2016 Diary With Fp Friendly Paper

mercurius

Aldi in Australia recently had some Vior brand notebooks and Diaries which very FP friendly.

The diary is A5 and one page to a day. At AU$10 it was a good price. You might ask your local Aldi (I believe they are in the UK) if they have any available.

We likes 'cheap'. Unfortunately I don't live near an Aldi though they are here in the UK.

How about Quo Vadis? http://quovadisplanners.com/catalog/popular

Most are fountain pen friendly: http://quovadisplanners.com/search/keyword/fountain%20pen%20friendly

Some are sold out, but you could check with amazon or some of the other stationers to see if they carry them.

Thanks for this suggestion. I'll have a look to see whether they do A5 page per day diaries in the UK.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• migo984

• mercurius

• lacie

• vorpal

Top Posters In This Topic

If I hadn't already bought another Hobonichi Cousin I'd buy a Stálogy 018 Editor’s Series 365Days Notebook.

Verba volant, scripta manent

If I hadn't already bought another Hobonichi Cousin I'd buy a Stálogy 018 Editor’s Series 365Days Notebook.

I just came across the Stalogy notebook today. Do you know how the paper compares to the Tomoe paper in the Hobonichi?

It looks like Tomoe River:

http://stalogy.com/products/018

Available via Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LFEBTCI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=MDPUZTN33OPH&coliid=I3PBGV8RFE0EAO

A5, B5, and A6

If I didn't already have a Hobonichi, I would get this one.

It looks like it has a flexible cover too. Is that right? Intriguing...

Edited by vjones

I just came across the Stalogy notebook today. Do you know how the paper compares to the Tomoe paper in the Hobonichi?

It's very similar to Tomoegawa but I'm not sure it's actually the same. You'd have to check with Stálogy..

I like the freeform set up of the book. I don't work, and use my diary as a notebook/journal too, so don't want to be tied to a rigid structure. That's why I prefer the Hobonichi Cousin to most typical Western-style diaries.

It looks like it has a flexible cover too. Is that right? Intriguing...

Yes, it's a flexible cover.

The stalky book looks great. Has anyone found a place that sells A6 and ships internationally?

Hahah my computer autocorrects Stalogy to stalky.

Edited by lacie

The stalky book looks great. Has anyone found a place that sells A6 and ships internationally?

Hahah my computer autocorrects Stalogy to stalky.

There are a few Japanese sellers on Amazon.com who ship internationally. You can check if they do when you add item to basket. Alternatively you could buy it via a forwarding/shipping company like White Rabbit Express. I highly recommend them.

I must say that if I was going to use A6 size I think I'd stick with the Hobonichi Techo. I used it happily for 2 years until I decided I needed a larger page size and changed to the Cousin.

Edited by migo984

I've used Letts for years, but I experience some bleed-through with them. I typically use a fine nib and quick-drying inks like Pilot Iroshizuku, for what that's worth.

I've not had much luck with Moleskine's products. Too many of them aren't as fountain-pen friendly as I'd like. My spouse used a Quo Vadis for the first time this year and loved it. Even with an italic nib, the bleed-through was minimal.

There are a few Japanese sellers on Amazon.com who ship internationally. You can check if they do when you add item to basket. Alternatively you could buy it via a forwarding/shipping company like White Rabbit Express. I highly recommend them.

I must say that if I was going to use A6 size I think I'd stick with the Hobonichi Techo. I used it happily for 2 years until I decided I needed a larger page size and changed to the Cousin.

I can't seem to find the A6 on Amazon. I'm not sure if maybe it is excluding some results that don't ship to Australia.

The Stalogy appeals to me because the pages are cleaner. I'm not big on the quotes in the hobonichi and I like that the Stalogy has flexible dates.

Don't buy a Moleskine.

My 2015 has awful bleedthrough.

Thanks. I'm aware of this problem with Moleskine.

Looks nice but Amazon UK want £49 for this!

I've used Letts for years, but I experience some bleed-through with them. I typically use a fine nib and quick-drying inks like Pilot Iroshizuku, for what that's worth.

I've not had much luck with Moleskine's products. Too many of them aren't as fountain-pen friendly as I'd like. My spouse used a Quo Vadis for the first time this year and loved it. Even with an italic nib, the bleed-through was minimal.

Quo Vadis looks good, but don't like the times slots on the pages - I want if for personal use, not as a business diary.

Seems there's a big gap out there in the market for FP friendly diaries. Will no manufacturer take up this opportunity?

Thanks. I'm aware of this problem with Moleskine.

Looks nice but Amazon UK want £49 for this!

Quo Vadis looks good, but don't like the times slots on the pages - I want if for personal use, not as a business diary.

Seems there's a big gap out there in the market for FP friendly diaries. Will no manufacturer take up this opportunity?

Re Stálogy, why would anyone pay that much? I wouldn't.

You can get it shipped from Japan or from Amazon.com for much less .

Or just stick with a Hobonichi

I've now had an opportunity to try the paper in the B5 (182 x 257mm) Stálogy 365Days diary/notebook, thanks to the largesse of a Japanese friend. If it isn't actually Tomoegawa then it is very similar indeed. I would say that it feels slightly weightier than the 52gsm Tomoe in my current Hobonichi, and the typical writing paper available. Perhaps more like the paper in my 68gsm Tomoe Notebook? It is hard to describe but is slightly stiffer and not quite as silky smooth as the 52gsm paper. Very nice though - and is an attractive off-white, creamy colour.

The months/days/date at the top of the page, the grey grid and 24 hour time slots are very lightly printed on the page; barely visible in some light. I like that a lot as it makes it an extremely flexible format. IMO it can easily be used as a daily journal / notebook, rather than a formal diary. It can be used for any year, any start date, or you could just not use the dates at all.

I've tried with 8 different inks in 8 different pens: wet,dry, F to BB and 1.5 parallel pen. All lay down crisp lines, with absolutely no feathering or bleed through. Ghosting is minimal, especially if you use a dark shitajiki as I do, and there would be no problems using both sides of the paper.

The pages are stitched so it lays almost completely flat and there is hardly any guttering at all. It has a black textured soft/flexible cover. There is no ribbon page marker. There are light grey fly leaves and nothing additional or extraneous - no title pages, contents pages, information pages etc - that often take up wasted space in diaries (the one fault with Hobonichi IMHO). It just open straight onto the first page and every page is the same, right through to the last one. Simple, uncluttered, maximum useable pages.

An excellent addition to the "diary" world. I'm very happy I get to try one out. I'll use mine as a daily journal.

I've now had an opportunity to try the paper in the B5 (182 x 257mm) Stálogy 365Days diary/notebook, thanks to the largesse of a Japanese friend. If it isn't actually Tomoegawa then it is very similar indeed. I would say that it feels slightly weightier than the 52gsm Tomoe in my current Hobonichi, and the typical writing paper available. Perhaps more like the paper in my 68gsm Tomoe Notebook? It is hard to describe but is slightly stiffer and not quite as silky smooth as the 52gsm paper. Very nice though - and is an attractive off-white, creamy colour.

The months/days/date at the top of the page, the grey grid and 24 hour time slots are very lightly printed on the page; barely visible in some light. I like that a lot as it makes it an extremely flexible format. IMO it can easily be used as a daily journal / notebook, rather than a formal diary. It can be used for any year, any start date, or you could just not use the dates at all.

I've tried with 8 different inks in 8 different pens: wet,dry, F to BB and 1.5 parallel pen. All lay down crisp lines, with absolutely no feathering or bleed through. Ghosting is minimal, especially if you use a dark shitajiki as I do, and there would be no problems using both sides of the paper.

The pages are stitched so it lays almost completely flat and there is hardly any guttering at all. It has a black textured soft/flexible cover. There is no ribbon page marker. There are light grey fly leaves and nothing additional or extraneous - no title pages, contents pages, information pages etc - that often take up wasted space in diaries (the one fault with Hobonichi IMHO). It just open straight onto the first page and every page is the same, right through to the last one. Simple, uncluttered, maximum useable pages.

An excellent addition to the "diary" world. I'm very happy I get to try one out. I'll use mine as a daily journal.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thanks so much for the detailed overview, and for even sacrificing a page for us! I'm going to have to get my hands on one of these now. It looks great.

The product listing says 365 pages. I'm guessing that doesn't mean sheets. I assume one side of a sheet equals a page here, so the notebook should have roughly half the page count in terms of actual sheets, right?

I see two Franklin Christoph #20 writing samples there. Are those ink colors matched to the pen body by any chance? I very much want the #20 in green but haven't yet been able to convince myself it is worth the expense for a steel nib. Which nibs do you have?

Yes, as is usual a page is a single side. There are actually 368 pages in the notebook, so it wasn't a problem to sacrifice a page :-)

Re the pens, my two F-C Model #20s are indeed the vintage green and a non-production blue-violet. Both beautiful pens. The green has a fine 18k nib, adjusted for additional wetness by Jim at F-C, so it writes a slightly wider line. The blue-violet is a fine steel. Very smooth.