Pilot Capless Decimo

Mike S.

Any advice on which Decimo color you would advise(I know that it is all personal preference).I am trying to decide between the white,Japanese pink,and yellow?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike S.

• spilled ink

• Taki

• Tricia

I went to the Ujuku websie,placed an order for the Pilot Decimo in Japanese pink and received a paypal statement.The only problem is that most of the statement consists of row after row of rectanguar boxes.How do I make sense out of this statement so that I can submit payment?HELP!!!!

When you decide which one to get, send an e-mail to Ujuku with info (what pen, color, nib width, and your address) and asek him to send an invoice via paypal.

As for colors the only one I've seen in person is my pink one, and I'm partial to it. It's brownish pink and very nice :) But think about ink colors you want to use in it, too. Some colors might not go with pink.

Whenever I'm trying to decide between two close contenders, I like to flip a coin -- then, before I look, I ask myself which one I'm hoping it will be. That tells me which one I really want more. Then I put the coin away.

You can't use my method (unless you know of a 3-sided coin) until you eliminate one of your choices. For me, that would be white. If asked to choose between pink and yellow, I would choose yellow. It's a nice, happy color and would be hard to lose. Besides, if I had a pink pen, I think my 6-year-old daughter (who has a pink bedroom) would steal it.

I'm from Minnesota, which is why I bought dark blue.

J-san, if you bought that decimo, you can be almost assured that your girlfriend would abscond with it. With the thinner barrel, my wife has found that it fits her hand better than the regular VP, and if your girlfriend is anything like my wife...the pen would be gone.

Nice pen though! I've used Taki's, and it's a really good fit in the hand.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

Dan,

That was a fantastic review comparing and contrasting the Fermo and Decimo.I found myself changing my mind continuously about which pen to purchase.I decided to buy the Decimo in yellow from Mr. Yamada at his Ujuku store in Japan.The one really dicey part is when one gets a bill through paypal and except for the price everthing else is in Japanese.I punched in my password etc. and then later went to my paypal history to insure that my payment went through.Well,to say that changing my color selection from Japanese Pink to Yellow was easy would be a great understatement.I twice called Mr. Yamada in Japan whose english is extremely limited.The first time when we could barely communicate with one another he hung up on me(possibly accidentally).The second time went a little better when I started repeating YELLOW,YELLOW,YELLOW,NO PINK like it was my personal mantra.Anyway,he is a very pleasant getleman especially via e-mail.I cancelled my order for a Fermo and kept my order for the Decimo.I would highly recommend the Ujuku store in Japan.

Dan,

That was a fantastic review comparing and contrasting the Fermo and Decimo.I found myself changing my mind continuously about which pen to purchase.I decided to buy the Decimo in yellow from Mr. Yamada at his Ujuku store in Japan.The one really dicey part is when one gets a bill through paypal and except for the price everthing else is in Japanese.I punched in my password etc. and then later went to my paypal history to insure that my payment went through.Well,to say that changing my color selection from Japanese Pink to Yellow was easy would be a great understatement.I twice called Mr. Yamada in Japan whose english is extremely limited.The first time when we could barely communicate with one another he hung up on me(possibly accidentally).The second time went a little better when I started repeating YELLOW,YELLOW,YELLOW,NO PINK like it was my personal mantra.Anyway,he is a very pleasant getleman especially via e-mail.I cancelled my order for a Fermo and kept my order for the Decimo.I would highly recommend the Ujuku store in Japan.

Wow! You called Yamada-san? Maybe he was sleeping at that time :D I'm glad it worked out, though :) Interesting I just checked the Paypal invoice from Ujuku I got last year, and it is in English. I will send an e-mail and ask him if he has made a change.

Edited by Taki

I ordered one, too. :D (The dark blue, though I've been waffling on wanting the gray one...) Anyway, the first paypal email invoice was in Japanese, but after I paid it, the resulting receipt was in English.

If I really like it, I may end up with both colors. My current VP is fine, but it just feels big and awkward. I'm hoping the Decimo clears up the size issue but keeps all the sterling qualities of the VP. From this great review, I'm betting it does. :D

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

After much browsing on FPN, I finally gave in and ordered a decimo in harvest yellow this evening. My current black carbonesque works just fine, writes like a dream, and I don't mind the pen's weight or the nib position. So I certainly had no "need" to order another VP. But if fountain pen lovers made purchase decisions based purely on need, we wouldn't have much of a collection and not nearly as much fun now, would we? Can't wait for my new decimo to arrive.

I am also waiting for my Decimo Hervest yellow.Would it be crazy to order a Fermo which is pretty similar to the Decimo?

I am also waiting for my Decimo Hervest yellow.Would it be crazy to order a Fermo which is pretty similar to the Decimo?

I don't think it would be "crazy" at all. After all, you have to have a pen to hold your custom broad stub nib, or a different color of ink, or . . .

Mike

With the thinner barrel, my wife has found that it fits her hand better than the regular VP, and if your girlfriend is anything like my wife...the pen would be gone.

Now there's a thought - I could trade one of these for my wife's "Laque Moonbeam" Sonnet that I've had my greedy eyes on for so long... :drool:

When I ordered my Decimo (pink :wub: ), I decided to order my husband one also (blue) and I'm so glad I did...we both love our pens, and it's become my favorite writer lately (and I'm a diehard Pelikan fan).

My only problem is, I don't know how to use the converter. I figured I'd post my question/dilemma separately soon (wrapping up my last deadline, can't concentrate on anything other than that at the moment) so someone can guide me (in very simple, explicit instructions because I'm hopelessly confused) through the process.

Guns, Gams, and Gumshoes: http://writingpis.wordpress.com/

Colleen Collins Books http://colleencollinsbooks.com/

Most certainly not. I'm contemplating getting a Fermo myself. The only issues for me are whether I would enjoy the twist mechanism, the heft of the Fermo compared to the Decimo, and whether the money would be better spent on a limited edition VP like the Raden. If anything, this whole decision process is driving me crazy.

Most certainly not. I'm contemplating getting a Fermo myself. The only issues for me are whether I would enjoy the twist mechanism, the heft of the Fermo compared to the Decimo, and whether the money would be better spent on a limited edition VP like the Raden. If anything, this whole decision process is driving me crazy.

Fermo is not for me. I like VP/decimo because I can operate just with one hand. OTOH Raden :drool: :drool: :drool:

I'm just about to use my new VP (old design) which I have as a gift, today. I must say that I love the name "Vanishing Point" - so much better than "capless"- as they are called in the UK. The VP sells here in England, for about £74 (approx $145 US) - which is a lot more than you lucky people pay in the US, so I could not afford the newer Decimo model. I had the medium nib as I understand its a bit more like a fine. I will use it at work where a fine is more suitable, and I'm looking forward to the one hand operation to make it appear or vanish. That's the whole point, after all ... lots of clever tricks!!

Peter

Mine just arrived today. :D The size is definitely much nicer for my hand than the regular-sized VP I have. Love that. It's a much better match with how I hold a pen than the larger one. Thank you for the review! I would never have realized I could buy online from Japan so easily. I may just need to get another one.

However, mine didn't come with a converter. I've read that the nibs are interchangeable between the VP and the Decimo, are the converters also interchangeable?

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

The converters should be interchangeable. Also, many people prefer cartridges with VPs (apparently the flow is better). You can refill them with a syringe. Did your pen come with a cartridge?

The converters should be interchangeable. ... Did your pen come with a cartridge?

Yes, and that's what I'm using now. I was too impatient to wait and see if the converter would work. :D

Good to know that the VP converter will work, though! I rarely use the VP because it's awkward for me, but this new Decimo is perfect. :cloud9: Such a shame Pilot isn't distributing to the US. Had no trouble with the Japanese dealer, though, so maybe it's not an issue.

Thanks again for the review.

• 1 month later...