Lightweight Chinese Pens?

Precise

I have a number of Duke and Jinaho pens. I like them very much and have improved several by adding O-ring cap seals and/or flattening the nib tips in the Italian style.

But much as I enjoy these pens at my desk. I don't like to carry them. They all have brass bodies and weigh over 40 grams.

Do you know of any Chinese pens which weigh less than 25-30 grams? I would be happiest if their nib was not hooded in the Parker 51 style.

Best,

Alan

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Precise

• platon951

• bobje

• Seele

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a Wing Sung that is an all plastic, octagonal shaped pen in dark red that I enjoy using. It writes a nice wet medium line, but I had to do some tweaking to the nib to get it that way.

They also make a dark green that I'll be picking up next.

Not a bad Pen for 8 bucks.

Edited by Zookie

I have a Wing Sung that is an all plastic, octagonal shaped pen in dark red that I enjoy using. It writes a nice wet medium line, but I had to do some tweaking to the nib to get it that way.

They also make a dark green that I'll be picking up next.

Not a bad Pen for 8 bucks.

I'm looking at some Wing Sung on ebay. They all appear to have a rubber bladder ink chamber. They also appear to be decades old. Are you aware of problems with old rubber bladders cracking (as they often do)?

Some of them state the weight, like 1/25 gram, or 1/15 gram. Of course they can't be a twenty-fifth of a gram. I'm puzzled about this way of stating weight.

PS The octagonal Wing Sung 2007 pens look just like the Omas Milord. The weight is similar too. But the Milord has piston fill. I have a couple of Milords.

Edited by Precise

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JINHAO-886-Yellow-most-stylish-pen-pocket-Medium-Nib-Fountain-Pen-NEW-/141659204716?hash=item20fb8bec6c:g:hYUAAOSwKrhVcfyT

I've become very fond of using this Jinhao 886. It's an original design that's light in weight because it's all plastic, writes well, posts nice and securely, and its cost makes it easily replaceable.

The Jinhao 599 is a copy of the Lamy Safari and is very light and very cheap at just a few dollars shipped (including a converter) - I have several with medium and fine nibs, and they're surprisingly good.

Then the Jinhao X750 seems popular and gets decent reviews, though I don't know how heavy it is - I'm waiting on one from China so hopefully I'll know soon.

Alan

Here are a few

Jinhao 599 (18g) Plastic safari type, not everyones' cuppa.

Baoer 3035 (28g) Well styled "slimmish" pen.

Baoer 388 (24g) excellent Sonnet "homage"

Hero 77 (29g) Lovely pen with a semi-hooded nib.

Wing Sung 590 (24g) a behemoth of a pen, huge but extremely reliable.

Ian

Precise, I'm unfamiliar with flattening nib tips in an Italian style. What is that? Might there be photographs of this style available?

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Precise, I'm unfamiliar with flattening nib tips in an Italian style. What is that? Might there be photographs of this style available?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/297964-my-italian-nibs-are-my-smoothest/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/298062-where-the-metal-meets-the-paper/

Regards,

Alan

Thank you Alan, these are helpful.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Back on topic again:

During the classic period of Chinese pen-making (prior to the "opening up"), the vast majority of pens were made as workaday tools, and pretty much all were lightweight. The heavy metal-bodied pen can be considered as a quite recent phenomenon - especially by newly established firms - to appeal to those who equate weight with quality.

Certainly there were different "tiers" of manufacturers and models back then, the most desirable might be one of the early Parkeresque pens whose design was known as "28" and made by several makers, Golden Star (aka Kinsin, or Jinxing) being the most respected; originally they were made out of celluloid (or perhaps ebonite) with button-filling mechanism, but later runs switched to injection molded thermoplastics and bulb-filler mechanism and that also resulted in a weight decrease too. Since Golden Star's closure, Hero acquired at least two sets of tools from them and theu have been re-introduced as Hero models.

The 28 and the slightly smaller 26 are just an example of what the Chinese have been making, and countless other makers and models can still be found as old stock. Ebay is of course a convenient place to make a start, but if you can handle it, Taobao might just be a treasure trove from which I have had brand new and scarce examples for as low as RMB2 each, which worked out as 30-something cents.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Here's a photo of the 28c. There is a review here https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/247348-beijing-jinxing-28-pic-heavy/

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1286413560_1/rare-Vintage-BEIJING-JINXING-28-Fountain-Pens-China-famous-brand-Office-School-Supplies-retro-black-Beautiful.jpg

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

If you like a large pen the Wing Sung 590 is nice. It does have a bladder that is very large and holds a lot of ink. It did smell when I received the pen but some dish soap solved that.

If you like a large pen the Wing Sung 590 is nice. It does have a bladder that is very large and holds a lot of ink. It did smell when I received the pen but some dish soap solved that.

I just bought a 590 and a few other Chinese pens to try. Is it normal for these pens to smell? I did wonder when purchasing these if they would be potentially toxic or unclean in some way just based on how unbelievably low priced they are.

I just bought a 590 and a few other Chinese pens to try. Is it normal for these pens to smell? I did wonder when purchasing these if they would be potentially toxic or unclean in some way just based on how unbelievably low priced they are.

I've purchases several. The odor vanishes with a washing. 'Toxicity? Well, I've not turned green or come down with a case of the pox.

While the Golden Star models are still quite available, the closure of the firm some years ago made them a non-renewable resource. The new production by Hero, probably using the original GS tools, is re-named 856, also came with standard or fude nibs, and Hero added a transparent ink window section to the design. I haven't got an example so I cannot tell if it's 28 or 26 based.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

I've read of several others reporting a smell. I guess it is breakdown of the sac. I hope it is not toxic but it is enclosed in the barrel most of the time.

While the Golden Star models are still quite available, the closure of the firm some years ago made them a non-renewable resource. The new production by Hero, probably using the original GS tools, is re-named 856, also came with standard or fude nibs, and Hero added a transparent ink window section to the design. I haven't got an example so I cannot tell if it's 28 or 26 based.

I just search ebay for Hero 856 fountain pen. None were found. Might they be selling it under another name?

some luoshi pens 28g-30 gr

I found your pen on ebay as Luoshi LS-593A. The L-581B is pretty close, with a gold colored top end. The description of size is incomprehensible. How long is yours, capped?

How do you like it?

Thank you,

Alan

PS In the course of searching for Luoshi, I discovered two Chinese brands that I'd not heard of:

Lanbitou - I ordered two different models

Yiren - All looked heavy

Edited by Precise

I found your pen on ebay as Luoshi LS-593A. The L-581B is pretty close, with a gold colored top end. The description of size is incomprehensible. How long is yours, capped?

How do you like it?

Thank you,

Alan

PS In the course of searching for Luoshi, I discovered two Chinese brands that I'd not heard of:

Lanbitou - I ordered two different models

Yiren - All looked heavy

capped 139mm // 28gr without converter // nib maybe 4.5mm

work really smooth and writes line .4mm // .25 backside nib // arrow clip

feel better than baoer

yes buy from bay seller hrongfdsb_5689 :

Authentic%LUOSHI senior bright black golden eagle process gift pen LS-593A

Edited by platon951