New Parker Fountain Pen Models

Tancred

I guess that in the run-up to Black Friday and then Christmas this was bound to happen.

http://www.parkerpen.com/en-GB/duofold-prestige

http://www.parkerpen.com/en-GB/duofold-classic

The Duofold line has been split into 'Prestige' and 'Classic' models. The classic ones are not much different from the current Duofolds, other than for the thicker cap ring, but there is a Big Red vintage model with the 1920s Duofold inscription on the barrel. I guess they'll do other vintage models like the Mandarin and Lapis Blue given that it looks like the Historical Colours are being phased out.

The real new is the Prestige Duofold line up, which is quite interesting, having the chevron pattern and the metal nib section.

Some interesting changes to the Sonnet line up too:

http://www.parkerpen.com/en-GB/store/collections-sonnet#

Ones to note are the Brown Rubber model and the new Cisele types with the gold plated nib section.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tancred

• richardandtracy

• pajaro

• inkstainedruth

While I do hate the feel of metal sections, I have to admit they seem to suit that herringbone pattern very well. The burgundy version is particularly... suave. Yep, that's the word for it.

Also, I just like to hear Parker are coming out with new efforts, gives me hope for the company.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Metal sections are not always cold and slippery; I've used them on several pens and only in a few cases have they caused me issues. The trend is definitely now for metal sections on high end pens, whether we like it or not, so we'd better get used to it.

With respect to the Duofold Prestige I like the dark blue and burgundy red versions best - the black one seems a bit pointless to me as it would have looked better with gold trim. The ruthenium all metal pen is intriguing - I would like to see it in real life before deciding.

I also like the 'Big Red' vintage; the others in the Duofold Classic line up seem to be just modified versions of the historical colours.

I enjoy the looks of the Big Red vintage, but why did they make it with silver colored trim? Gold would have been much more classic.

"Oh deer."

I did see a couple of decent ballpoints there.

Let's rehash the same old with a facelift. Roll the dice . . .

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Glad they've gone back to the black sections for the 'Classic' range. From an engineering point of view this is sensible - only have to make one colour section regardless of the pen it's going on. From a historical point of view it's sensible too. I also feel it looks right.

I have few comments about the gold coloured sections, apart from hoping that the metal underneath is the same colour so it doesn't look awful when it wears through. Even if it doesn't wear through in the first owner's lifetime, it will wear. That is the only certainty about plating.

I do feel saddened that Parker has been indoctrinated by Montblanc's advertising drivel, and they now call the stuff in the Duofold 'Precious Resin' as opposed to what it is - acrylic.

Where, though, is the P&B? It was the nicest of the colours by far.

Regards,

Richard.

I enjoy the looks of the Big Red vintage, but why did they make it with silver colored trim? Gold would have been much more classic.

There is a tendency now among pen manufacturers to mix 'warm' colours with 'cold' trims. Eg. red and yellow with silver trim.

Thanks for posting the links. I did notice, while navigating around the Parker site, that they have a lot more ink colors in bottles than is normally found....

The blue herringbone Prestige is attractive. But after my experiences with the Urban, and with Parker's customer service department, I'm thinking I'll stick to vintage Parkers.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On further reading I have a horrible feeling that the 'Prestige' models have metal barrels & caps with a 'Lacquer' finish.

Oh, what a pity. Will be easier to make this way than in resin, but CNC engraving is fast - not as fast as the laser engraving they are talking about, but at least resin barrels would retain their colour & not chip off whatever is done to them. Lacquer, however tenacious, is not as good at retaining its colour after severe wear as a self coloured material. These pens appear to be jewellery, not writing instruments.

As I said, what a pity.

Regards,

Richard.

Some decent looking pens! The big red version looks good, but I would have preferred gold trim.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

On further reading I have a horrible feeling that the 'Prestige' models have metal barrels & caps with a 'Lacquer' finish.

Oh, what a pity. Will be easier to make this way than in resin, but CNC engraving is fast - not as fast as the laser engraving they are talking about, but at least resin barrels would retain their colour & not chip off whatever is done to them. Lacquer, however tenacious, is not as good at retaining its colour after severe wear as a self coloured material. These pens appear to be jewellery, not writing instruments.

As I said, what a pity.

Regards,

Richard.

Not sure what you are talking about - I have two magnificent Waterman Patricians from the 1990s made of brass and lacquer and they are very solid, have great heft and write superbly. They have retained their colour for sure. And fountain pens can be both excellent writing instruments and look great as well - there is no contradiction.

Edited by Tancred

These pens look great! But I hope the Duofold's are resin rather than metal. Resin, imo feels more balanced and comfortable than metal. The Duofold is not a very small pen. The metal will quickly add weight.

The Classic Duofolds are acrylic, while the Prestige ones are metal with lacquer coatings except for the ruthenium version which is all metal.

Not sure what you are talking about - I have two magnificent Waterman Patricians from the 1990s made of brass and lacquer and they are very solid, have great heft and write superbly. They have retained their colour for sure. And fountain pens can be both excellent writing instruments and look great as well - there is no contradiction.

OK, take an extreme [theoretical] example. Put the Patrician on concrete, put you foot on it and scrape it along. Will the lacquer scratch through & show the metal? Almost certainly. Do the same with a through coloured resin pen, and no different colour will show. That's what I mean.

In years of use, the lacquer will chip off - see enamelling on jewellery, that's something that is probably greater in its tenacity than modern lacquer. It may take 80 years, but it does chip or scape off, and the item looks rather worse than it would have done had it been through coloured.

Have you ever seen a Sonnet with the lacquer scratched through? I have. It's very sad. It would be even more sad to see the same on a Duofold.

Regards,

Richard.

OK, take an extreme [theoretical] example. Put the Patrician on concrete, put you foot on it and scrape it along. Will the lacquer scratch through & show the metal? Almost certainly. Do the same with a through coloured resin pen, and no different colour will show. That's what I mean.

In years of use, the lacquer will chip off - see enamelling on jewellery, that's something that is probably greater in its tenacity than modern lacquer. It may take 80 years, but it does chip or scape off, and the item looks rather worse than it would have done had it been through coloured.

Have you ever seen a Sonnet with the lacquer scratched through? I have. It's very sad. It would be even more sad to see the same on a Duofold.

Regards,

Richard.

I agree. I have a Caran d'Ache with green lacquer peeling off. Looks like the wrath of God. The only way I can hope to keep the Waterman Laureats and Parker Sonnets I have intact is to treat them very gently. I have a Sheaffer Prelude with the lacquer beginning to peel off.

One member has repainted Carrenes with paint. Probably the best answer.

Give me that old time Parker 51. After trying a smorgasbord of newer pens I have come back where I started: the resin pens Parker 51 and Montblanc 144. Better than any modern pen in every possible way.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

In years of use, the lacquer will chip off - see enamelling on jewellery, that's something that is probably greater in its tenacity than modern lacquer. It may take 80 years, but it does chip or scape off,at and the item looks rather worse than it would have done had it been through coloured.

Regards,

Richard.

OK, but then the logic is don't be a careless fool and drop your pens on the pavement! High end pens are to be treated with respect and looked after properly. Would you openly wear a solid gold Rolex or a replica? I know what I would wear!

I agree. I have a Caran d'Ache with green lacquer peeling off. Looks like the wrath of God. The only way I can hope to keep the Waterman Laureats and Parker Sonnets I have intact is to treat them very gently. I have a Sheaffer Prelude with the lacquer beginning to peel off.

One member has repainted Carrenes with paint. Probably the best answer.

Give me that old time Parker 51. After trying a smorgasbord of newer pens I have come back where I started: the resin pens Parker 51 and Montblanc 144. Better than any modern pen in every possible way.

Treat a pen brutally and it will show signs of wear and tear - this happens to any pen. These high end expensive pens should be used gently and seldom - they are objets d'art, not just pens.

Treat a pen brutally and it will show signs of wear and tear - this happens to any pen. These high end expensive pens should be used gently and seldom - they are objets d'art, not just pens.

So, they are too delicate to be used, and are just collectibles. I don't think they were sold on those terms. They aren't expensive enough to be just relics. When the lacquer wears off, paint them in new colors.

To el senor Tancred, these aren't high end pens.

I like the relative lightness of the resin pens anyway, and my preferred pens are better pens.

Regards,

Richard.

I agree. I have a lovely black lacquered Parker Classic FP and I am very sad seeing the enamel, or whatever it is, chipping off the body.

Khan M. Ilyas