Wondering About Engeika

Blue_Moon

I've heard great things about Engeika, but I'm starting to wonder now. Last Saturday, Oct. the 17th, I placed an order for a Pilot 743 with an SU nib. I got the confirmation e-mail, and was anxiously looking forward to my pen. I heard that he was fast - 9 days to get to one buyer in the states. Anyway, a week went by, and I heard nothing. I thought I was supposed to get an e-mail when it shipped. I e-mailed him on Sunday and got a prompt response back:

Thank you so much for your email.

We would like to inform you that your order is already in stock.

We will ship the parcel very soon.

A tracking number will be sent to your Paypal email automatically.

However, that was Monday. and it's Wednesday morning now. I was just wondering if others have had this experience and this is normal. From comments I read on various threads on FPN, I was expecting to place an order and, provided it was in stock, have it shipped out within a day or two. I'm not impressed, thus far.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcwaites

• Blue_Moon

• Vpen

• kpurpose10

About par for the course. I've learned to be patient with any and all of my Chinese orders. I got a Pilot pen and some ink recently from Engeika and it took a solid week or so after placing the order before I had any contact with them. It turns out my pen wasn't in stock initially but they didn't inform me of this until I sent an inquiry.

Hang tight. You're goods will certainly show up. If you're in a hurry, order stateside and pay a small premium. If you don't mind the wait, order overseas and save a few bucks.

About par for the course. I've learned to be patient with any and all of my Chinese orders. I got a Pilot pen and some ink recently from Engeika and it took a solid week or so after placing the order before I had any contact with them. It turns out my pen wasn't in stock initially but they didn't inform me of this until I sent an inquiry.

Hang tight. You're goods will certainly show up. If you're in a hurry, order stateside and pay a small premium. If you don't mind the wait, order overseas and save a few bucks.

Engeika is Japanese and in my experience has been prompt to ship. As frustrating as it is, I'm sure you'll get it, but when you're excited about a new toy that's on its way...eventually.

I have done business with Engeika in the past...(Japanese)...and have had good service...

recently I placed an order for 2 Sailor Pens...both Limited Editions...they were advertised on the web site as limited supply, but apparently not in stock.

One pen took just over a month, and the other just under a month. (the 2nd one just shipped 2 days ago)...

Engeika always replied within 24-48 hours to my inquiries asking the status of my orders...normally the response just said waiting for Sailor and little else, but I always received a reply.

I have found Engeika to be a reliable place to purchase product....and would not hesitate again in the future...

I will also state...it is very hard to be patient when you order a product like a Fountain Pen that you want NOW! as in RIGHT NOW!

But the economic savings are usually worth the wait.

Bill

Hi, just to clarify a little: are you referring to the engeika dotcom website or the engeika seller on ebay?

I had a couple of bad experiences with the ebay seller. First I ordered a couple of parker vector pens, expecting to receive a japanese product or at least sent from japan as advertised. That time I received a different model and sent from India, the shipping took about 2 months to Mexico. The second time I thought I was dealing with a different user "0588_tiger" from Japan, this is actually an alias for engeika (same paypal account), and the experience was almost as bad as the first time. The second time I bought Kokuyo camlin ink, expecting it from Japan, but it came very slowly from India.

I've had no experiences with the engeika webstore.

I've ordered from Engeika on Ebay in the past without issues. Bear in mind you're buying from Japan and chances are the seller does not keep the pen in stock and orders from the manufacturer. On a more recent purchase, a Chatres Blue 3776 Platinum took almost three weeks to get to Toronto from Japan and Canada Post as well as Canada Border Services can take their sweet time but I paid a lot less even after taxes (got dinged) than say buying locally or from the US.

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

I think the e-bay seller and the store are the same. I bought from the store.

@Bill Smith - He said it was in stock. See OP.

Pardon my mistake on the Chinese/Japanese location. If ordering from the Eastern Hemisphere you would be wise to have patience.

Regardless, I have ordered from Engeika and received great items at great prices, but they were slow to deliver in my case as they were with the OP.

Last item I bought from Engeika -

paid for 08 Sept

Shipped 09 Sept

Delivered 14 Sept (and that was with a weekend in between)

Effectively 4 days Japan -> Australia.

Every time I have bought from him I have had similar results.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I've just placed my first order from Engeika, direct from the website - an unbelievably low price on a Pilot VP body. Am hoping my experience is similar to @dcwaites - but will have to wait and see. Certainly, their prices are very competitive on a range of Japanese pen brands...

This time it didn't show it, but the tracking usually shows how long my package has been in Customs.

Once it showed that it had spent 30 minutes in Customs, in which time it had been scanned, X-rayed and drooled on by a drug sniffer dog (no charge for the drool).

Granny Aching

Mine took 5 weeks to arrive. :P

Hi, just to clarify a little: are you referring to the engeika dotcom website or the engeika seller on ebay?

I had a couple of bad experiences with the ebay seller. First I ordered a couple of parker vector pens, expecting to receive a japanese product or at least sent from japan as advertised. That time I received a different model and sent from India, the shipping took about 2 months to Mexico. The second time I thought I was dealing with a different user "0588_tiger" from Japan, this is actually an alias for engeika (same paypal account), and the experience was almost as bad as the first time. The second time I bought Kokuyo camlin ink, expecting it from Japan, but it came very slowly from India.

I've had no experiences with the engeika webstore.

Engeika also has an Indian branch (Pensindia.com). Indian products are shipped from there.

Thank you so much for your email.

We would like to inform you that your order is already in stock.

We will ship the parcel very soon.

A tracking number will be sent to your Paypal email automatically.

I've also recently ordered from Engeika, and after a few days of silence, I made an enquiry and received the email as above the next day. I thought that I'm going to wait for a few weeks for my goods to arrive, but it arrived in less than a week. In my experience, Engeika tends to have very sparse communication, but the delivery is the fastest of all the online retailers that I've used. I live in Asia though.

I've also recently ordered from Engeika, and after a few days of silence, I made an enquiry and received the email as above the next day. I thought that I'm going to wait for a few weeks for my goods to arrive, but it arrived in less than a week. In my experience, Engeika tends to have very sparse communication, but the delivery is the fastest of all the online retailers that I've used. I live in Asia though.

I think his delivery is fast because he uses EMS. Other mail systems seem to be slower.

Granny Aching

Tomorrow will be two weeks from the date the order was placed. No other communication, since the one mentioned earlier in the thread. The last e-mail said it was in stock, and that PayPal would be sent a tracking number. Just to clarify - it's NOT that I'm impatient. It's about customer service, or the lack thereof. Can he have too much business? If I ran a business, I would certainly hire enough help so that an order for something that I had in stock would ship within two business days at the most. Having said that, I can certainly understand a tragedy striking a small family business - death in the family, etc. However, there's been no communication, other than a respons to my e-mail telling me it was in stock and shipping soon. Getting less impressed by the day.

I have had mixed dealings with Engieka in terms of shipping. My first order a few years back got shipped the next day. My last order took well over a week even though the item was supposedly in stock (perhaps my ink was not?). However his service has generally been top notch when prompted. He has done a nib swap for me on a Pilot C92 at a small aditional fee. He has looked into getting speciality nibs into a realo but they could not. I missed out on a free shipping deal to clicking some wrong buttons but they gave me free shipping a week later when I decided to go through with teh purchase with minor changes.

I think we get spoiled by some vendors such as the Goulet's (if only USPS was not so ridicously expensive).

Okay - I need to apologize. My pen shipped on the 27th - the day after he e-mailed me. The shipping e-mail went to my spam filter. I didn't even consider that.

Edited by Blue_Moon

Has anyone noticed that they removed all the Sailor products from their website?

Daniel

The challenge of modernity is to live without illusions and without becoming disillusioned.

Gramsci

Has anyone noticed that they removed all the Sailor products from their website?

Only if you haven't signed in. If you sign in you still see all those tempting goodies

like this

http://www.engeika.com/data/engeika/product/20131024_a97826.jpg

and this

http://www.engeika.com/data/engeika/product/20130916_c1c75b.jpg

and this

http://www.engeika.com/data/engeika/product/20151001_8c6a8f.jpg

Granny Aching