Browns, From Amber To Sand To Red

Amberjack

In honor of the season, where here in the high country the leaves have turned from briliant yellow to brown and now lie quietly on the forest floor awaiting the first blanket of snow, here's a quick comparison of several of the brown category inks in my desk and of interest to me. I hope this is of some value to some of you.

Lineup

J. Herbin Lie de The

De Atrementis Khaki

Diamine Terracotta

Pelikan Edelstein Amber

Parker Penman Mocha

Noodler's Beaver

Waterman Havana

Paper is of the 'cheap copier' type. I used the same pen on each sample, dipped only and then thoroughly flushed after writing.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/Jack_Breeding/scana_zps5nyakxvm.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/Jack_Breeding/scanb_zps7vgtkide.jpg

Notes

I started this test looking for an ink with a vintage sepia tone. None of these are exact matches for what I want but I think DA Khaki is worth an extended trial so I'll be ordering a bottle. I was surprised at the initial similiarity of Beaver and Havana but as the ink dried the reddish tone of the Noodler's started to appear. Loved the Edelstein Amber both wet and after drying. One of my favorite colors. Overall, these are fun inks to write with but perhaps that's a reflection of personality rather than ink quality and characteristics.

The real winner in this test however is my U.K. Duofold. I picked it up a year or so ago knowing it needed work. It still does. But having a chance to write and draw with it really endeared it to me so it has moved to the top of the queue for restoration. Wonderful buttery soft broad nib with excellent flex. I was originally going to have the nib ground to an italic but I don't think I'll change it at all.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/Jack_Breeding/3a270baa-5282-4ee8-b7b1-39fad2f7f201_zpsc5ic4wdi.jpg

I have the remainder of the Terracotta and Lie de The' samples, perhaps 1ml in each bottle if anyone else would like to try them. Just send me a PM.

Jack

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alexander_k

• Amberjack

• Orpilorp

• pkotrcka

Thanks very much. I also have been trying to decide on seasonal brown inks. I was leaning towards the J Herbin, and now after reading & seeing your review I am definitely buying a bottle. Thanks again.

Thank you for this review of some of my favourite inks. The season is surely calling for the likes of these and each is just enough different to support a bottle of EACH!

First, your wonderful Duofold already shows good line variation. I wouldn't have it reground. Congratulations on a great pen!

Another "antique" sepia is the R&K. There is argument about whether the Herbin Cacao du Brésil has changed formulations, but it's another candidate for a non-red brown. I do have a large bottle of the Lie de Thé and like it very much.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to have Waterman Brown, but I didn't like the reddish tones. Now it just sits in my cabinet collecting dust. Lie de The on the other hand is incredible.

• 1 month later...

In the sepia neighborhood, I like R&K Sepia and J. Herbin Cacao du Bresil. They both perform perfectly. They are similar in color, with the Sepia being a bit darker and perhaps with a dash of dark green, and the C du B being a very nice straightforward color. Both highly recommended.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks for the review. For the moment I'm sticking with Diamine Ochre and R&K Sepia (which have replaced ao Diamine Macassar and Chocolate Brown) but your comparison shows a couple more options.

Edited by alexander_k