Is There A Market For Limited Edition Mb Pen Nibs?

Bunny_Police

Hello everybody,

I picked up my Einstein 3000 earlier, after having handed it in to my local boutique to have its nib changed to an EF.

When I got it back, I was very surprised to see that I had been given the original medium nib. (I thought that they only did this when you paid for the new nib/part?)

Needless to say, I wasn't complaining, however I now have a brand new medium nib for the Einstein. Is anyone aware of a market for these if I wanted to sell it?

If so, would you have any idea what sort of price I might get for it?

Thanks in advance,

Oliver

post-79206-0-51654100-1446224826_thumb.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• Chrissy

• Z-Tab

• zaddick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is unusual to send the exchanged nib back. However, it's not that easy to fit to another pen. You could try listing it on ebay. There will be sold listings on there showing how much any previously sold ones went for.

Lucky! I'd love to have that nib in a 146P, assuming its interchangeable. No idea what it's worth, since yours is probably the only one that's been available without buying the rest of the pen, too.

It is unusual to send the exchanged nib back. However, it's not that easy to fit to another pen. You could try listing it on ebay. There will be sold listings on there showing how much any previously sold ones went for.

That is one of the newer user swapable bib units and will only work in the newer sections designed for that nib I believe.

My Website

That is one of the newer user swapable bib units and will only work in the newer sections designed for that nib I believe.

Really? I thought the Einstein was released before the newer user swappable nibs. I thought the first swappable ones were issued in 90th anniversary pens.

Really? I thought the Einstein was released before the newer user swappable nibs. I thought the first swappable ones were issued in 90th anniversary pens.

Looks like it has the o-ring seal.

My Website

Yes, there is a market although it is very thin as these do not come up for sale often. I would say somewhere in the $100 to $200 USD range off eBay would be feasible, maybe closer to $175. It is the kind of thing I would look for myself for use in another pen pr project.

Search eBay for other nibs. New MB parts are hard to come by.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

If that can help you, I bought a MB nib from the Donation Series to use on a handmade pen and I paid 100 Euro.

I'd be very keen to buy a new nib for my 90th 149. Spoke to MB about sending it for repair without a nib unit and was quoted A$540. Too much for my liking but I keep hope of locating one ln the secondary market.

The pen is limited to 3,000 pieces like you say. They aren't going to be many people outside of the 2,999 other owners who would want the nib. As most people have working nibs in their pen, I bought many people would want your broken nib. MB gave it back as essentially you bought a new nib, therefore you own the broken own.

I could be wrong, there may be a market for broken nibs on pens that most people don't own. Why don't you put it on ebay and see how it goes?

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

The pen is limited to 3,000 pieces like you say. They aren't going to be many people outside of the 2,999 other owners who would want the nib. As most people have working nibs in their pen, I bought many people would want your broken nib. MB gave it back as essentially you bought a new nib, therefore you own the broken own.

I could be wrong, there may be a market for broken nibs on pens that most people don't own. Why don't you put it on ebay and see how it goes?

Why is it a broken nib? he sent an M nib for a nib exchange to an EF and got the old M nib back.

Nibs being returned after requesting alternatives has been gone over before and I think it must be a Country thing.

Have sent a 149 in herringbone 18ct to have the signature nib replaced for a medium ( at my expense ) I received the removed nib back with the pen. Montblanc told me that it was my property and they had no other option but to do so.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

• 3 weeks later...

You could be wrong, there will always be a market for anything Montblanc. After all, MB brand is like Rolex these days, every other hick has one and they are all trying to show them off.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

In my experience, new "limited edition" pens lose their values drastically and there is no real market for them... but older limited edition pens are extremely sought after and command a large price as well.

Montblanc Pen PolishFountain Pen Flush

Used No. 9 nibs go for up to $200 at the US pen shows, depending on the nib's tip and date. I had a 1950s OB for sale at Ohio for $200, then $180. I wholesaled it for $100 to another vendor as I was leaving the last day. He will use in a 149, or flip it at retail for ~$200.

Another vendor has several No. 9 nibs for sale at $200 each. PM me with your email address if you want me to forward an inquiry.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr