Franklin Christoph 20 Pen Case In Black

steelblue

These are a few images of the case that arrived today from FC. Taken with my phone at work so pardon the quality.

Initial impressions are that this is a wonderful value at the current price of $79.50. The leather is amazing - nothing whatsoever 'bonded' or imitation here and thick enough to offer real protection.

The stitching is precise and has no flaws or looseness. Interior is equally consistent and impressive and I don't see any issues trusting my more expensive pens to the soft lining of the inner cushioned flaps.

Would I put a Nakaya in here? Possibly but it is more likely to live in it's own case anyway.

Some have understandably expressed concerns about the tightness of the double inner elastic loops. They are indeed tight but I can't see how they would work to secure smaller diameter pens if they were any less so. The loops in my case certainly don't feel unreasonably tight or excessive. I personally don't see any issue with keeping resin pens in here although I have not filled each pen slot yet and that may change things. So far with adjacent slots filled the tightness is merely what I would expect to keep the pens secured.

I am using my Sailors and Pilots I right now and they aren't in these pictures. When I store them it will be in this case and I have no scratching or pressure concerns at all. The straps can be somewhat loosened with a thick Jinhao 159 or a finger working them out a few times.

EDIT: Loops are definitely tight and it takes some effort to insert pens - I don't think this any redesign or difference from the other reviews or threads about this.

There is enough depth that even with larger pens I'm not having any worries closing the case. The interior dividers feel slightly cushioned but I may be wrong. They certainly feel like they provide ample protection.

Hope to do a better review once it's been in use awhile. Very pleased with this case. I will add another exterior shot later tonight.

post-124763-0-88165300-1445628555_thumb.jpg

post-124763-0-48971800-1445628564_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steelblue

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steelblue

• FountainPenBibliophile

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And another image of the 20 pen case exterior. I neglected to mention it comes in a very nice drawstring bag within the FC box.

Also picked up two FC leather single pen sleeves, a large in black and medium in brown. I'm a bit concerned about the interiors. Looks like a nylon lining but feels rougher than I expected in a leather sleeve. I had hoped for just leather interior. I don't see how breaking in the leather will do anything to soften the interior lining but quite possibly it's ok as it is.

The large holds a Pelikan M805 snugly with the top exposed as it is designed to do. A Jinhao 159 also fits well.

The medium sleeve will accommodate a Sailor 1911 Large but you'll struggle getting it back out of the new, stiff leather. They are designed to be flat when empty and will form to fit the pen somewhat once broken in per the FC product page.

It's clear to me they are excellent for carrying a frequently used pen all day in a pocket without hassling with a flap.

If I can be sure the interior is resin and fine finish friendly - I think it must be since FC pens are glossy acrylic, I will be very happy with these.

Available in maroon, black and brown. Small is $16, medium $21 and the large is $26.

post-124763-0-32791600-1445630531_thumb.jpg

post-124763-0-60487900-1445631377_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steelblue

I have the exact same case (the 20) and I love it!

Edited by FountainPenBibliophile