Lamy 2K Or Pelikan M1000, Which One First?

lgbpinho

Short version: even though they are two completely different animals, can you please compare the writing of the Lamy 2000 in F or M and the Pelikan M1000 in F?

Details: I am eventually going to buy a Lamy 2000 and a Pelikan M1000. For that, I have to save for quite a long time (few years, 3-4?) because of my monthly income and because if I pay a huge amount of money out of nothing in a pen my girlfriend will impale me. With the pen. I like the thick wet line that the Pelikan M1000 seems to lay. I did not use one yet. I like my 2 Lamy pens (Safari 1.1 stub and Vista in M) a lot and I really like the design of the Lamy 2000. I like it better than the classic look of the M1000 (which I like a lot too!). I will buy the Lamy 2000 first if the writing experience is not that distant from the Pelikan M1000. Can you please comment on the differences in the writing of both pens?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pterodactylus

• Lam1

• sirgilbert357

• AL01

I'm not home so I can't provide a writing sample, but the Pelikan M1000 is in a completely different class of its own. Really hard to compare a $130 pen to a $600 pen. The M1000 is better in almost every aspect, except for the size (may be too big). I'd recommend getting both; one as a daily writer and carry and one for enjoyment at home. The Lamy 2000 nib is fine, small sweet spot, and has a lot of feedback. The Pelikan M1000 nib is perfect - smooth, wet, and semi-flexible. Since it's so wet, it might be better for situations where you have control over the paper. The Lamy 2000 is a nice understated pen, but the semi-hooded nib looks ridiculous compared to the HUGE nib of the Pelikan M1000. As a result, the M1000 nib is smoother (larger nibs tend to be smoother).

I can go on forever, but my point is, both are great pens but if you have the money, definitely get the M1000. It looks very grand and it's clear you're not there to (bleep) around and waste time. It makes a statement, while the Lamy 2000 is much more understated.

I agree with YugiRider2 concerning the nib experience. However, if you plan to use the pen as an EDC, I would go with the Lamy 2000 and then purchase the Pelikan later on down the road.

Daniel

The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned.

Gramsci

I have both with EF nibs. The M1000 is very wet and lays down more of a fine line. The Lamy 2K is, by comparison, much dryer and a true (western) EF. The writing experience is almost impossible to compare, the M1000 has a soft, smooth nib which is in a league of its own, as YugiRider2 said. The Lamy's nib is stiff and has some feedback - it's a good pen, but really nothing special in my opinion.

The quality of the pens are also miles apart. The M1000 screams luxury and quality. The Lamy is well built, but in my opinion it's quality is not even close to that of the M1000 (or any of the Pelikans, for that matter). In fact, I think the Lamy 2000 has a design flaw: it's inner cap is metal and moisture tends to condensate there and cause it to rust very quickly. Mine was full of rust after one use. I sent it to Lamy, they changed the pen and the new one was already beginning to rust one week later.

Good luck.

I have yet to buy a M1000 but in trying one out it has a soft (not really flexible) nib and is a very wet writer. The 2000 has a much stiffer/dryer nib. Both hold a bunch of ink. I like the 2000 better, the M1000 is frankly a bit on the large size. However the M800 is just right to me.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I can only confirm what has already been written: the M1000 is wetter and slightly wider in the nib than the 2K. Similarly, the M1000 is significantly larger than the 2K.

I find that the nibs on the 2K tend to vary more widely from pen to pen (even with the same nib size - some wetter, some drier, some thicker, some thinner) than the Pelikans (mostly m800's) I've tried.

Geaux Tigers! Visça el Barça!

WTB: MB Kafka, Lamy Safari 2009 Orange, Pilot MYU (Black or Clear/White Stripe), Seiko FrankenTuna SKZ253 / SKZ255

I have both with EF nibs. The M1000 is very wet and lays down more of a fine line. The Lamy 2K is, by comparison, much dryer and a true (western) EF. The writing experience is almost impossible to compare, the M1000 has a soft, smooth nib which is in a league of its own, as YugiRider2 said. The Lamy's nib is stiff and has some feedback - it's a good pen, but really nothing special in my opinion.

The quality of the pens are also miles apart. The M1000 screams luxury and quality. The Lamy is well built, but in my opinion it's quality is not even close to that of the M1000 (or any of the Pelikans, for that matter). In fact, I think the Lamy 2000 has a design flaw: it's inner cap is metal and moisture tends to condensate there and cause it to rust very quickly. Mine was full of rust after one use. I sent it to Lamy, they changed the pen and the new one was already beginning to rust one week later.

Good luck.

Whoa...that's a significant observation...and I'm off to research that one!

Whoa...that's a significant observation...and I'm off to research that one!

Yeah, I was very surprised with that. But I didn't do much research on it before purchasing, so I have no idea if others encountered this problem. But after I received it repaired from Lamy, I started to observe closely to see the cause of the rust, and I would see moisture in the inner cap, dry it with a cotton swab, only to see more moisture there the next day (and Minnesota is not that humid). So, that is clearly the reason for the rust and I expect that it will be bad again soon, despite all my care.

At least their customer service was good and fast. They basically only kept the section/nib and changed the rest of the pen, and they also waived the flat fee they usually charge because it was a flaw in the pen. Their turnaround time was also impressive (20 days). Still, the pen shouldn't have this kind of problem.

"Smooth, wet, medium-nib writers" would be my description of my LAMY 2000 and my Pelikan M1000.

My LAMY 2000 is a medium size pen of average weight. It has a conservative style. I can carry it anywhere. Mine was 1/3 the price of a Pelikan M1000.

My M1000 is a big, heavy "war club". It is 20% fatter and the weight self-settles into my hand. However, I cannot clip it to my shirt pocket. It is huge ! And, a bit gaudy. Do you like a big, heavy fountain pen ? I love it, but it stays home.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

22168275654_4baaeeda8d_o.jpg

(Montblanc 144 - BB ..... Diamine Blue Lightning)

....the Pelikan M1000 is in a completely different class of its own. Really hard to compare a $130 pen to a $600 pen. The M1000 is better in almost every aspect.....

How can you prove this?

Your judgement is very subjective.

Seems almost only based on the price of the pens.

The price does not say very much......every person feels different.

I´m sure many people do not like such huge pens...... They could say unbalanced, too heavy, too big,.....

and I´m sure there are many people which do not like the 2000..... they could say nail, ugly design,......

and this can be true for them, but not for you.

Each person likes different things, and this is many times not transferable to the next person.

For me for sure they are comparable.

E.g. personally I would not buy any of them, but this is only valid for me but must not be true for anybody else.

As said, for me there is no way than try them personally..... otherwise you might end with a pen you don´t like..... especially when you saved the money for the pen quite hard.

Edited by Pterodactylus

As an everyday writer, the Lamy 2K is very very hard to beat. The broader nibs have a stubbish quality too them, are generally very smooth and in my limited experience do not have problems with different ink types.

It is also built like a tank!

If you want a pen that is for writing and are happy with how it feels in your hand than there a a few pens that can best the L2K at any price range. This is the first pen I got a second one of because I loved the pen but not the EF nib.

While I prefer softer nibs and that is one reason for getting a m1000, the L2K puts a smile on my face everytime I use. Which reminds, that it needs to come back into rotation.

22168275654_4baaeeda8d_o.jpg(Montblanc 144 - BB ..... Diamine Blue Lightning)How can you prove this?Your judgement is very subjective.Seems almost only based on the price of the pens.The price does not say very much......every person feels different.I´m sure many people do not like such huge pens...... They could say unbalanced, too heavy, too big,.....and I´m sure there are many people which do not like the 2000..... they could say nail, ugly design,......and this can be true for them, but not for you.Each person likes different things, and this is many times not transferable to the next person.For me for sure they are comparable.E.g. personally I would not buy any of them, but this is only valid for me but must not be true for anybody else.As said, for me there is no way than try them personally..... otherwise you might end with a pen you don´t like..... especially when you saved the money for the pen quite hard.

I was just voicing my opinion and if you actually read what I said, I mentioned some of what you commented on. Thanks for quoting the one part when I mention the price! Read my response clearly before making these judgements.

Edited by YugiRider2

I was just voicing my opinion and if you actually read what I said, I mentioned some of what you commented on. Thanks for quoting the one part when I mention the price! Read my response clearly before making these judgements.

For sure I read your post "clrearly", I still can't see what my judgement may change.

You also did not recommended to try the pens before buying it.

I can see only your recommendation: ... Getting both.... And: .....definitely get the M1000.

Which is in no way what I recommended.

Having two 2k and four M10xx I'm probably biased but I consider the 2k a (very good) writing TOOL and the "big M" a joy for the senses...

If you just need something good to write with, start with a 2k and keep the M1000 for a "celebration purchase".

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

Yeah, I was very surprised with that. But I didn't do much research on it before purchasing, so I have no idea if others encountered this problem. But after I received it repaired from Lamy, I started to observe closely to see the cause of the rust, and I would see moisture in the inner cap, dry it with a cotton swab, only to see more moisture there the next day (and Minnesota is not that humid). So, that is clearly the reason for the rust and I expect that it will be bad again soon, despite all my care.

At least their customer service was good and fast. They basically only kept the section/nib and changed the rest of the pen, and they also waived the flat fee they usually charge because it was a flaw in the pen. Their turnaround time was also impressive (20 days). Still, the pen shouldn't have this kind of problem.

Thanks for commenting on this issue. I'll be sure to take it into consideration...I've been flip flopping back and forth on whether I want a LAMY 2000 or not. The long term quality/durability is always a consideration for me...

I'm quite sure there is no (iron) rust in the cap (despite the fact that I do not own one).

What you describe I've read in a thread somewhere else, and was explained there as surface oxidation of the used metal within the cap. It was discribed that the surface gets darker. The assumption there was that brass or a similar metal is used there and it's only surface oxidation without any relevance.

The 2000 is on the market since a long time and there are no threads describing iron rust problems with it.

The iron parts are stainless steel.

The construction of the Lamy 2000 is for sure top notch and if you do not destroy it by force it will for sure last your lifetime and probably much longer than that.

I'm quite sure there is no (iron) rust in the cap (despite the fact that I do not own one).

What you describe I've read in a thread somewhere else, and was explained there as surface oxidation of the used metal within the cap. It was discribed that the surface gets darker. The assumption there was that brass or a similar metal is used there and it's only surface oxidation without any relevance.

The 2000 is on the market since a long time and there are no threads describing iron rust problems with it.

The iron parts are stainless steel.

The construction of the Lamy 2000 is for sure top notch and if you do not destroy it by force it will for sure last your lifetime and probably much longer than that.

I never claimed that the inner cap is made of iron. I only stated "metal", since I don't know it's chemical composition. I used rust in its general, and accepted (see, e.g., Merriam-Webster), form meaning oxidation or corrosion in any kind of metal (including, but not restricted to, iron).

I also know that the Lamy 2000 has been around for ages and is highly regarded by the FP community, that is the reason I bought it in the first place. However, I cannot speak for other people, but only from my experiences, and my experience is exactly as I described.

Also, in my experience, it was not only a matter of the surface getting darker (as brass does), which I would expect, but it also became uneven and bubbly. The fact that Lamy USA readily acknowledged that the problem was a flaw of the pen and changed almost the whole pen, even waiving the fee, also seems to indicate that my assessment was correct. I cannot assess, however, if this is a problem only in this batch of pens (the replacement is starting to show the problem too), just my bad luck or a more widespread problem, since my sample (2 pens) is not a significant one.

Finally, I also acknowledged that the Lamy 2000 was well built. As for if it being top notch, that is a subjective judgement which depends on many personal factors. Based on my experience only, all I can say is that we will have to agree to disagree on that one (even though I still consider it a good pen).

I never claimed that the inner cap is made of iron. I only stated "metal", since I don't know it's chemical composition. I used rust in its general, and accepted (see, e.g., Merriam-Webster), form meaning oxidation or corrosion in any kind of metal (including, but not restricted to, iron).

I also know that the Lamy 2000 has been around for ages and is highly regarded by the FP community, that is the reason I bought it in the first place. However, I cannot speak for other people, but only from my experiences, and my experience is exactly as I described.

Also, in my experience, it was not only a matter of the surface getting darker (as brass does), which I would expect, but it also became uneven and bubbly. The fact that Lamy USA readily acknowledged that the problem was a flaw of the pen and changed almost the whole pen, even waiving the fee, also seems to indicate that my assessment was correct. I cannot assess, however, if this is a problem only in this batch of pens (the replacement is starting to show the problem too), just my bad luck or a more widespread problem, since my sample (2 pens) is not a significant one.

Finally, I also acknowledged that the Lamy 2000 was well built. As for if it being top notch, that is a subjective judgement which depends on many personal factors. Based on my experience only, all I can say is that we will have to agree to disagree on that one (even though I still consider it a good pen).

Thanks for your quick and detailed answer.

As your replacement pen also started to show this, can you please make some close up pictures of the problem, it would be great to see how it looks like.

And regarding the support, some companies do not argue with the customer much when there is a complaint, they just want to satisfy the customer as part of a great customer service.

I don´t say there was no problem, problems of any kind can happen any time with any product.

I treat it as a sign of quality if the support tackle problems immediately and act to satisfy the customer (no matter if the problem is minor or not).

Edited by Pterodactylus

Thanks for your quick and detailed answer.

As your replacement pen also started to show this, can you please make some close up pictures of the problem, it would be great to see how it looks like.

And regarding the support, some companies do not argue with the customer much when there is a complaint, they just want to satisfy the customer as part of a great customer service.

I don´t say there was no problem, problems of any kind can happen any time with any product.

I treat it as a sign of quality if the support tackle problems immediately and act to satisfy the customer (no matter if the problem is minor or not).

You are right that in some cases (the very best) companies do not argue with the customer, just to keep them happy. What I took to mean that they acknowledged the problem was the fact that they waived the fee, but I certainly cannot tell for sure.

As for taking photos of the current pen, I must apologize but I don't think I will be able to do it. I have tried before to upload photos here and, since it seems necessary to upload the photos somewhere else before being able to post it here, I simply gave up (maybe some day I will take the time and do this kind of thing).

In any case, in the new pen the problem is restricted to one point, since I now check it every couple of days and dry it with a cotton swab when necessary. I also don't think I would be able to have the proper light setup to catch the disk at the bottom of the cap, since I don't have a macro flash. I wish I had tried to take pictures of the one I sent to Lamy, which would be easy to see.

In any case, it is very likely that it was just my bad luck. It is also not the first brand new pen of mine that had trouble. Fortunately, my experience with the customer service of most pen companies has been excellent so far.