapiens in now my daily go-to pen. It's just so robust, and writes like a dream. But I'd certainly never deride Cross for their quality or their after-sales service. Very happy user of a Peerless 125 now, too.

I like your story.

D.ick

~

~

If you're dead set on getting a pre-China Townsend, search ebay for 14K gold nib Townsends. AFAIK, the Townsends with the 18K nibs are the newer made in China ones.

Actually, if you want to find a bargain, search for 14K gold nib Cross fountain pens (don't specify Townsend). It's not at all uncommon for someone who doesn't know what they have to list a Townsend with a really low starting bid, and folks specifically searching for Townsends by name won't ever see the auction. I got the one in my profile photo for $75, including shipping. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I hope you are enjoying your Peerless...I believe it has a Sailor nib/feed. Good decision by Cross. As was the decision to use Pelikan nib/feeder in many Townsends.

Hello,

I was interested in a Townsend (foremost because Cross seems to have s rich history in the US).

Is Cross more or less moving things overseas?

Thank you

A T Cross Accessory Division (pens et al, but not the Optical Group) was sold to a NY Co. in 2013. Prior to that, the plant/manufacturing operation moved on a gradual basis from Lincoln, RI to China and began its operations in 2006/07. So current production pens are made in China, but not outsourced to a diff. Co. because Cross owns/manages the facility. It has been debated over the years as to whether or not the quality of their current products is the same as 2005 and before. As with many subjects....it depends upon whom you ask! :) The majority of Townsends--the line/model of interest to you, have Pelikan nibs/feeders--a big bonus, IMHO, and I'm sure many Pel fans would concur.