The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Cracked Threads In A 146

146 crack threads section ink window

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guitarist

Guitarist

Doodler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2015 - 14:31

I purchased a pre-owned 146 and was disappointed - to say the least - to find a crack nearly a whole centimeter long. It runs from the section through the threads up to the ink window. The crack seems to have been remedied as it appears to be covered in some kind of sealant. As of now the pen writes flawlessly, but could this be a source of future problems such as leaking?

IMG_5646.JPG

It is a 146 with a beautiful monotone 14k nib. Is this pen a vintage piece worth keeping or is it a $250 refund waiting to happen?

Urushiphile

Sponsored Content

#2 jcm499

jcm499

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2015 - 15:09

Typically I would say if you like the nib you should keep the pen.  If the crack ever acts up, Montblanc will fix it fairly cheaply, and there are plenty of boutiques in Florida.

On the other hand, $250 + the service charge to fix the crack should get you a mint condition 146 in my opinion. There are LOTS of 146s out there.

My recommendation: Keep it only if you find the nib exceptional. 

Edit: It seems the crack wasn't disclosed before purchase. You could contact the seller, and see if you can work out a partial refund so you can keep the pen, and get it fixed if it leaks for an acceptable total price.

Edited by jcm499, 24 October 2015 - 15:11.

#3 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2015 - 15:10

Yes present and future problem and it looks like someone tried to repair it only making things worse.  I would ask for a refund at that price or if I really liked the pen send it to Montblanc along with a letter explaining that the previous owner did it (Always delegate guilt) and begging them to fix it.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#4 T4TEXAS

T4TEXAS

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2015 - 15:12

Refund and find a better one.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

SnailBadge.png

#5 Z-Tab

Z-Tab

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2015 - 18:10

Send it back and get a full refund. $250 should be enough to get a nearly mint condition 146 and $340 ($250 + ~$90 for the repair) is certainly enough. 

I would only keep it if it had an exceptional nib in an unusual size.

#6 Guitarist

Guitarist

Doodler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2015 - 19:24

IMG_5651.PNG

Here is the nib after a bit of cleaning. I did attempt to negotiate with the seller but he preferred a full refund over a partial refund. I truly do enjoy the pen, but the crack is indeed concerning.

Urushiphile

#7 Keyless Works

Keyless Works

Antique

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2015 - 19:31

I would return it.  I know it's obvious but make sure you document everything well and return via a trackable method.

#8 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 20:18

I would go with a full refund. It will need a Montblanc service to get new parts, as that crack can never be fixed without new parts.

For that price I bought a brand new 146 from my local department store that weren't going to sell Mb pens anymore.

There are loads of 146's out there that are better for this kind of price. Just get your money back, and get another one. I'm sure you will like it just as much

#9 Guitarist

Guitarist

Doodler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2015 - 22:32

Thanks everyone. I will be returning the pen in hopes of finding a better 146. 

Edited by Drcollector, 24 October 2015 - 23:12.

Urushiphile

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 146, crack, threads, section, ink window

Sponsored Content

|