The Edson - Discontinuation

Left FPN

I must add to this thread that I finally acquired a Black Diamond Edson, which arrived just today. I now have what I consider a complete set - ruby, emerald, sapphire and black diamond. And with the black diamond, I finally have an Edson with a button. Dang it! I wish Waterman would let us know what the origin of the button is about. Still, I am a pretty happy camper.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• RMN

• Lam1

• wspohn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I must add to this thread that I finally acquired a Black Diamond Edson, which arrived just today. I now have what I consider a complete set - ruby, emerald, sapphire and black diamond. And with the black diamond, I finally have an Edson with a button. Dang it! I wish Waterman would let us know what the origin of the button is about. Still, I am a pretty happy camper.

Please, show us this beauty!

Roger

No LE Silver ones??

Just teasing.

Please show us some family pics...

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Any 'complete' collection requires the sterling and Boucheron versions, of course.... :D

I like the red version but have never chased one down - hard to find now.

I, too, would be interested in the button.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

The Sterling LE Edson was my first pen more expensive than a Lamy Safari. I didn't really know what I was doing and got a M nib, which in retrospect is way thinner than I tend to prefer. Still, it's a lovely pen and I'm finding it hard to part with it, even though I use it less than once a year.

I'd love to see the black diamond!

Once a year is still wonderful, like a state ritual of celebration.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 2 weeks later...

Shall we play Last Post or TAPS?

D.ick

~

~

Shall we play Last Post or TAPS?

D.ick

Owners of certain models it might be more a ka-ching (cha-ching)

Owners of certain models it might be more a ka-ching (cha-ching)

Your pension fund is smiling?

D.ick

~

~

Your pension fund is smiling?

D.ick

I was thinking of selling them recently in favour of buying an item connected with my other passion but will now hold fire. I saw a ruby sell last year for £550.

PS. Don't mention my pension fund at the moment what with Brexit and all that stuff...we are not allowed to talk politics so will end this here.

Here is my latest addition...

This thread is evil!

I had crossed the Edson out of my wish list, due to its discontinuation and my self-imposed limit on the price I'm willing to pay for a pen... Then I read this thread and, out of curiosity, checked out what it was going for at Amazon UK. Darn it! The black diamond, which is the one I like, was about $450 shipped. Within limits, so what to do... I couldn't resist. And a month ago I had promised that there would be no more pens for me this year. Gahh!!

Now the long wait for it to arrive (well, it certainly will be here before my Nakaya).

Now I swear, another pen only in 2017!

This thread is evil!

I had crossed the Edson out of my wish list, due to its discontinuation and my self-imposed limit on the price I'm willing to pay for a pen... Then I read this thread and, out of curiosity, checked out what it was going for at Amazon UK. Darn it! The black diamond, which is the one I like, was about $450 shipped. Within limits, so what to do... I couldn't resist. And a month ago I had promised that there would be no more pens for me this year. Gahh!!

Now the long wait for it to arrive (well, it certainly will be here before my Nakaya).

Now I swear, another pen only in 2017!

Temporarily out of Stock...within an hour of this post the last two were snapped up for £374 each.

Probably a couple of people were triggered into action by the fall in the British Pound today.

I have looked at the Edson a few times and set out to satisfy myself with the newer Exception, having the bayonet connection, outstanding nib, more discreet.

I still like the ruby and the blue though; not the diamond because I am pretty full up on black pens even though I do not go for kaleidoscopic. Given I have a small number of Watermans now, it fits better than doing a Montblanc. Maybe the fact that I recently committed to building a house will slow me down (contract signed with an Exception of course).

X

Probably a couple of people were triggered into action by the fall in the British Pound today.

I have looked at the Edson a few times and set out to satisfy myself with the newer Exception, having the bayonet connection, outstanding nib, more discreet.

I still like the ruby and the blue though; not the diamond because I am pretty full up on black pens even though I do not go for kaleidoscopic. Given I have a small number of Watermans now, it fits better than doing a Montblanc. Maybe the fact that I recently committed to building a house will slow me down (contract signed with an Exception of course).

I suspect there will still be a few earlier colours floating about at good prices waiting to be snapped up.

I suspect there will still be a few earlier colours floating about at good prices waiting to be snapped up.

Why do you think some of the earlier colors will show up at good prices? And what would be a good price for those colors?

I can find the red and green for €575, and had been tempted for a while... Until I saw your post about the blue you got from Amazon UK, and found the black one.

Why do you think some of the earlier colors will show up at good prices? And what would be a good price for those colors?

I can find the red and green for €575, and had been tempted for a while... Until I saw your post about the blue you got from Amazon UK, and found the black one.

Sellers that are not aware of their value or that the Edson has ceased production. My Ruby was £225 and Emerald £260 both from Europe.

Sellers that are not aware of their value or that the Edson has ceased production. My Ruby was £225 and Emerald £260 both from Europe.

Oh, I see! Thanks for the clarification.

Wow, you've got a fantastic deal in all of them. Congrats!

(For clarification, I should have said that the Black Diamond is the one I like "the most", because all of them are lovely).

A Ruby sold for £500 yesterday on the bay.

There is an Emerald running which is currently at £300.

A Ruby sold for £500 yesterday on the bay.

There is an Emerald running which is currently at £300.

I looked at that one out of curiosity. There is not much information nor photos, no boxing, apparent fine scratches over the gold on the section and an apparent stain on the left of the nib as seen in one of the photos, possibly an artefact and possibly not.

I wonder whether this one is worth a lot or whether some people are going to dump Edsons opportunistically. What do you think of that pen, Force, if you do not mind me asking? Does my pessimism above look fair or should it sell for more?

Edited by praxim

X