The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Organics Studio John Hancock Black

organics studio os black john hancock

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 white_lotus

white_lotus

Caution: Absinthe Distiller with Ink

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2015 - 16:08

Here is yet another of my reviews of the inks in my collection. This time yet another black. I know, I know, oh so boring. And this black is one that isn't readily available anymore, those I think there are some bottles at Anderson Pens. Perhaps there is another site or two that are still selling the last of these inks.

Anyway, the ink is the Organics Studio John Hancock black. Written on the usual papers I use, Mohawk via Linen, Hammermill 28lb inkjet, and Tomoe River.

The ink drops on a towel are quite interesting, and it's quite a strong black, blacker than Iro. take-sumi and OS Carbon. It was supposed to replicate or be like "vintage" inks, but who knows what that means. Vintage as in the 1920s or vintage as in the 1950s? My guess is it meant the use of simpler dyes and fewer additives making the ink safe for modern and vintage pens.

The real downside of this ink was it's slow drying time, exceeding 15 seconds to be completely dry. For me that wasn't a problem, but I'm sure it could be an issue for left-handed writers, and those who want to make up-page notations.

Considering all that, here are the photos.

fpn_1445529772__img_3650.jpg

fpn_1445529953__img_3677.jpg

fpn_1445529976__img_3648.jpg

An unusual mix of black, red-violet, and a neutral dark blue.

fpn_1445530002__img_3658.jpg

Not terribly water resistant.

fpn_1445530034__img_3660.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Gloucesterman

Gloucesterman

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• 2,327 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2015 - 22:50

I actually like it. It would be interesting to see a writing sample using a nice flexible nibbed vintage pen. perhaps a swirl or two ala copperplate, but not too swirlly!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#3 white_lotus

white_lotus

• 2,682 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2015 - 23:07

Oh, I'm not saying I didn't like it. Sorry if I gave that impression.

I don't have any flexible nibbed pens, vintage or not. But I don't think your request is unreasonable, just that I don't have those pens or fancy writing skills. Maybe we'll get lucky and someone here will have such a combination.

#4 GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,681 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 00:06

Darker than the Take -sumi? My current black ink is a fill of Take-sumi...but the review saying lube is "some" is discouraging. Good to know. Thank you!

Edited by GardenWeasel, 23 October 2015 - 00:07.

Posted Image

#5 white_lotus

white_lotus

• 2,682 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:50

Well I have to admit that "Lube/lubrication" has always been something of a mystery term for me. The OS inks certainly aren't as lubricating as the Noodler's Eel colors or the Sailor inks, but they do OK. I certainly didn't mean to imply it might be scratchy.

From my medium nibs, the John Hancock is definitely darker/blacker than Iro. take-sumi.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: organics studio, os, black, john hancock

Sponsored Content

|