Lamy 2000: M Vs Ef

Attena

Hello!

I've bought a Lamy2000 a few months back with a Medium nib and was really happy with it (and still am!).

Lately I've began to realize that I use it mostly only for underlining, signing and for writing main titles in my notebook. It proved to be slightly too wide for regular note taking and made my handwriting look a bit ... chunky. I use Iroshizuku inks and I know they tend to be a bit more on the wet-ish side.

So now I ask if there’s some helpful soul out there (I know you’re there!!) or a Lamy pen collector (I know a few of those are here too) that would be prepared to do a favour for me.

Could I ask you to provide me with a writing sample of L2K Medium and ExtraFine with the same ink?

I’ve been searching for pictures on the internet and sure .... you can find a lot of them, but I have found none that would nicely show me the width difference between a Medium and an ExtraFine.

I thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Attena

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Attena

• Noihvo

• a m a r g o

• Snoutmol

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will second this need of finding an experienced user's opinion of the difference between the actual line put down by the 2000's nibs, preferably with several typical inks (e.g. wet and dry) and papers (e.g. Clairfontaine and copy paper).

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

I will join the choir. Another writting sample would be nice. I am inclined towards the medium nib, but Attena's point made me second guess.

I have the Lamy 14kt two-tone nib on a Studio, and whilst I don't own a Lamy gold medium I could do some writing for you if you like with one of my other nibs? It is very wet. I'm an EF writer and it is far wider than any of my other nibs. I can compare against Lamy steel EF, Kaweco EF, Vanishing Point EF. I can also simply write with it upon Rhodia dotted grid for size context. Or Moleskine, Leuchtturm1917, etc.

Conid R DCB DB FT Ti & Montblanc 146 stub nib | Lamy 2000; Vista | Montblanc 90th Anni Legrand | Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange; M805 Stresemann | Pilot Prera; VP Guilloche | Visconti Fiorenza Lava LE; Homo Sapiens Bronze

Here's the story: I ordered a Lamy 2K in EF and it arrived in M, I sent it back and now I have it in EF. So I could tell you about the difference as I remember them and provide you with a writing sample of my 2K EF compared to my only other fountain pen: a Pilot Metropolitan in F.

Here's the story: I ordered a Lamy 2K in EF and it arrived in M, I sent it back and now I have it in EF. So I could tell you about the difference as I remember them and provide you with a writing sample of my 2K EF compared to my only other fountain pen: a Pilot Metropolitan in F.

That would be great =) :lol:

I will join the choir. Another writting sample would be nice. I am inclined towards the medium nib, but Attena's point made me second guess.

I hope I didn't make you second guess it too much. The thing is that the medium is great, really. And if you you have big handwritting or write in big capital letters it looks amazing. However if you have handwriting like me... slightly smaller and rounded, the e-s a-s etc get sort of jumbled up.. =)

Edited by Attena

I have the Lamy 14kt two-tone nib on a Studio, and whilst I don't own a Lamy gold medium I could do some writing for you if you like with one of my other nibs? It is very wet. I'm an EF writer and it is far wider than any of my other nibs. I can compare against Lamy steel EF, Kaweco EF, Vanishing Point EF. I can also simply write with it upon Rhodia dotted grid for size context. Or Moleskine, Leuchtturm1917, etc.

Great, but the problem is that the Lamy modular (two-tone) gold nibs are not the same as those on the 2000, which are unique for that particular pen (as far as I know). But thanks anyway!

"We are one."

I would like a sample too. Can't decide between the F and the EF. I'd like to see them on regular copy paper, where the lines tend to be thicker.

I'm running out of ink in my Lamy 2000 medium nib, so tomorrow I'll clean it and dip it in the ink I've got on the 2000 extra fine I'm also using...

See you tomorrow!

I'm running out of ink in my Lamy 2000 medium nib, so tomorrow I'll clean it and dip it in the ink I've got on the 2000 extra fine I'm also using...

See you tomorrow!

Amazing! Thank you! =D

Can't wait!

Here a few examples on different papers:

post-26352-0-48219100-1446859803_thumb.jpeg

post-26352-0-87603500-1446859558_thumb.jpeg

post-26352-0-62977100-1446859280_thumb.jpeg

Of course the experience varies a lot between pen, ink and paper, asi it with any fountain pen and ink... but I've to say that the EF nib is my favourite.

Edited by coppilcus

The difference with the medium nib is huge in those papers and with that ink, so it wouldn't be a reference as to decide between the medium and an extra fine...

Thanks a lot. You say the EF is your favorite, and I'd kind of like to go that route too, but I also don't mind the little extra boldness offered by the F. So the main thing that's swaying me is not the line that it lays down - is the F smoother than the EF, and does it have a larger sweet spot? Or should two well-functioning F and EF pens not be too distinguishable on that vein? Thanks again.

Thank you coppilcus, that was a great help! Even though I think line width might have been affected from the fact that you dipped the Medium and wrote normally with the others, I am seriously considering buying a Medium or Broad nib for my 2000 now. Or, if there is a special colour for the anniversary edition of the 2000, I can get that with a new nib size, so I can tell them apart.

"We are one."

That looks really great. Thank you!

I really like the difference between the Medium and the EF!

Although, I find myself asking another question, similar to Snoutmol's. Does the EF also feel as smooth and as buttery as the Medium?

I am in love with my the feel of my Medium and if it's the same on the EF this will be a no-brainer to me. I'd start filling my piggy bank tomorrow! =D

Edited by Attena

That looks really great. Thank you!

I really like the difference between the Medium and the EF!

Although, I find myself asking another question, similar to Snoutmol's. Does the EF also feel as smooth and as buttery as the Medium?

I am in love with my the feel of my Medium and if it's the same on the EF this will be a no-brainer to me. I'd start filling my piggy bank tomorrow! =D

I do not have a Medium (hence my interest in this thread) but an Extra Fine, and I do not find it smooth, but feedbacky (not scratchy in a negative fashion, though). I have a hard time imagining a truly smooth Extra Fine nib, and definitely not anything comparable to any Medium. I have never had any problem with the often mentioned small sweet spot of the subject pen, though. Could be that it is a more obvious problem when the tip is larger.

"We are one."

Thank you coppilcus, that was a great help! Even though I think line width might have been affected from the fact that you dipped the Medium and wrote normally with the others, I am seriously considering buying a Medium or Broad nib for my 2000 now. Or, if there is a special colour for the anniversary edition of the 2000, I can get that with a new nib size, so I can tell them apart.

I didn't know you could get a new nib for the 2000. Do you have to buy it through Lamy?