The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Nos Dip-Less

dip-less dipless esterbrook nos

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mob Mentality

Mob Mentality

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2015 - 18:41

Hello all. I recently purchased 2 NOS Esterbrook Dip-less pens. I have desk fountain pens but these are my first dip-less pens. I got the two pens for $27 with free S&H. I think I got a great deal but have no idea what dip-less pens go for in this condition. I already have several dip-less bases and plenty of nibs. I was originally planning on using them but considering their condition now I'm hesitant. Any thoughts? Enjoy the pictures!

EsterbrookDipless_01_zpsrbb1uejk.jpg

EsterbrookDipless_03_zpszwsn7heg.jpg

EsterbrookDipless_04_zps93pjohr1.jpg

Edited by Mob Mentality, 17 October 2015 - 19:46.

"Our chief want is someone who will inspire us to be what we know we could be."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sponsored Content

#2 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2015 - 22:06

If you feel hesitant about using the NOS pens, use your used ones and keep these tucked away.

Edited by ac12, 17 October 2015 - 22:06.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#3 Mob Mentality

Mob Mentality

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2015 - 22:17

Thanks ac12. I was also thinking I could use one and put the other away. Do you think what I paid was a fair price for the pens?

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#4 ISW_Kaputnik

ISW_Kaputnik

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:10

I would use them,  but I do understand other people wanting to keep NOS items forever pristine.  Leaving eventual resale out of the equation, the only right answer is the one you feel good about.

My four dipless pens all came to me used, all but one with usable nibs, so it's hard to compare directly, and I'm certainly no expert on the market for these.  I do know that when I was scouring eBay for one last one so that I'd have one for each base that I already had, I was having trouble finding one by itself for what seemed like a reasonable price.  I eventually did find one in green celluloid, but with the nib pretty much unusable ( and it took a lot of soaking before I could unscrew it), and a bunch of unrelated "regular" dip pen nibs thrown in.  That cost me $21.60 shipped.  I would have been quite happy with the bargain you found, and as I said, would have used the pens (or at least one of them, since that's all I needed).

Edited by ISW_Kaputnik, 18 October 2015 - 02:10.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do." - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Mob Mentality

Mob Mentality

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:40

Thanks ISW_Kaputnik I will most likely use only one of them. I have been looking for a while and saw tons of dipless pens listed for around $20 and up but not NOS in the box. I even remember seeing a "mint" condition pen listed for $39. When I saw these I figured it was a good deal. Now the search begins for actual Esterbrook dipless nibs that say dipless on them. I know you can use renew point nibs but I'd like to find the dipless nibs with the appropriate feed and collar original to the earlier versions of these pens.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#6 PaperQueen

PaperQueen

Hand over the chocolate and no one gets hurt

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2015 - 23:51

I have been looking for a while and saw tons of dipless pens listed for around $20 and up but not NOS in the box. I even remember seeing a "mint" condition pen listed for $39. When I saw these I figured it was a good deal. 

Curiosity is killing me...where'd you find them? 

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...???  : : : sigh : : : 

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

#7 Mob Mentality

Mob Mentality

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2015 - 23:52

Sorry for the delay PaperQueen. I found them on ebay.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dip-less, dipless, esterbrook, nos

Sponsored Content

|