The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Looking For "professional" Inks

ink black fountain pen bottle limited professional signature montblanc sailor pelikan

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,146 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2015 - 22:39

Another one to look at is Noodler's El Lawrence.  It's a weird color (descriptions of it as looking like used motor oil are pretty accurate).  But it's dark enough to pass for black without actually being black (more of a dark grayish brown), and it's pretty permanent and water resistant.  It's one of the inks I wouldn't hesitate using for signing checks (Noodler's 54th Massachusetts and Noodler's Kung te Cheng being others, but El Lawrence is better behaved than KTC (which is one of my favorite inks but it does get cloggy).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sponsored Content

#22 AndyYNWA

AndyYNWA

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:36

Kobe #23 Nagata Blue (blue-black with nice shading)
Noodler's Zhivago (black with a hint of green in some shades)
Diamine Regency Blue (very dark blue with a purple undertone)

I used Sailor Oku-Yama at work, no one commented on it, but I got quite many strange looks. Think I will be using it as a highlighter.

Usually I try to use blues, blueish teals or blueish purples in my daily work.
I usually have one pen with "normal" ink and one pen with waterproof ink inked up all the time. Right now I have Sailor Sky High in one pen and Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher in another.

YNWA     JFT96

Instagram: inkyandy

#23 Mastiff

Mastiff

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:48

If you are looking for a 'professional' ink you might want to consider the ink properties. For example if you are in the medical/legal setting you might be required to use bulletproof/permanent inks.

Otherwise, I used to have a narrow mind about the ink colour in a professional setting, ie gotta be blue, or black or blue/black, but now I think whatever I feel like, within reason (ie not pink or bright green!)

#24 AndyYNWA

AndyYNWA

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:03

If you are looking for a 'professional' ink you might want to consider the ink properties. For example if you are in the medical/legal setting you might be required to use bulletproof/permanent inks.

Otherwise, I used to have a narrow mind about the ink colour in a professional setting, ie gotta be blue, or black or blue/black, but now I think whatever I feel like, within reason (ie not pink or bright green!)

+1

For my own notes I use any colour I want (even though I still lean towards the blue spectrum). But for signatures I still use blue/blue-black/black, you can never be sure about what rules and regulations the recipient have to follow.

YNWA     JFT96

Instagram: inkyandy

#25 fplover01

fplover01

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2015 - 16:04

For me good old Pelikan black and blue/black as well as Lamy black work just fine. serious, professional, cheap, easy to clean (flushing a pen all the time is not my thing). I want to take a look at R&K Scabiosa but I havent got to ordering a bottle yet.

#26 hbdk

hbdk

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2015 - 16:40

Take a look at the Deep Dark inks:

http://www.cultpens....in-pen-ink-80ml

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

#27 Xozzen

Xozzen

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2015 - 20:51

Actually I am studying dentistry and will be working on patients soon, so maybe I will have to look more deeply into the ink properties.

Thanks for everyone's help and keep'em coming!

#28 cjr

cjr

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2015 - 00:01

Noodler's Air Corps Blue Black is fairly permanent and has a hint of green when you take a close look. I use it in an Edison Collier Extra Fine for business.
Favorite pen/ink pairings: Sheaffer Legacy w/18k extra fine inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Sheaffer PFM III fine w/14k inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Franklin Christoph 65 Stablis w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and DeAtramentis Document Blue; Pineider Avatar w/fine nib and Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher; Karas Kustoms Fountain K w/steel extra fine nib and Platinum Pigment Blue; Pilot Decimo w/18k fine nib and Noodles's Black; Franklin Christoph 45 w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and Noodler's Zhivago; Pilot Explorer w/medium nib and Noodler's El Lawrence; TWSBI ECO EF with Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

#29 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:43

Private Reserve Ebony Purple- looks like black on first glance then you notice it's a little bit unusual and beautiful.

Sailor Jentle Miruai. Pure stealth.

I love these kinds of Stealth inks - they look black, and then you look again and see some color.

The other PR Ebony inks are good choices, PR Ebony Green is another fun ink.  

I also like Ink of the Witch and Sankodo Nishikisan (which is hard to find).  

I hope that helps.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#30 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:44

2015-10-17-19-00-04.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#31 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:52

Oh and I think Nooder's Midnight Blue is terrific.  4B is a favorite of mine - but it's definitely not black.  

2014-Ink_687.jpg

#32 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2015 - 13:19

Our very own FPN van Gogh Starry Night Blue is a good stealth ink.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#33 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2015 - 19:58

Our very own FPN van Gogh Starry Night Blue is a good stealth ink.

Good suggestion. Here is a terrible scan.

2014-Ink_160.jpg

#34 RMH

RMH

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2015 - 00:36

My two which I use at work: Noodlers Zhivago and Private Reserve Ebony Purple. Both very dark with a hint of color- the PR more saturated however...

#35 ink-syringe

ink-syringe

foo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:44

Manhattan Blue looks so nice. I wish I could get my paws on that.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

#36 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:31

Good suggestion. Here is a terrible scan.

2014-Ink_160.jpg

I find Starry Night to be a bit darker than this, although there is just a hint of the green that you see in this scan.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#37 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 October 2015 - 20:53

Manhattan Blue looks so nice. I wish I could get my paws on that.

It's one of my favorites.  You can order it from here and they will ship overseas.

http://www.fountainp...urer.asp?MFG=35

#38 Barkingpig

Barkingpig

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:54

It's one of my favorites.  You can order it from here and they will ship overseas.

AND they were also happy to ship it domestically when I just  (moments ago) ordered it along with their other "exclusives" Subway Sepia & Ellis Island Blue Black!

"If it is "one of MY favorite Inky Goddess's favorites" then why wouldn't I NEED it?

I added the others because I didn't want a "nice New York City inspired" ink to suffer culture shock by traveling to the "hinterlands" ALONE when it could "bring two of it's little friends"along!

Thanks for suggesting it!  MORE ink is ALWAYS  good.

#39 ink-syringe

ink-syringe

foo

• Member - Gold

• 1,716 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:34

yeah that is my hometown local and I visit it when I am back to see my family but I failed to remember to pick up a bottle last time and I have been out for more than 2 years now. I guess around that time I was expanding into sailor inks that were being discontinued and trying out half the Iroshizuku line (disappointing all but 2 inks)... 

I know they ship. I still have a $10 coupon from them too (I bought a pen) but shipping is likely prohibitive. I'll score a bottle when I next go home I guess.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

#40 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2015 - 17:31

AND they were also happy to ship it domestically when I just  (moments ago) ordered it along with their other "exclusives" Subway Sepia & Ellis Island Blue Black!

"If it is "one of MY favorite Inky Goddess's favorites" then why wouldn't I NEED it?

I added the others because I didn't want a "nice New York City inspired" ink to suffer culture shock by traveling to the "hinterlands" ALONE when it could "bring two of it's little friends"along!

Thanks for suggesting it!  MORE ink is ALWAYS  good.

:wub:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink, black, fountain pen, bottle, limited, professional, signature, montblanc, sailor, pelikan

Sponsored Content

|