The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Lamy 2000: M Vs Ef

lamy2000

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Attena

Attena

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2015 - 20:44

I do not have a Medium (hence my interest in this thread) but an Extra Fine, and I do not find it smooth, but feedbacky (not scratchy in a negative fashion, though). I have a hard time imagining a truly smooth Extra Fine nib, and definitely not anything comparable to any Medium. I have never had any problem with the often mentioned small sweet spot of the subject pen, though. Could be that it is a more obvious problem when the tip is larger.

Yes, what you say is true. EF nibs won't ever "flow" as much as M+. That fact made me use Medium nibs for most of my life. In the last year however, I guess I've changed the perspective of how my handwriting looks to me and found it more neat with a finer nib.

If you want, I can make some writting samples with my L2k Medium and next to it the rest of my current FP arsenal (Pilot Custom 74 in Fine, Pilot Capless in Fine, Twsbi 580 in Medium). So that you'd get some more examples.

Edited by Attena, 07 November 2015 - 20:47.

Sponsored Content

#22 coppilcus

coppilcus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2015 - 00:13

Thanks a lot. You say the EF is your favorite, and I'd kind of like to go that route too, but I also don't mind the little extra boldness offered by the F. So the main thing that's swaying me is not the line that it lays down - is the F smoother than the EF, and does it have a larger sweet spot? Or should two well-functioning F and EF pens not be too distinguishable on that vein? Thanks again.

The Lamy 2000 tends to be very wet, so the effects grows the broader the nib is. I had to tweak the three nibs in order to be satisfied with flow and smoothness and you have to use drier inks to get a consistent line in almost every kind of paper, if not, the experience changes a lot. Of course the broader the nib, the bigger is the sweet spot and bigger the chances to be less conscious of your writing position. Right now the softest is the medium, but only by its broader sweet spot, and then is the extra fine nib, which is the one it's inked all the time. I've fought more with the fine nib, but it is used more time because it uses less space of the page than the medium.

Thank you coppilcus, that was a great help! Even though I think line width might have been affected from the fact that you dipped the Medium and wrote normally with the others, I am seriously considering buying a Medium or Broad nib for my 2000 now. Or, if there is a special colour for the anniversary edition of the 2000, I can get that with a new nib size, so I can tell them apart.

The Lamy 2000 with the fine nib also was dipped... I got rid of the excess of ink using the mouth of the ink bottle, so no extra ink present when writing those samples.

The Lamy 2000 nibs tend to lay a bigger line than the Safari nibs, for example...

That looks really great. Thank you!

I really like the difference between the Medium and the EF!

Although, I find myself asking another question, similar to Snoutmol's. Does the EF also feel as smooth and as buttery as the Medium?
I am in love with my the feel of my Medium and if it's the same on the EF this will be a no-brainer to me. I'd start filling my piggy bank tomorrow! =D

I've read that the 2000's extra fine nib are a case of hit and miss, I can assure you that probably if you buy one, probably won't be a nice writing experience right out of the box, mine wasn't but I only have to aligned the tine correctly and voila! Fell in love...

... patience is very rewarding in the world of fountain pens.

The only pens that wrote flawlessly out of the box were the ones I bought directly from a nibmeister...

Edited by coppilcus, 08 November 2015 - 00:18.

#23 Noihvo

Noihvo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:42

I didn't know you could get a new nib for the 2000. Do you have to buy it through Lamy?

Potentially, yes, if you have the patience. My dad sent in his Dialog 3 to change the gold nib (though that is one of the modular standard Lamy nibs) and that took more than a month. I think if you do it the "official" way you have to send the pen in to Lamy, and the old nib will have to be in mint condition, and Lamy will keep the old nib for themselves. I do not know how much it will cost though.

The alternative is getting a separate nib off Ebay (something I did not know were possible until a few weeks ago) for about half the price o the pen. Then you get two nibs that you with a little care can change yourself. It is not as easy as with the usual Lamy line of nibs, but only a few minutes' work.

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Are you looking for a custom bound book? Check out my Etsy page.

#24 Nehalem

Nehalem

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2015 - 08:48

I had the 2000 Medium for a day and found it too big. (At that point, I only had a Pilot Metro Fine and some Preppy 0.3 F).The shop agreed to swap for an EF nib (the entire grip section actually). They advised me to go with an F but I settled on the EF.

I bought a Safari EF after that. It has a lot of feedback (more than I prefer) but compared to the regular Lamy (steel) nib, the 2000 EF has a very small "sweet spot".

After 3mos+, I bought my 2nd 2000 but this time in F (actually I bought 2, 1 Makrolon F and 1 Stainless Steel F--altho the SS is yet to arrive). I only had it for 1 week before losing it to a cabbie in an overseas work trip. The sweet spot is definitely larger in the F. Because my writing style varies a lot, the larger sweet spot results to a more consistent line width compared to the EF--which can reach near-F-width levels when writing on the sweet spot.

I have tried EF's from other enthusiasts and theirs definitely write quite a lot wider than my EF, also significantly wetter.

The Medium was butter smooth--just that I don't really prefer that much wideness...yet. Over the same amount of time, I have began to appreciate wider nibs (in my other pens). Even a pen that writes as wide as my 2000 M sample (haha) but right now I'm quite satisfied with the 2000 F.

I have writing samples for M compared to EF side-by-side but since I was new to the FP realm when I had the M so the 'writing sample' was my name. I can privately send you the photo if you like.

#25 GAtkins

GAtkins

Collectors Item

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2015 - 15:23

The broad is a fire hose.

Glenn

#26 51ISH

51ISH

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2015 - 23:48

That looks really great. Thank you!

I really like the difference between the Medium and the EF!

Although, I find myself asking another question, similar to Snoutmol's. Does the EF also feel as smooth and as buttery as the Medium?

I am in love with my the feel of my Medium and if it's the same on the EF this will be a no-brainer to me. I'd start filling my piggy bank tomorrow! =D

Did you realize you can return your Lamy 2000 to their head office in Heidelberg and get the nib exchanged for free?  Send them an email and they will send you an email in return telling you to return it to them, and include a copy of the email they sent you.  I recently exchanged my Medium for a Fine.....and find the Fine equally as smooth as the Medium, and if you are used to writing with Medium nibs you may want to consider a Fine as an alternative. I have no experience with their EF ....sorry.

#27 Noihvo

Noihvo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2015 - 13:25

Sorry for a bit of thread necromancy, but I just discovered this:

fpn_1450704225__p1010526.jpg

From the words "While walking at their slow pace…" and onwards, I write with a Faber-Castell Ondoro Medium, and before that is a Lamy 2000 Extra Fine. Ink is Koh-I-Noor Document Ink, and the paper is a cheap 70g spiral-bound. The line widths are identical. Food for thought…

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Are you looking for a custom bound book? Check out my Etsy page.

#28 rodja

rodja

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 20:46

Thank you very much coppilcus for your sample.

Can anybody else provide some other writing sample of EF vs F perhaps with some other pen for reference. I am going OCD about it.

Thank you very much! 

#29 pkoko

pkoko

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:24

I have both a medium & 2 EFs (one was lost). Both EFs were about the same width as Japanese F or FM. Both EFs were about 50% the line thickness of the medium.

I think of my FPs as my children.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lamy2000

Sponsored Content

|