The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Kwzi — #74 "orange" Iron Gall Ink

kwzi #74 iron gall orange green-gold green-brown

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jasonchickerson

jasonchickerson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:21

_FUJ0627-2.jpg

_FUJ0627.jpg

_FUJ0627-3.jpg

_FUJ0622_1.jpg

#74 with Zebra "G" nib on Original Crown Mill Pure Cotton paper

KWZI's #74 is a weird one for me. Rationally, it's a very fine ink with great behavior and a decent color. Yet I don't love it. I'll not likely miss my sample when it's gone, but I would recommend it to anyone looking for an ink in this color range. I prefer it hands down over #83 "Iron Gall Gold," which I'll try to review soon.

As far as iron gall inks go, this one doesn't seem to have a lot of color shift upon oxidation. It kind of just gets a bit darker.

I should point out that in the review above I describe Alt-goldgrün as "in this color range" when I meant "in this style," i.e. a complex dirty greenish gold.

As always, care was taken to ensure color accuracy, but that green-gold on the paper is hard to capture. On my screen, even after color correcting the image and tweaking the levels, etc., the ink is slightly greener in real life that on screen. Perhaps my screen does not reproduce this color well as all other inks in the comparison appear as they do on paper.

Edited by jasonchickerson, 22 October 2015 - 03:34.

Sponsored Content

#2 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:33

Not my kind of colour. I have IG Gold too, but it dries to a very dark colour, so not really what I'd prefer either.

#3 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2015 - 06:39

I like this one :)

#4 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2015 - 06:46

Ok.. now I know why Konrad keeps IG inks in dark amber glass, to avoid oxidation.  

My apologies Jason... I sent to you the inks on see thru plastic and that's why you are not getting the full effect of the Iron Gall.

Here is my video of IG Orange.  Starts as bright Orange.

I do love the end color, which is important when buying IG ink.. to love the end color.  ;)

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#5 MathurinKerbouchard

MathurinKerbouchard

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:32

So that's why it's called "orange." After a while it darkens up quite a bit but starts out as a very nice orange! Very cool ink! I like it so I might have to get me one. 

Thank you @jasonchickerson for the great review and thank you @Cyber6 for the vid showing further the qualities of the ink.

#6 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• 5,188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:51

Thank you. No need to persuade me though.  :)

It's there on my list, right underneath his "Grey Plum" and just above his "Blue Black" (the non IG version)

#7 jasonchickerson

jasonchickerson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2015 - 14:38

Ok.. now I know why Konrad keeps IG inks in dark amber glass, to avoid oxidation.  

My apologies Jason... I sent to you the inks on see thru plastic and that's why you are not getting the full effect of the Iron Gall.

Well, that is a difference! Haha.

The funny thing is, I have kept the samples in a closed drawer, so their exposure to light has been very limited.

Strangely, the Blue #6 (which is IG too, right?), is still very blue.

#8 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2015 - 15:11

The funny thing is, I have kept the samples in a closed drawer, so their exposure to light has been very limited.

Is the chemical composition.... Is very hard to make IG ink from much lighter colors... Mandarin, Orange... etc.  His first 2 or 3 IG Blues will get dark almost immediately.  It was a great achievement to have such a gorgeous IG BLue (like #6) to remain very blue even when it gets dark.    :wub:  :wub:

If you noticed, the few companies that make IG inks, are only making dark colors of IG inks.  Konrad's IG Mandarin and IG Orange are quite unique.    

C. 

**** BauerInks.ca ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#9 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2015 - 15:13

BTW... is not only  light exposure, is air exposure.    Keep your IG inks in dark glass and the lid close tight.   ;)

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kwzi, #74, iron gall, orange, green-gold, green-brown

Sponsored Content

|