Delta Dolcevita "federico" On Ebay

ChrisPaul

I have three DV Federicos with Fusion nibs: EF, F, and M. The M is about equal in line width to my Omas F's. That suits me. These DV's are just wonderful. Not only do they write sweetly, but the size and weight feels good to my hand. However when I venture away from home, I like a smaller lighter pen to carry.

Alan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aysedasi

• Precise

• Contax1961

• gwgtaylor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The post office just delivered one a few minutes ago. It is one of the red orange combinations,in the stantuffo piston fill, with a 14k nib. I was the only bidder on this one so got it for 125 + rather expensive 23 shipping. Other than the stainless lazer engraved ring on the cap, the metal band on the cap covering the piston knob is thinner than the standard models. The clip looks to me to be the same as their standard model also. I do not see anything cheaply made on this pen. The quality appears to be the same, it just lacks some of the more expensive material on the others.

Regards

Jeff

Just posted this on a different thread, but it seems more appropriate here. This sheet came with my Dolcevita Federico OS explaining this line.

post-128592-0-07619000-1460474062_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have bought a couple of these pens, in orange and blue, with Fusion nibs in Medium and Fine. The pens are really pretty and the general quality is very good. The trim details her mentiones are hardly noticeable. What I have experienced is that the nibs are on the wet side and there are almost no difference in the width they write. But they are right worth the prize-quality-look.

• 3 weeks later...

based on @dkc posted photo

correct me if i am wrong but the federico Oversize version is still same like the normal DV OS whereby you can either use the converter or eyedropper right ? or it is special whereby you have 3 filling options ... the converter/cartridge, as an eyedropper, and as a piston filler ?

thinking of pulling the trigger if it has the 3 filling options version as i don't need the silver sterling mambo jumbo stuffs.

Crystal Clear Demonstrators are such marvels, each with their set of stories clearly written out for all to feast on.

based on @dkc posted photo

correct me if i am wrong but the federico Oversize version is still same like the normal DV OS whereby you can either use the converter or eyedropper right ? or it is special whereby you have 3 filling options ... the converter/cartridge, as an eyedropper, and as a piston filler ?

thinking of pulling the trigger if it has the 3 filling options version as i don't need the silver sterling mambo jumbo stuffs.

The Federico Oversize cannot be used as eyedropper.

You can find some good photos comparing the Federico and the non Federico OS at

http://tortugavacumatica.blogspot.com.es/

That is a fantastic link rafapa, it sure helps a lot. Thank you very much you save me tons of hours of research.

So federico version lost the ability to eyedrop (though you still can by putting 2 O-ring at front and back and lube with a little sili at threads) but has a dummy like piston filler which in any case does anyone know how much more ink capacity does it has compared to the normal delta converter ?

the photo in link doesn't tell much sadly.

Crystal Clear Demonstrators are such marvels, each with their set of stories clearly written out for all to feast on.

The Federico Oversize cannot be used as eyedropper.

You can find some good photos comparing the Federico and the non Federico OS at

http://tortugavacumatica.blogspot.com.es/

Very useful, thank you.

The only thing about Marte Modena is that their postage prices seem to have gone through the roof - it's not unusual to see them charging Eur.50 postage when they sell via eBay. I note that postage from eBay seller in Italy tends to be high generally, but this is quite egregious. Has anyone an explanation?

On a related note, I found it interesting to see the difference in line width between the two Fine nibs in the comparison of the New Gallery and the Federico (scroll down the page to the subsequent post).

It's hard to guess exactly what is going on with Delta and Marte Modena. I won an auction for a "Federico Media" a few months ago and received a wonderful pen. So nice that I bid on and won another. The first one shared the same construction as other Delta's I've seen, and the older "Gallery" I own: clearly hand-turned out of thick resin, with nice threading on the mated parts. The second one, although it's the same dimensions, joins with glued-in plated brass (I think) inserts. The pen still looks good, and some people might prefer the slight increase in heft, but I wonder if the less demanding construction technique indicates a strategy of increasing production of lower-priced pens, or simply trying to use up old material stock? I suppose we'll know more about the future of Delta by the end of the summer.

To address Stephanos' question about shipping: MM used DHL, which isn't cheap, but I assume that the price increase from $20 to $40 to now US $50 to the States is either to provide a little "insurance" against very low winning bids, or simply to make sure MM's handling costs are covered.

Edited by DustyR

I almost prefer the less flashy look of this pen

As opposed to my oversized Oro DV Delta.

Y'all can call it the Bowling Ball.

• 4 weeks later...

Oops. Not sure what happened there. According to the Delta literature photographed a few posts above, you can indeed eyedropper fill the Delta Federico Overdize pens.

Although that literature pic I shot indicates the Federico OS can be eyedroppered, I would advise against it. There's metal inside the barrel and it has a blind cap so that only the converter's knob can be exposed. I think Delta calls it a 'Converter Plus'. Sounds like more marketing speak like the 'Fusion' nibs. Marketing aside, I still love my Deltas.

Also, normal Dolcevita OS have no metal on the inside so eyedroppering is OK there.

My two delta OS both have metal inside the barrel but the rubber gasket stops ink from going there. Is there a gasket inside the blind cap? I guess I'll find out when I get my Federico OS. :-)

Although that literature pic I shot indicates the Federico OS can be eyedroppered, I would advise against it. There's metal inside the barrel and it has a blind cap so that only the converter's knob can be exposed. I think Delta calls it a 'Converter Plus'. Sounds like more marketing speak like the 'Fusion' nibs. Marketing aside, I still love my Deltas.

Also, normal Dolcevita OS have no metal on the inside so eyedroppering is OK there

I have one of these Federico things, and, in terms of simple physics, it can be used as an "eyedropper". One woudl have to totallly shut off things at the blind-cap end, e.g. using super-glue or something else (e.g. silocone grease with serious tightening). One would also have to be careful about the long-term corrosive effects of some inks on the brass or whatever it is. Overall, no matter what, it just seems like very ugly business.

• 1 month later...

I've just bought my second Federico, a red and orange, but I bought it direct from Marte Modena, saving about half the shipping costs advertised on eBay. (And I received a full size bottle of Delta ink too). I ordered it on the Saturday and received it in the UK from Italy by DHL on the Wednesday. It's not got the Fusion nib as I ordered an OBB, but the pen is just sooo beautiful. My first, a broad Fusion nibbed black and gold writes for me as a medium, so as I fancied an oblique I went for the larger OBB. It writes superbly, although it is a tad too big for everyday writing - although I'm managing! ;) I have little doubt that I'll be buying more. I'd like to complete the set of the orange barreled pens. For me, these are the best pens you can buy for the money - period. I can contrast it with the Monteverde Invincia Limited Edition I bought a week or two before for around about the same price. I really dislike the cheap feel (and rubbish nib) of the Monteverde. The Federico is in a completely different class and the service from Marte Modena is superb. :)

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Has anyone tried the steel OM nib on a Federico? I'd be very interested to hear how that performs.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

The OBB steel is as smooth as butter, but just a fraction too large for everyday use. Next up for me is the blue and orange with an OB. OM is a bit too thin for me....

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Delta's steel nib should be AT LEAST as good as their Fusion one, since the latter is essentially a steel nib with a fancy gold piece glued on to it. And Delta's Fusion nibs that I own are among the best in the business as far as steel nibs go.

Shahrin

Thank you both, but I was wondering more whether the oblique steel Delta nibs were as easy to use as Pelikans, and do they give any line variation? (I know that isn't their purpose, but sometimes you get lucky ... :) )

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)