Clear Demonstrators Besides Twsbi?

aquoro

I got started with fountain pens about a month ago, and I dove in headfirst with a couple of under $100 pens - a TWSBI 580 AL, and a Pilot Custom Heritage 91. Now I'm looking for another pen (here we go). I'm going to keep the CH91 inked with black for a day-to-day workhorse, but I'd love to have another demonstrator to go with the TWSBI that I can use for more interesting inks.
The Conid Bulkfiller is basically the ideal for me - interesting filling mechanism, clear demonstrator, solid construction. But it's waaay out of my price range ($200 max).
The TWSBI feels solid in the hand and the look is great... but I absolutely love the Pilot nib. As far as I've found, the Pilot CH92 is my best bet for combining these two things, but I was just wondering if there was anything else out there similar?
I've also seen some posts on FPN about users creating frankenpens with TWSBI pens with other brands' nibs, but I'm not sure how reliable that would be.
So basically, I uh... might have a thing for clear demonstrators now. I'll leave you with some pics

http://i.imgur.com/NtewHDF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/krOeYqa.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• amberleadavis

• dfo

• aquoro

Pelikan M200 Demo.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

If you don't mind cartridge/converters, there are a plethora of Japanese demonstrators under $200:

Numerous Platinum 3776 Century demonstrators

Sailor Profit/1911 demonstrator

Edited by dfo

Daniel

The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned.

Gramsci

Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Balance Cool (altough it's not piston-filler), Pelikan M200 demo, Stipula Splash (I'm not saying it's nice, it's just in this budget range). Pilot Prera line some older german demonstrators to hunt on eBay. Basically if you're not at work at the moment and there;s no risk of accidental oversalivating you should definitely check this thread.

The Lamy Vista is a great pen. The Twsbi Vac 700 is a great pen. And if you want a pen to test out different inks, the Platinum preppy is a great pen. These pens are well under your budget

Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Balance Cool (altough it's not piston-filler), Pelikan M200 demo, Stipula Splash (I'm not saying it's nice, it's just in this budget range). Pilot Prera line some older german demonstrators to hunt on eBay. Basically if you're not at work at the moment and there;s no risk of accidental oversalivating you should definitely check this thread.

Holy moly that collection is insane. But it's a great way to see what's available out there! Thanks a ton, just what I was looking for.

Edited by aquoro

Pilot Prera, but I don't have one. I have a LAMY Vista.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Don't forget Nemosine. A great pen and under US$20

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

or even another TWSBI 580.... only get it with a different nib than your current one. If you have a fine get a broad or stub....

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I just got the Nemosine clear demonstrator with a .6 mm stub and it writes great so far.

I actually prefer the Lamy Vista to the TWSBI Eco, but that's more personally an issue than the quality of the pen itself. At a glance I suspect the Vista will be more durable but only time will tell.

dan

Don't forget Nemosine. A great pen and under US$20

OH MY.... I must clean up the drool... and I was warned.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Fred, I love your pens. If you ever want to have a visitor....

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Sailor 1911 Standard has a demo: http://www.nibs.com/sailor-1911-mid-size-clear-demonstrator-gold-trim.htm

(no affiliation)

I was quite surprised to see mold marks :yikes: on the barrel, section & cap of this mid-size Sailor. These marks seem to detract from an otherwise good quality pen.

1911-M pens in other colours have mold marks showing only on the threaded portion of the barrel. I own a number of these reasonably priced pens, but not the demonstrator.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Fred, I love your pens. If you ever want to have a visitor...

Sounds like a plan....Codicil to me will..Tout de suite!

{smilelyfacetimethingie}

Fred

The best portion of a good man's life, His little,

nameless, unremembered acts Of kindness and love.

~ William Wordsworth