The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Omas Model Confusion

omas omas extra omas lucens omas extra lucens

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mhphoto

mhphoto

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2015 - 15:37

I've recently decided to try to track down and purchase a vintage OMAS, but I'm having trouble deciphering the early model range. Could somebody please explain the differences between the early OMAS Extra, Lucens, and Extra Lucens? I'm basically looking for whatever was the early equivalent of the faceted Paragon design.

Thanks!

Edited by mhphoto, 13 October 2015 - 15:38.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 roberto v

roberto v

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2015 - 15:42

Extra was widely used by Omas in several models, from the1930ies lever fillers to the 1950ies piston fillers. Early 55x pens are also marked Omas Extra on the body.

Lucens and Extra lucens, on the other hand, have the transparent barrel and the "stantuffo tuffante" filling system- the difference is that lucens are round shaped and the extra lucens are faceted

#3 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 15:50

I have very recently found out that Extra Lucens was transparent and faceted as opposed to Lucens which was just transparent.

I would love to find a reasonably priced recent version Extra Lucens, but i think I need to save up as they are very expensive.

#4 Keyless Works

Keyless Works

Antique

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• 1,793 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2015 - 15:58

oops double post

Edited by Keyless Works, 13 October 2015 - 16:08.

#5 Keyless Works

Keyless Works

Antique

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• 1,793 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2015 - 16:08

You can find pens that look more or less like a modern Paragon

(This: OmasParagonBlackGFT.JPG

not this: omas-paragon-maroon-ruthenium-uncapped.j

from 1932 to present day.  The old ones used different filling mechanisms (lever fillers, stantuffo tuffante (Dunn style), and piston) and there are variations to the clip and cap bands.  You wont find a second Greek key band on pens before the 80s. 

The pens from the 40s and earlier are particularly expensive.  The pens from the 50s are pricey as well. 

Edited by Keyless Works, 13 October 2015 - 16:09.

#6 mhphoto

mhphoto

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,932 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2015 - 16:58

Just what I needed! Thanks everyone!!

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: omas, omas extra, omas lucens, omas extra lucens

Sponsored Content

|