Eboya Kyouka, Medium-Size, Ink Shut-Off Filling System

rpsyed

The Eboya arrived today! Here's some quick pictures; I'll do a full review after a few weeks of use.

Eboya Kyouka with some popular pens

http://i.imgur.com/4snnu6i.jpg

Eboya medium-size nib and Lamy Safari nib
http://i.imgur.com/xbMFKnB.jpg

Eboya logo machine engraved into the barrel
http://i.imgur.com/cdxEGwJ.jpg

Eboya ebonite feed, which I assume is made in-house. It looks really cool!
http://i.imgur.com/GbeW1qE.jpg

Eboya nib/section and ink-stop mechanism.
http://i.imgur.com/St1cu50.jpg

I've filled it up with Sailor Miruai. It takes over 3ml of ink. Nibs.com lists 4ml as being the capacity, which is probably right. I didn't fill it all the way. I ordered it with a medium nib, and asked Mottishaw to tune it for generous ink flow. It's very smooth! Really light pen, too, and comfortable in the hand. For those looking for a Japanese eyedropper that isn't the size of a Mikado/Genkai or Namiki Emperor, I think Eboya is a great option.

Edited by rpsyed

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rpsyed

• hari317

• da vinci

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you got the update. I think the feed looks great, with a vintage flair. I look forward to the full review.

BTW, Danitrio has the Densho model eye dropper with the smaller size and #6 nib.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thank you got the update. I think the feed looks great, with a vintage flair. I look forward to the full review.

BTW, Danitrio has the Densho model eye dropper with the smaller size and #6 nib.

Ooh, yeah, you're right. I forgot about that one. All Eboya pen models come in a few different sizes and some of them are pretty small, so there's more variety in size. The Eboya ink-stop system is interesting. The sealing cone feels like Delrin and, unlike the Danitrio system that's entirely in the barrel, when you unscrew the section the sealing rod/cone sticks out a ton from the barrel.

Totally agreed on the feeds. It looks like the feeds on the Ban-ei pens from pictures I've seen.

Beautiful pen. I definitely like that it isn't HUGE. The knurling is interesting...it almost looks like threading based on the location.

Wow the eyedropper is a $300 premium...that's rough.

It does look like threading! As far as I know though, there's no function for them; it's all aesthetic.

Agreed =/ Though, it's still the cheapest Japanese eyedropper available, now that Danitrio has ceased production of the raw ebonite and kuro-keshi models. I think the small-size Houga (a sort-of cigar looking pen) is available with the eyedropper system for $450 - that's the cheapest I've seen for an eyedropper Eboya.

The pen feels really well-made, high-quality, and definitely built to last.

Edited by rpsyed

Thanks for the pictures of this pen. It is very interesting - is the nib made in house?

I do like the size - very practical.

You're welcome! Definitely a good size for a daily user. Raw ebonite is a great material for a daily carry pen too - strong, great tactile feel, and no precious lacquer work to worry about messing up.

The nib, as Algester said, is made by Bock. I have no complaints about the writing qualities of the nib but I do wish they would have bought blank Bock nibs and engraved Eboya or a logo on it. The nibs they currently use, just have the Bock logo on it. They have machine engraved the pen barrel, so I think it would be easy to use the same thing to engrave the nibs. Or they could even have them laser-engraved, like many smaller custom pen makers. The craftsman who makes the pens does tune the nibs though. I assume Mottishaw also tunes the ones that are sold through CFP.

Looks nice, thanks for sharing. Requesting a pic showing the shutoff knob opened for writing?

It's past midnight here but I took a couple quick photos just now.

This is how far I open it while writing.

http://i.imgur.com/qojA9Xq.jpg

This is another picture I took to more clearly show the shut-off knob as I thought the seam might be mistaken for knurling. It doesn't need to be open this far though.

http://i.imgur.com/5cRFPp2.jpg

Edited by rpsyed

You're welcome! Definitely a good size for a daily user. Raw ebonite is a great material for a daily carry pen too - strong, great tactile feel, and no precious lacquer work to worry about messing up.

The nib, as Algester said, is made by Bock. I have no complaints about the writing qualities of the nib but I do wish they would have bought blank Bock nibs and engraved Eboya or a logo on it. The nibs they currently use, just have the Bock logo on it. They have machine engraved the pen barrel, so I think it would be easy to use the same thing to engrave the nibs. Or they could even have them laser-engraved, like many smaller custom pen makers. The craftsman who makes the pens does tune the nibs though. I assume Mottishaw also tunes the ones that are sold through CFP.

Thanks again.

Absolutely agree with your thoughts regarding the presentation of the nib.

anyone knows if the C/C version gets the same ebonite feeder as the ED version? I guess the C/C version gets the standard bock feeder.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

wonderful, thanks much!

You're welcome!

Thanks again.

Absolutely agree with your thoughts regarding the presentation of the nib.

You're welcome!

I hope they'll look into it as they get bigger. But it's definitely not a deal-breaker for me.

As for whether the c/c pens get the ebonite feeds, every picture of a feed on the Eboya website shows ebonite feeds but it's possible that those are all ED or button-fillers, since some of the different pen photo galleries don't show the feed. CFP could answer that for sure. I think that the c/c pens do have ebonite feeds as well though.

Edited by rpsyed

Gorgeous pen, and finished differently than I was expecting (the polishing seems much finer, and the finish deeper). Can I ask: which size is this?

Too many pens; too little writing.

Gorgeous pen, and finished differently than I was expecting (the polishing seems much finer, and the finish deeper). Can I ask: which size is this?

This is the medium-size Kyouka. Good size, light weight and comfortable in the hand. I was worried that the large size might be too big but I think I probably could have handled it, since the section tapers quite a bit. The polishing is definitely very well done. The pen is made to really high tolerances with no play on any of the threaded parts - everything fits together perfectly. The knurling around the blind cap has the added benefit of making the seam invisible when the shut-off valve is screwed on.

I think this might become my daily carry with it's raw ebonite, huge capacity, and shut-off valve to eliminate leaks.

I am thinking about getting another Eboya soon. I want a #8-size Bock 380 nib since those are just fantastic writing nibs and they look great. If it's 14k like the other Eboya nibs, I bet Mottishaw could do an awesome flex mod on it because of the length of the tines. Only the large size Hakobune pens and the large size Houga can be special ordered with the #8-size nib. Normally, all large size Eboya models have Bock 250 (#6) nibs. Only the Houga and Hakobune are big enough in the large sizes to accommodate a #8-size nib.

The Hakobune, which would be my choice if I order another Eboya.

http://img14.shop-pro.jp/PA01081/117/etc/hakobune-3hon.jpg?20140223114147

The Houga

http://img14.shop-pro.jp/PA01081/117/etc/houga-3hon_03_DSC87071.jpg?20140918041827

http://img14.shop-pro.jp/PA01081/117/etc/houga-3hon_05_DSC87101.jpg?20140918041843\

The small size Houga seems to be the most affordable way to get a brand-new Japanese eyedropper currently.

Before I purchase another Eboya, I just might need a Hakase though. I have read the reviews of your rosewood pen and water buffalo horn pen numerous times and anxiously await the review of your urushi-coated burl pen!

By the way, Mongrelnomad, the pictures of the barrel-end cabochon on your Nervion inspired me to want to order the same thing on my second Romillo I have on order: an Essential #9 in solid blue ebonite, with gold lentil roll-stop and gold barrel-end logo cabochon. Unfortunately, the solid red celluloid material, which was my first choice, has been exhausted by Romillo Pens.

Edited by rpsyed

Beautiful Pen. :puddle:

I don't know enough about Japanese eye droppers. I do hope you will bring your Eboya to the up-coming Pen Posse and enlighten us all. I will try to make sure my drool shunt off valve is working for the occasion.

David

Stunning pen. Thank you for sharing all the details with us.

And the other models, too. Their ebonites are wonderfully beautiful.

How affordable is the small size Houga?

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

Beautiful Pen. :puddle:

I don't know enough about Japanese eye droppers. I do hope you will bring your Eboya to the up-coming Pen Posse and enlighten us all. I will try to make sure my drool shunt off valve is working for the occasion.

David

Thank you! The Eboya will definitely be tagging along for November's Pen Posse =] A new Shawn Newton pen may make an appearance too :)

Stunning pen. Thank you for sharing all the details with us.

And the other models, too. Their ebonites are wonderfully beautiful.

How affordable is the small size Houga?

You're welcome! The Eboya ebonite is very high-quality and the pens are beautifully crafted.

The small Houga is $309 in a C/C filling system and $449 with the ink shut-off (Japanese eyedropper) filling system. Not a cheap pen by any means, but less than new Japanese eyedropper pens are typically available for.