Do I Need More Diamine Ink? - Yes! Which Ones?

asnailmailer

I would like to buy at least one bottle of Diamine Shimmertastic ink but am also looking to get some more standard inks too. Which inks would best fill in the gaps in my current collection?

Grey, Merlot, Scarlet, Poppy Red, Oxblood, Dark Brown, Ancient Copper, Macassar, Rustic Brown, Grape, Amaranth, Salamander, Ultra Green, Kelly Green, Delamere Green, Imperial Purple, Blaze Orange, Teal, Steel Blue, Sunshine Yellow, Mediterranean Blue, Twilight, Havasu Turquoise, Bougainvillea (free sample), Prussian Blue (free sample).

Edited by aworldofsnailmail

!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• asnailmailer

• amberleadavis

• Hallel

• AlanO

Asa Blue. One of my favorites.

Bilberry is on my list to purchase and would be a nice addition for your collection.

~Brian

"Mostly I just kill time, and it dies hard." - Raymond Chandler (The Long Goodbye)

What colour families are you interested in? Diamine has some really fantastic blues and you doesn't seem to have many on your list. Majestic Blue, Asa Blue, Sargasso and Bilberry are must-tries. I also like Midnight, Misty Blue and 150th Blue Velvet.

150th Regency is a gorgeous Blue-Black. Eclipse is a near-black purple that can give a slight golden sheen on coated paper.

Matador, Red Dragon, Syrah, Peach Haze and Wild Strawberry are all ones I would recommend in the Red family. You've already got Oxblood and Ancient Copper which are also excellent choices.

I'm not a huge orange/brown/grey/green fan, but I have tried samples of Apple Glory and Meadow and liked them both. Also, Autumn Oak has gorgeous shading.

Diamine is one of my favorite ink brands if you couldn't tell. :D I hope that helps.

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

I've seen Bilberry in letters - looks a lovely shade. I'm not really a fan of "standard" blues - they don't seem exciting. The first blue bought was the Mediterranean blue (and also Steel blue in the same order). I want inks for writing correspondence! Whatever looks nice ! although that is very subjective. One letter I wrote was to someone who doesn't like green ink (found out afterwards) but she did like the Ultra Green I used. My letters can be quite colourful.

As for sparkly ink, thinking of Night Sky or Blue Pearl or maybe Magical Forest.

I love Diamine too. Especially after having to put up with Quink - only had Parker pens until the last year or so (other than cheap "cartridge" pens in my teenage years and an attempt with Osmiroid calligraphy set...) I I think this could be my fifth order (first had cartridge sampler pack freebie, then half a dozen cartridges, 2 x free sample bottles).

!

Terra Cotta (from the Anniversary collection). Denim, Eclipse, Emerald, Tyrian Purple, and Classic Red from their regular line. I like the color of Damson, but it's a fairly dry ink.

But if you're only looking to get one or two, go for Terra Cotta and Tyrian Purple. The colors are really unusual, and both of those inks have this odd quality to them -- it's not quite sheen so much as sort of an outline edge to them. The only other ink I've ever seen do that is vintage Skrip Peacock.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Terra Cotta (from the Anniversary collection). Denim, Eclipse, Emerald, Tyrian Purple, and Classic Red from their regular line. I like the color of Damson, but it's a fairly dry ink.

But if you're only looking to get one or two, go for Terra Cotta and Tyrian Purple. The colors are really unusual, and both of those inks have this odd quality to them -- it's not quite sheen so much as sort of an outline edge to them. The only other ink I've ever seen do that is vintage Skrip Peacock.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

The terracotta is lovely, but if you've already got ancient copper, you might find them to be too similar. If you are looking for variety of colour. Maybe fill up your orange gaps with Blaze Orange, Pumpkin or Maybe something wild like Hope Pink?

Really you can't go wrong with any colours if you are just aiming for obtaining a spectrum of colour. Let us know what you eventually choose.

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

Every man, woman, and child needs more Diamine ink. Always.

I recommend Eau de Nil, Saddle Brown and Umber.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Looking at what you have, and considering that you're not a big fan of 'standard' blues, I'll add another vote for Bilberry.

Alan

Edited by AlanO

If you like subtle but deep colors, Midnight and Eclipse are worth a look (dark blue and purple respectively). Also Monaco Red might fill a small gap in your collection. It's not as bright or light as Poppy or as alarming as Oxblood, rather a reserved and dignified red (as befits an ink made for royalty), but definitely red.

Mediterranean Blue is one of the best behaved and prettiest colors in the Diamine line. Clearly one of my favorites!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

First you should take a look at this great work of art --- all the Diamine Inks compared:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/250366-all-diamine-inks-compared/

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Midnight and Majestic Blue are my favorites.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I only have four Diamine inks at present, but all are great:

Sherwood Green - a dark enough to be professional looking green

Steel Blue - you have and so know what it is about

Classic Red - a great "true" red. Doesn't lean orange or pink.....

Blue Black - always a good professional color that can work across a lot of uses

I probably need to fill in some holes myself to get some blues or other interesting colors - of which Diamine has many.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Now, Cybaea's collection is more impressive, since he has EVERY Diamine ink. I admit, I'm enjoying the Shimmertastic inks.

I really like the super saturated hard to clean inks - Sargasso Sea, Bilberry - I don't own Saddle Brown. I should own Saddle Brown because it was a terrific and easy to use ink. No fuss, always started right up and cleaned out easily. I just don't use brown inks.

http://sheismylawyer.com/album/Cabinets/20151017_163148.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

It was Diamine that freed me from decades shackled to Quink; my father used Quink because it was the best and I never questioned his wisdom. It is also Diamine who are responsible for the fact that I now seem to have 81 different inks, 58 from Diamine - no wonder they can afford to take two years developing their Shimmertastic range!

Many of mine are the little 30ml bottles which do seem remarkable value. My preference is for inks which are blue or sort of blueish, so I am not likely to suggest greens or browns (although Ancient Copper is wonderful) but, to the OP's list I would add:

Misty Blue, Regency Blue, Eau de Nil (well down my second 80ml of that one), Damson and either Asa Blue or Blue Velvet.

As an aside - it seems incredible that with a range of what must be 120+ colours now, there are still gaps which other makers fill. Admittedly more ordinary people probably cannot see the differences but that is only because they don't look properly!

Another vote for Majestic Blue. It's the ink that made me reconsider my disinterest in blue inks, and I always recommend it :wub: