Absolute Beginner - Confused; Where To Begin?

abstractsbybrian

I've read the book section.

I'm leaning on getting the calligraphers Bible and Write Now

I'm confused to where I should really start?

Should I learn to improve my cursive first?

Or jump write into learning calligraphy?

I've seen some amazing cursive handwriting on here. I look at that and think, why bother with calligraphy?

Any advice to give me would be great, thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GClef

• dms525

• abstractsbybrian

• Andreas Weber

Top Posters In This Topic

start by learning how to perform the basic strokes that make up the style of writing/lettering you want to learn, then put them together.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/221206-the-many-sides-of/?p=3242662'>http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/gclef1114/Gibberish/79D17C87-81F0-4A16-9DB0-6E6115E600CD.jpg

Well, apparently I messed up my clever link when my OCD got the best of me, and I just HAD to correct an error in my initial post.

But you can find the post here>>> https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/221206-the-many-sides-of/?p=3242662.

Edited by GClef

"Calligraphy" just means "beautiful writing," from the Greek. There are many, many styles of calligraphy. Which are you interested in studying? And why? If you just want your current style of cursive writing to be "neater," that's what you should work on. If you really want to write formal italic or copperplate or uncial or a gothic style, go for that.

Look through some books with examples of many different hands to become familiar with the options. Once you have chosen, stick with that hand until you have mastered it. Don't try to learn many hands simultaneously. I don't think that works.

Once you have made your decision, I'm sure you can get more individualized advice.

Happy writing!

David

I've seen some amazing cursive handwriting on here. I look at that and think, why bother with calligraphy?

What is - for you - the difference between beautiful cursive handwriting and calligraphy? Defining that might help you get better advice. I've seen some great copperplate calligraphy on here as well ;) ...

Edited by Andreas Weber

the cat half awake

and half sleeping on the book

"Quantum Mechanics"

(inspired by a German haiku by Tony Böhle)

I've heard that foundation calligraphy is a good one to start.

The "Foundational Hand" was developed by Edward Johnston in the early years of the last century. It was based on a version of Carolingian script (Ca. 700) used in the Ramsey Psalter, penned in England in the Middle Ages. Johnston felt it was a good first calligraphic hand. Not every one agrees that it's the best. These days, a script based on formal italic seems most popular for helping people improve their handwriting. I think the Getty & Dubay book, "Write Now," that you mentioned in the OP is a good tool, if that's your goal.

Please recognize that they key ingredients (IMO) for improvement are: 1) Have a good model to start with; 2) diligent daily practice; 3) critical practice. That means, after you have written some, stop and examine in critically. Identify issues that need improvement, then concentrate on those issues as you write some more. "Write Now" provides a good progressive structure for this learning process, I think.

I would not invest in "The Calligrapher's Bible" at this point, but you might want to check it or a similar book out of your library, just to see the variety of calligraphic hands that have been used through the ages.

Happy writing!

David