The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Technical Pen Help -- Rotring Rapidograph Vs. Isograph

technical pen rapidograph isograph rotring

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bourbonyNY

bourbonyNY

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:50

a question for those with technical pen knowledge -- 

i remember futzing around with some old school plastic rotring technical pens when i was a kid visiting some older cousins.  i would mostly just draw/sketch/doodle with them, and it wasn't until years later when i got into fountain pens that i started reading up on rotring.  

these days, rotring remains a favorite partly because of this nostalgia, but i'm really more interested in their fountain/ballpoint/rollerballs.  i remain curious about those technical pens, though.  can someone tell me what they were originally made for?  i've read online that they are for architecture/design/technical drawings, but i think my cousins were only in high school, or maybe college.  also, what's the difference is between rapidographs and isographs?  it is simply that one uses cartridges and the other refills from ink bottles?  

thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2015 - 16:47

I can only talk about Rapidographs, they were made for doing all varieties of technical drawing.  Architecture, graphic design, lettering, etc.  My recollection is that they had to be used very often or they would clog and need to be disassembled and cleaned.  Rapidographs are piston fillers and their nib came be unscrewed and replaced with an Estie nib.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: technical pen, rapidograph, isograph, rotring

Sponsored Content

|