The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Another Parker Sonnet Review

parker sonnet

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 s_t_e_v_e

s_t_e_v_e

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2015 - 23:58

I wrote up this review for one of the oldest (in the order of when I bought it) pens in my collection. I think this review was long due. Hope you enjoy it!

Apologies for my messy handwriting.

2hf2hiv.jpg

1zz2nvk.jpg

2ui7i89.jpg

The Pen itself:

726fr7.jpg

2lus0av.jpg

2coj42u.jpg

Steve

Sponsored Content

#2 J85909266

J85909266

Fountain Blade

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:07

The Sonnet gets a lot of hate for some spotty QC, at times. I think it may also be a bit of bitterness against the brand for what it used to be compared to now.

I have one of the early 90s models in indigo blue lacquer with a very soft, 18k nib. It's a perfect pen. I can find no fault. The design is just genius. Perfect simplicity. I will own a sterling cisele model some day. 

Thanks for the review.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

#3 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,834 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:36

I have a matte black pen like the one reviewed.  I also have a couple of dozen other Sonnets with gold or steel nibs in extra fine, fine, medium, broad, right oblique, left oblique, medium italic, broad italic, and they are all nice writers.  Finishes are nice.  The best ones are pretty flawless in writing, starting, not drying out.  Wider nibs seem usually best at not drying out.  I do like the various colors.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#4 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,269 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2015 - 07:34

I have a matte black pen like the one reviewed.  I also have a couple of dozen other Sonnets with gold or steel nibs in extra fine, fine, medium, broad, right oblique, left oblique, medium italic, broad italic, and they are all nice writers.  Finishes are nice.  The best ones are pretty flawless in writing, starting, not drying out.  Wider nibs seem usually best at not drying out.  I do like the various colors.

+1
Khan M. Ilyas

#5 touzeen

touzeen

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:07

The Sonnet gets a lot of hate for some spotty QC, at times. I think it may also be a bit of bitterness against the brand for what it used to be compared to now.

I have one of the early 90s models in indigo blue lacquer with a very soft, 18k nib. It's a perfect pen. I can find no fault. The design is just genius. Perfect simplicity. I will own a sterling cisele model some day. 

Thanks for the review.

Am using a ~1996 Chinese Gold Lacquer version which needs to be primed after every page of writing... I'd say the "hate" is justified.

Edited by touzeen, 31 October 2015 - 08:07.

#6 howw

howw

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:18

I bought the flighter version with stainless steel F nib last week. I like its subtle appearance. So far it performs well with no starting problem, but I use it daily.

#7 TorontoJohnny

TorontoJohnny

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2015 - 12:49

Hi Steve, thanks for the review and help on the other thread.

What size nib did you use for the review? Also, have you tried the solid gold nib vs the steel you just reviewed? I ask from a smoothness stand point, any major "scratchiness" on this steel nib?

Probably a silly question as this is all subjective stuff.

PS. as you know I'm in the market for something special at the moment.

#8 s_t_e_v_e

s_t_e_v_e

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2015 - 17:46

The nib I used for the review was the Steel Fine nib. It's more of a medium now that I have increased the flow. It was never scratchy though. It is smooth and very pleasant to write with.

I have tried two gold sonnet nibs, which were both old style (1st generation, I guess). They weren't the best gold nibs I've used. They had flow issues but were smooth. 

I haven't tried the modern Sonnet gold nibs, but from the reviews I've seen, they are soft, smooth and reasonably wet. If you buy from an authorized Parker retailer, they will replace your pen if it has issues till you are fully happy with your purchase. Some retailers will test your pen and adjust it, if required, before shipping it to you.

The special pen you choose will depend a lot on your budget and size requirements. There are a lot of pens out there that can become your special pen. The Sonnet can definitely be your special pen, it did for me about 8 years ago and I am still happy with it.

#9 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 12,834 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2015 - 21:05

I think it might be best to buy the pen from a merchant who will adjust it to make sure the flow is good and that it doesn't dry up. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#10 max dog

max dog

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2015 - 21:07

I have 4 of these in the steel nib and have to say I really like them.  Classy look and feel, nice balance, smooth, springy nib.  It's too bad the earlier gen ones had a lot of flow issue which has led the Sonnet to earn a bad reputation.  I think the current ones are OK. Mine are all very reliable writers. 

#11 mazinger55

mazinger55

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 15:12

Parker Sonnet, one of the best fountain pens, the design, the balance, everything ..... woooww!!!, and this year Parker are going to change part of the design and present some new finishes.

#12 sannidh

sannidh

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:56

Very nice handwritten review of this pen. Thanks Steve.

Got a firedance Sonnet from my dad :)

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

#13 TorontoJohnny

TorontoJohnny

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 November 2015 - 15:36

The nib I used for the review was the Steel Fine nib. It's more of a medium now that I have increased the flow. It was never scratchy though. It is smooth and very pleasant to write with.

I have tried two gold sonnet nibs, which were both old style (1st generation, I guess). They weren't the best gold nibs I've used. They had flow issues but were smooth. 

I haven't tried the modern Sonnet gold nibs, but from the reviews I've seen, they are soft, smooth and reasonably wet. If you buy from an authorized Parker retailer, they will replace your pen if it has issues till you are fully happy with your purchase. Some retailers will test your pen and adjust it, if required, before shipping it to you.

The special pen you choose will depend a lot on your budget and size requirements. There are a lot of pens out there that can become your special pen. The Sonnet can definitely be your special pen, it did for me about 8 years ago and I am still happy with it.

Thanks again Steve I apreciate the input, I wanted to demo another Sonnet at the Toronto pen show but none of the tables had a Sonnet. I've also been admiring the Parker Vacumatic in the nice 1940-50's stripe, heh maybe I should get both ;)

#14 VivienR

VivienR

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2015 - 00:01

I'm absolutely love Parker Sonnets. My everyday writers. I find them reliable, but in some situation they can dry out... They have a perfect balance between size, design and weight. As well the various finishes give opportunities as well.

#15 CatHerder

CatHerder

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2016 - 20:15

I have a Sonnet with the 18k fine nib, bought about a year ago from Classic Fountain Pens (nibs.com). It has performed flawlessly, never failing to start, even after sitting for a few days. As I'm writing this, it dawned on me that when not in use, it is normally in the pencil tray in my desk - which means it's lying on it's side. That said, I've never had any trouble with it drying out when carried all day nib-up.

#16 Monbla

Monbla

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:48

I bought my Sonnet , Black, when they came out back in '94 as I felt it had some similarities in feel and size to my beloved 75 I was using at that time. Mine has a somewhat soft 18k M nib which puts down a nice wet line with some line variation to it.  With it's thin cap lip band the first generation pens have a unique, sleek look to them that the newer pens have lost with the wider, blingy, cap lip bands . I've never had any problems with mine and liked it so much I bought a Cisile version the next year. The first generation pens are great but I would imagine the new ones are as well ! Here's my Black one:

ParkerSonnet_zpsa8effe83.jpg

#17 s_t_e_v_e

s_t_e_v_e

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2016 - 16:14

I bought my Sonnet , Black, when they came out back in '94 as I felt it had some similarities in feel and size to my beloved 75 I was using at that time. Mine has a somewhat soft 18k M nib which puts down a nice wet line with some line variation to it.  With it's thin cap lip band the first generation pens have a unique, sleek look to them that the newer pens have lost with the wider, blingy, cap lip bands . I've never had any problems with mine and liked it so much I bought a Cisile version the next year. The first generation pens are great but I would imagine the new ones are as well ! Here's my Black one:

ParkerSonnet_zpsa8effe83.jpg

Great that the 1st gen gold nib worked well for you. I had two and both did not work well at all.

Indeed the Sonnet design is a classic. Yours looks beautiful in classic black lacquer.

#18 chrisoslo

chrisoslo

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 21:30

Just a note: after some years, the finish on my matte black pen has worn down to semi-shiny surface. I liked it better when new, though that is to some degree off-set by the character it has gained.

Edited by chrisoslo, 22 May 2017 - 21:32.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker, sonnet

Sponsored Content

|