Making Iroshizuku Chiki-Rin Darker

moonejon

Long story short, I tested a green Iroshizuku ink in person. Then I bought what I thought I tested. Turns out Chiki-Rin is a light, bright pea-green, instead of the dark green that I thought I bought. I like the color, but I really wanted a darker green. Does anyone have a recipe that they have tried or used that would make Chiki-Rin a darker green?

"It's our choices that show who we really are, far more than our abilities." - J.K. Rowling

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• moonejon

• Intellidepth

• SujiCorp12345

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Try mixing it with Shin-ryoku. I saw that SNAK made a delightful mix of the two on the "Don't Just Tell Us About Your Pen, Show Us" thread a while ago and it looked great.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Try mixing it with Shin-ryoku. I saw that SNAK made a delightful mix of the two on the "Don't Just Tell Us About Your Pen, Show Us" thread a while ago and it looked great.

Thanks, I'll have to get a sample and try that out. It's a gorgeous color... just isn't practical for everyday use.

"It's our choices that show who we really are, far more than our abilities." - J.K. Rowling

I found the pic. I don't know if you wanted a darker green than this or not: (Credits to SNAK)

21375548349_2541d22bfa_b.jpg

Edited by Suji

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

That looks nice... not quite the color I was looking for, but definitely one that I would enjoy! Thanks for finding the pic... definitely trying this mix when I get a chance.

Get a sample of Kon Peki (a cyan/turquoise) and add it a few drops at a time to 3mL Chiku Rin.

Take sumi will make it a bit muddy but the chiku rin/kon peki mix may benefit from a drop or two depending on your preference.

From memory, based on chromatography only Kon Peki is a pure colour in the Iro range, all the others are blends, so muddy mixes can easily happen if the wrong ink is chosen to add to Chiku Rin. I did some mixing with Chiku Rin today.

Can you provide RGB values (red green blue) so I know what green you're seeking? Programs like Word allow you to fill a shape with colour and you can customise the colour and find out the RGB values. I have chiku rin, kon peki, take sumi, tsutsuji, and yu yake to hand specifically for ink mixing. (There is no pure yellow in the Iro range, fyi.)

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

A fascinating thing that happens when you mix Kon Peki with Chiku Rin is that 30 seconds after you lay the ink down it changes colour - going from bluer to greener when it dries. Fun if you're expecting it and disconcerting if you're not. So when experimenting, make sure you let the ink dry for at least 30 seconds before altering the blend for your next iteration. Use a toothpick or skewer to test the ink colour on the way through. The ink will look bluer in the vial than it does in its dried state.

BTW shin-ryoku chromatography here on FPN seems to show it is a turquoise-yellow mix, so adding just Kon Peki may not be sufficient for the end result you are seeking, depending on your colour preference. For example, if a darker bluer green is what you are seeking, a little more Kon Peki will do the job. However if you are seeking more of a forest green with ever so slightly warmer tones, a third colour may be required.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Get a sample of Kon Peki (a cyan/turquoise) and add it a few drops at a time to 3mL Chiku Rin.

Take sumi will make it a bit muddy but the chiku rin/kon peki mix may benefit from a drop or two depending on your preference.

From memory, based on chromatography only Kon Peki is a pure colour in the Iro range, all the others are blends, so muddy mixes can easily happen if the wrong ink is chosen to add to Chiku Rin. I did some mixing with Chiku Rin today.

Can you provide RGB values (red green blue) so I know what green you're seeking? Programs like Word allow you to fill a shape with colour and you can customise the colour and find out the RGB values. I have chiku rin, kon peki, take sumi, tsutsuji, and yu yake to hand specifically for ink mixing. (There is no pure yellow in the Iro range, fyi.)

I messed around with the RGB values in Word and 59/95/86 looks somewhat close to what I was looking for... Kinda a dark green with a hint of teal... I'm going to give the Kon-Peki mix a shot and report back.

The Chiki-Rin/Kon-Peki mix looks awesome! Thx so much for the idea. I'm definitely gonna order a bottle of Kon-Peki now. :D

The Chiki-Rin/Kon-Peki mix looks awesome! Thx so much for the idea. I'm definitely gonna order a bottle of Kon-Peki now. :D

Please post a pic of the mix! :D :D

It's not a perfect picture, but it's what I could manage with the lighting that I have atm.

post-124256-0-09371300-1444953431_thumb.jpg

I'll try to upload a higher quality pic in a bit to give you a better idea.

Fabulous! Inky adventures are so rewarding.

Now you need to name your blend :). Would you like to post your ratios so others can replicate it?

Take-sumi's chromatography shows black, turquoise and yellow. As you've already got turquoise and yellow in your mix from Chiku Rin and also more turquoise from Kon Peki, you could also add a drop or two of Take Sumi to a sample of your current mix to darken it off without changing its fundamental colour too much, if that's what you're seeking. If you're wishing to be particular, there's more turquoise than yellow in Take Sumi, so reducing Kon Peki by a few drops when first mixing, or adding quite a bit more Chiku Rin in comparison after adding Take Sumi, will help rebalance it. Have fun! I love colour mixing. I get exactly the colours I prefer.

Even better, Kon Peki has sheen (as does Tsutsuji), so in very wet pens on good paper a custom mix can be extra-nice because of this effect, depending on how much of these is in the base mix. Kon Peki's is red sheen, Tsutsuji is gold.

Edited by Intellidepth

Sorry I didn't post this... forgot all about it. The ratio was 1 part Kon Peki to 3 parts Chiki-Rin.

And I'm not sure exactly what to name it. Kon-Chiki works, I guess. :)

Thank you.

I found the pic. I don't know if you wanted a darker green than this or not: (Credits to SNAK)

I quite like this colour. I must admit I wasn't sure about Chiku-rin when I bought it. Before it arrived from Japan, I had received and tried a sample, and didn't like it enough to keep the bottle when it arrived.

Maybe I should have tried mixing it with something else as has been suggested here.

I added some Emerald of Chivor and had a great time with this ink.

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/album/Ink/slides/2015-09-20-20-34-06.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY