Hello From Texas

Nightly

Greetings,

I just got into fountain pens in July. Frankly, I had been interested before but I just never realized it was so affordable, that there were good pens to be had for less than fifty bucks.

So far I have acquired the following:

Lamy Safari in school bus yellow, Medium & converter

Lamy Vista Medium & converter

Jinhao 159 in orange, Medium came with a converter

Jinhao X750 in Shimmering Sands, Medium came with a converter

Pilot Metropolitan in black, Medium & converter

Kaweco Sport in Mint, Medium

Noodler's Charlie

Noodler's Nib Creaper in Midas Pearl

I've also got 3 Goulet Ink Drops, a Goulet random sample and bottles:

Parker Quink Black

J Herbin Stormy Gray

Noodler's General of the Armies

Noodler's Heart of Darkness

Levenger Shiraz

So I came here because - OMG PENS! - and also the Classifieds section. I'm highly interested in trading pens and ink and getting to know other people.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nightly

• ThomasB

• notVirtuThe3rd

• northstar

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi! Welcome to FPN. :W2FPN:

I'm really glad you've joined us.

Enjoy!

Best wishes from Japan,

VirtuThe3rd

万年筆研究家 安達功太 [ Kota Adachi ]

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Greetings and welcome to FPN. Great to have you here with us. :thumbup:

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Hello! Thanks everyone!

Is there a place I can read about updating my avatar off the default image?

When I view "My Profile" and click "Change" on the default image, a new box pops up with two choices: Use a custom photo (there is no upload button though) and Import photo from URL. When I try and paste a URL there, I get a red message saying member_profile disabled.

Welcome !

The LAMY Safari is an excellent "daily-use" fountain pen. It comes in colors, as well as "clear".

The "clear" LAMY Safari is called "Vista" . They are otherwise identical. There are available six or eight different nibs, that snap into place easily. (about $13 each) Lots of fun with different lines of ink.

Both your Jinhao pens use the same cartridge and converter. (I like big, fat, heavy pens.)

You have a good range of selections. Which do you find most comfortable in hand ? Of the others, what would you change to affect improvements ?

Take time to enjoy your acquisitions. There is plenty of time to go broke. :lticaptd:

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Both your Jinhao pens use the same cartridge and converter. (I like big, fat, heavy pens.)

You have a good range of selections. Which do you find most comfortable in hand ? Of the others, what would you change to affect improvements ?

Take time to enjoy your acquisitions. There is plenty of time to go broke. :lticaptd:

I actually don't like either of the Jinhaos, because they are too heavy! :blush:

Weight wasn't something I was considering when I ordered these, but now I know to consider that.

I seem to prefer lighter pens. Of this beginning, I love the greens, am okay with orange, hate the reds.

Lamy Safari - Plastic

Lamy Vista - Plastic

Jinhao 159 - Metal

Jinhao X750 - Metal

Pilot Metropolitan - Metal

Kaweco Sport - Plastic

Noodler's Charlie - Plastic

Noodler's Nib Creaper in Midas Pearl - Plastic

These likes and dislikes tell me I prefer lighter pens.

The Jinhaos made my dislike list because I find them both awkward and heavy. At some point, I will give away or trade the Jinhaos. I've tried them both twice, and hated it both times. I really wanted to like the Shimmering Sands one, my inner teenage girl was screaming with joy at the sight of it, but no.

The Pilot Metropolitan was the first pen I got (followed immediately by the Lamy Safari in bus yellow) and I thought it was great, until I got the Lamy. It's just ranking OK with me now. I want to keep it though. It looks nice, and writes okay for me. I'd like to get a broader nib if that's possible, it's got a Medium which writes too thin for me. The Lamy Mediums are perfect.

The whole reason I ordered the Kaweco Sport in Mint was because it was plastic. I read my list of Wants and there it was waiting for me to buy it in its plastic goodness.

I hate it! Want to trade! The pen looks great, the nib is a nightmare! I almost got two Preppys, with plans to convert one to a dropper, but I got this Sport instead and I should've went with the Preppys.

Now the Noodlers. Both of them, I disliked when I got them. Both of them, I now love. I've seen videos of people heat setting their nibs, I haven't done that yet. But I love the pens. When I ordered the Heart of Darkness ink, I thought it'd come with a Preppy but I got the Charlie and once I saw the Noodler's video about it, I was so glad to own a Charlie. I filled it with boring old Heart of Darkness and can't wait to change colors. It really matters if you wash them out first. I didn't realize with Noodlers they need to be washed out before you use them.

Missed your post. Greetings from Victoria. If you are anywhere near Houston you owe it to yourself to go to Dromgoole's in Rice Village. Great people and lots of pens.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

Welcome aboard.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams