The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Triad Tri-pen

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JPA

JPA

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:43

Pens_Plus_003.jpg

Here's a Triad Tri-Pen fountain pen. I've had this pen in my collection for over a year.

I only have a brief understanding of the company's history. I understand the pens were made in Pawtucket, Rhode Island - indeed my pen is marked as such on the barrel. I believe the company existed for only a short period dating from around the late 1920s to, according to Andreas Lambrou, 1931. The unique quality about these pens was that they were triangular (i.e. three sided) - beating the Omas 360 by about 50 years smile.gif. However, unlike the Omas pen, the makers at Triad styled the ENTIRE barrel and cap in a triangular shape. This meant twisting the cap off was impossible. To circumvent this problem, they engineered the cap to have inner threads that moved when the top knob was turned. Once the threads were disengaged, the cap was slid up and off the barrel.

Interestingly, I suspect that the Triad pen company may have changed names towards the end of its existence - much like LeBoeuf re-emerged as the LeBoeuf Pilgrim Pen Co. I've seen a Triad pen marked on the barrel "Triangle Pen Co". The barrel has also been restyled towards the section so that the cap can twist off.

Triad made their pens in some amazing, unique colours. Which brings me to this pen...

This pen resembles the limited edition Mont Blanc Oscar Wilde. The colour speaks for itself.

AND HERE'S THE KICKER: When I opened up this pen, I noticed it had an original Triad stub nib. Honestly, how many of these exist!

Sponsored Content

#2 SAP

SAP

Rare pens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 13:54

Very very beautiful and rare pen!! Bravo!, amitiés Carlos

#3 AndreaDuni

AndreaDuni

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2007 - 14:35

Read this
<i><b><font size="4"><a href="http://www.duninet.com" target="_blank">Andrea Duni</a></font></b><br><font color="#696969">(ex Netnemo)</font></i><br><br><b>Join the FPN Groups on <a href="https://www.facebook...ainpennetwork/" target="_blank">Facebook</a> and <a href="http://www.linkedin....m/e/gis/799587" target="_blank">LinkedIn</a></b>

#4 jd50ae

jd50ae

http://www.chaeyahne.net

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2007 - 15:18

Oh wow, how, where did you......... wink.gif
You found it....
I'll PM you my address so you can return it to me.
So grateful I am.

#5 Roger W.

Roger W.

Irish Wolfhound

• Member - Gold

• 3,360 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 15:19

JPA;

Jerry Adair knows a lot about Triads. I've seen a couple of his and he says you find them mostly broken as people did not know how to take off the caps (I think I remember they made a few round pens too). I guess these are pretty rare creatures.

Roger W.

#6 Johnny Appleseed

Johnny Appleseed

Collector of Eclectic Knowledge

• Member - Gold

• 3,798 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 15:24

Very nice - a Triad is one of those "collector's" fountain pens - obscure but very desirable. Unfortunately, as I understand it they frequently are found with cracked caps due to the unusual cap opening method - people yank or twist until it cracks.

Here is a profile from David Nishimura - Triad

John
So if you have a lot of ink,
You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

#7 philm

philm

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2007 - 15:26

Thanks for posting this. There are so many of these companies that existed for a short period of time in the 20s and 30s. Any glimpse into who they were is always a pleasure.

The pen is a rare one for sure and in great shape. Any chance we can see a picture of the nib?

philm

#8 perstylo

perstylo

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:58

Great picture of a beautiful pen. Thank you for posting. I've only one other picture of a Triad--on Nishimura's site. I had no idea they came like this.

#9 JPA

JPA

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:59

QUOTE(philm @ Apr 17 2007, 03:26 PM) View Post
Thanks for posting this. There are so many of these companies that existed for a short period of time in the 20s and 30s. Any glimpse into who they were is always a pleasure.

The pen is a rare one for sure and in great shape. Any chance we can see a picture of the nib?

philm

Sure. Here are some more pictures.

Barry Apelbaum

Pens_Plus_008.1.jpg

Pens_Plus_004.1.jpg

Pens_Plus_006.1.jpg

#10 philm

philm

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2007 - 15:34

Thanks Barry,

The first thing I noticed is how small the section is. Great pictures of a unique pen.

philm

#11 PaulK

PaulK

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 13:59

Wow...once again, a truly beautiful pen. What makes the pen more desirable (as if it isn't already unbelievable) is the the nib: appears to be a fine stub!

Most concerning to me: I can easily have seen me, from complete ignorance, breaking this beautiful pen trying to remove the cap. I've learned something (thank you!) so if I happen to ever come across a balky cap, I'm sure I'd carefully unscrew, then give a very very(!) slight tug. However, before resorting to **more force** I would slow down and examine the pen: it may have a different uncapping process.

Learned something today too besides looking at the wonderful pictures. Thank you!

Paul

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 Jack125

Jack125

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 23:41

Custom Pen Maker Brad Torelli manufactures a modern day Triad. I recently got one made as a demonstrator from him that is absolutley gorgeous. Here is a photo of it from his web page (actually Gary Lehrer's page)

Jack

#13 perstylo

perstylo

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:16

Wow. That Torelli Triad is Tres Cool.

Sponsored Content

|