The Matador Thread

christof

The thread became very rich in a short time, that is thrilling !

Vikram has a point "a case of matching product design with local market style" and the idea of "an independent French Matador company" but it does not exclude Eberfeld as the central manufacturer... at least in the period before the war.

After the war it was different, nobody wanted a German pen in France, I guess... otherwise we would have seen later French Matador pens.

Just to amplify the information, Stephen Hull, the English pen historian, writes in one of his books that the Matador factory was never destroyed during the war because it was by the side of a hospital.

And now I am extremely curious of the "surprise for the group in about a weeks time"

I want to imagine he is the one who bought the Matador -Crocker filling system- that kawuska saw in e bay and that we will see it here soon and working...

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kawuska

• Azuniga

• christof

• Parcival

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Vikram has a point "a case of matching product design with local market style" and the idea of "an independent French Matador company" but it does not exclude Eberfeld as the central manufacturer... at least in the period before the war.

After the war it was different, nobody wanted a German pen in France, I guess... otherwise we would have seen later French Matador pens.

At this point I am certain that French Matador were the same company as Elberfeld's. I don't think French Matador were produced by independent company but do understand Christof's point of view due to the vast design difference.

That tidbit from Hull's book is quite interesting - makes me hopeful of discovering more.

I found this here. I think it translates to Matador Unbreakable Safety/Security pen. Unsure about the filling system though; looks like a John Holland.

http://i.imgur.com/wh7O9IB.jpg

Well well... that is something !

For the moment I can only thank Christof for having started this thread...

I only can thank YOU all for this informations and pictures you added in no time!

Actually, the fact that the pen on the "Briefmarkenkapselgeld" and the one on the French box are the same, makes it more certain that my theorie is wrong.

C.

Edited by christof

Actually, the fact that the pen on the "Briefmarkenkapselgeld" and the one on the French box are the same, makes it more certain that my theorie is wrong.

C.

Hello

Don t do it!`We do not have reliable sources about the one or the other version is right. We must think in terms of the very first day of the European fountainpens. With its foundation in 1895 Matador was one of the first producers of this branche. Most of the fountainpens appear in BHR and the styles of the different brands do not differ very much from each other. One of the most wanted basic models in middle Europe had been the safety from Waterman. Minimal technical changes followed by own Patents could bypass the original Patent. The market seemed to be unlimited for the pioneers and a well reputated brand could have a world- wide network of daughter establishments and repair workshops. The competition between the brands was different compared with today`s fights.

We have examples for daughter firms which split off and founted their own production like JIF Waterman or Luxor (former daughter of Kaweco) and we can not demerge a reliable history of Columbus/ Salamander/ Meissner. We do not have a souce of the relations between Matador, Eckardt and Standard. We do not have conclusions, how long the daughter firms used the old brands. (On the other hand, we have a secure source, that a worker from Matador established "Mercedes" pens)

Some days ago I mailed to a civic association in Elberfeld, I hope that some senior members remembering the old factory can point me a way to find a former worker from there. I did not find yet progenies of Marga Loewen who had been the last CEO of Matador. I did not get a response to my mails but we have the time.

Kind Regards

Thomas

"The competition between the brands was different compared with today`s fights", well, Thomas is right... and since the point of this thread, I believe, is to find the most we can in relation to Matador because it is surprisingly strong and resistant, it has an appealing name, as strong for export (France, Spain...) as for the local market... we love it, and in my case when I found them they were so cheap I could not believe it and I did not have to resist to buy them... so we should keep on going.

"Some days ago I mailed to a civic association in Elberfeld, I hope that some senior members remembering the old factory can point me a way to find a former worker from there. I did not find yet progenies of Marga Loewen who had been the last CEO of Matador. I did not get a response to my mails but we have the time"... and this is an excellent initiative Thomas, Thank you !

Vikram,

I just added your blog to my reading list....wonderful photography!

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

• 1 month later...

This is new to me. I, too, saved, a copy. Thank you.

The 991 clipless looks cute. The duo-tone gold:platinum plating pattern is interesting, I have not seen that before.

Any idea about the year? The text highlights 40 years of pen making experience.

My small effort to revive this thread. A Turbo 992 with OB #3 nib.

http://i.imgur.com/vWmJV97.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/JWNc3Af.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/7A7MDvb.jpg?1

Hello Markiv,

I see you had more luck bidding than me ;) I was wondering what size it was, nice catch!

The Matador leaflet had no year description but these seem to be just-pre-war models.I wonder if the bi-color nib was really plated that way or the printing editor was too lazy to spare it.

We should keep this thread alive indeed…

fpn_1450973393__mat.jpg

Oohh, I love those.

I'm fond of Bakelite!

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Any idea about the year? The text highlights 40 years of pen making experience.

I think you are right: 1935. There is a little round paper application, does it cover something? possibly some illegal swastica or other NS symbol?

This was to be my first Turbo so I guess the risk paid off.

Hello Markiv,

I see you had more luck bidding than me ;) I was wondering what size it was, nice catch!

The Matador leaflet had no year description but these seem to be just-pre-war models.I wonder if the bi-color nib was really plated that way or the printing editor was too lazy to spare it.

Nice!!

We should keep this thread alive indeed…

fpn_1450973393__mat.jpg

Wow - you have an amazing stash of things. Would love to learn if these were sourced from the factory.

Ha! Thank you. I didn`t expect this, very nice commercial gimmick!

BTW: I love these snake clips. I cannot get enough of them:

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/Thomasnr/fuumllSchlangenclip_zpse6982762.jpg

Kind Regards

Thomas