The Edson - Discontinuation

Left FPN

As most people want M nibs these days, that is what most shops order, and more and more companies provide. For thos few wishing another nib, either the store can ordere another size, or there is the exchange system which many brands have.

Big shops tend to store more options for very popular pens, but usually it is like with T-Fords. You can order any colour as long as it is black......

D.ick

Maybe most sellers stock medium nibs because they know fairly little about fountain pens. Then, why go to the trouble and expense of stocking different nib sizes of pens when you can put the burden of trouble and expense on the buyer and the manufacturer?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• RMN

• Lam1

• wspohn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe most sellers stock medium nibs because they know fairly little about fountain pens. Then, why go to the trouble and expense of stocking different nib sizes of pens when you can put the burden of trouble and expense on the buyer and the manufacturer?

If you sell 3 pens of one type per month, and there are 6 nib options, you should stock 18 pens, which have to be paid for, and you need the space to store them.

Most small shops are not going to do that.. Which I fully understand, as the manufacturer is not going to take those 15 unsold pens back.

In some cases, you can just stock 3 pens and 18 nibs, but often that won't work either. Some manufacturers don't send spare nibs. Besides, you would need a staff with the technical knowledge to change them. I wanted an italic nib for a Pelikan 200 series, just the nib. No way José, that nib is only available on one colour-edition of the pen. You buy that pen, or no italic.

Shops will be happy to provide those options if you as a buyer will pay for the service, but that is not going to happen.

It's a strange world, where all is related to "marketing"

A non pen related example: I wanted a foreign magazine. I ordered it with my local bookshop. I wanted a subscription, through the shop. I offered to pay in advance. The shop wanted to, but no way: The distributor only would deliver a minimum of 3 magazines. After two months of returns of the two unsold ones they stopped delivery.

Pen related: Certain Pilot pens are simply not available in Europe. Pilot Europe does not want to stock them. Period. Did not even want to special order it. Too much work. And ordering in Japan or USA is just too expensive with shipping, insurance an import duty and VAT. And what if there is something with the pen.

Other pen-related: Special edition LAMY inks are unavailable in bottles in Europe, not enough demand, they say. (I just read that as of 2017 they WILL be available. But that's too late to stock up on the 2015 and 2016 inks.)

And don't blame your pen shop, as in today's economy they have no other choice.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Just before I closed up shop last night a mint boxed Black Diamond was listed on the bay at £290 BIN. It got one bid very quickly but the BIN stayed. I thought for a while and said to myself NO go sleep on it. So I did and am just up and went to review the listing with the view to snapping it up and it was.....SOLD. Ahh well maybe another good deal will come along.

I have not looked at one closely and the sellers non-commercial pics made it look nice, especially the matt silver cap.

Ohhh no, I checked Amazon UK (as I regularly do for Carenes)...a Sapphire with Medium point in their Warehouse deal and after emailing they replied saying the packaging is the only damage and if not happy return for full refund...£240. It's a no brainer especially with written evidence plus I have another large Waterman Deluxe box in good order. Good or bad I will report back.

Just before I closed up shop last night a mint boxed Black Diamond was listed on the bay at £290 BIN. It got one bid very quickly but the BIN stayed. I thought for a while and said to myself NO go sleep on it. So I did and am just up and went to review the listing with the view to snapping it up and it was.....SOLD. Ahh well maybe another good deal will come along.

I have not looked at one closely and the sellers non-commercial pics made it look nice, especially the matt silver cap.

attachicon.gif$_57 (1).JPG

Ohhh no, I checked Amazon UK (as I regularly do for Carenes)...a Sapphire with Medium point in their Warehouse deal and after emailing they replied saying the packaging is the only damage and if not happy return for full refund...£240. It's a no brainer especially with written evidence plus I have another large Waterman Deluxe box in good order. Good or bad I will report back.

So, that was providence.....

D.ick

~

~

So, that was providence.....

D.ick

Maybe D.ick but lets see what arrives first. One persons no damage is another persons rolling in a desk drawer for 20 years.

If you sell 3 pens of one type per month, and there are 6 nib options, you should stock 18 pens, which have to be paid for, and you need the space to store them.

Most small shops are not going to do that.. Which I fully understand, as the manufacturer is not going to take those 15 unsold pens back.

In some cases, you can just stock 3 pens and 18 nibs, but often that won't work either. Some manufacturers don't send spare nibs. Besides, you would need a staff with the technical knowledge to change them. I wanted an italic nib for a Pelikan 200 series, just the nib. No way José, that nib is only available on one colour-edition of the pen. You buy that pen, or no italic.

Shops will be happy to provide those options if you as a buyer will pay for the service, but that is not going to happen.

It's a strange world, where all is related to "marketing"

A non pen related example: I wanted a foreign magazine. I ordered it with my local bookshop. I wanted a subscription, through the shop. I offered to pay in advance. The shop wanted to, but no way: The distributor only would deliver a minimum of 3 magazines. After two months of returns of the two unsold ones they stopped delivery.

Pen related: Certain Pilot pens are simply not available in Europe. Pilot Europe does not want to stock them. Period. Did not even want to special order it. Too much work. And ordering in Japan or USA is just too expensive with shipping, insurance an import duty and VAT. And what if there is something with the pen.

Other pen-related: Special edition LAMY inks are unavailable in bottles in Europe, not enough demand, they say. (I just read that as of 2017 they WILL be available. But that's too late to stock up on the 2015 and 2016 inks.)

And don't blame your pen shop, as in today's economy they have no other choice.

D.ick

I don't think anyone expects a pen shop to stock all the choices, but enough people like fine nibs that you might expect some to stock them. I am guessing some do.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Ohhh, yes! Both your Sapphire and the Black Diamond were indeed good buys. Those prices sound like inventory reduction, but one gets the good buys where one can. I hope the pen turns out to be in good condition.

Are you intending to keep the M point?

Ohhh, yes! Both your Sapphire and the Black Diamond were indeed good buys. Those prices sound like inventory reduction, but one gets the good buys where one can. I hope the pen turns out to be in good condition.

Are you intending to keep the M point?

Yes, if it's the same as my Ruby the M is a nice width.

It's now on route from Europe...Graben DE

I am wondering if it will have both of these,

Update: The package arrived late this afternoon and I have only just this last half hour had time to open it. Delivery was excellent with tracking data all the way. The pen appears unused but dipped. It does have the button bottom and the blue gold converter as above. There are no marks at all from eyeglass inspection. I have dunked the section in warm water which had very little ink within. The box is not totally U/S but has stickers on the bottom and tape across the top. I have another identical one to replace it if required. IMHO a very very good deal. Pics tomorrow...if you have not already seen a Sapphire Edson, but hey you will know I am not bluffing.

Update: Waterman no longer apply a gold hallmark to the Edson nib hardware. Searching the net and viewing other Edson pens this appears to be the norm. In addition, if serial numbers are sequential, the pen I have just purchased was manufactured in 2014. The serial number on my pen precedes that shown on the pen in this review dated October 2014. I wonder where it has been.

For a medium point it leans towards fine compared to some Waterman models.

That's my lot...no more.

Congrats!!! You made a really good buy.

And your Edson collection is admirable. Thanks for the update, and enjoy your new acquisition in good health. :thumbup: :bunny01:

Stunning! Enjoy them all in the best of health.

I have never seen the model with the button on the bottom. Is it an LE or a model that came out at a particular time?

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

Stunning! Enjoy them all in the best of health.

I have never seen the model with the button on the bottom. Is it an LE or a model that came out at a particular time?

It's not an LE. The pens shown on the Waterman web site show this exact model, albeit they have not updated their pages since 2014, other than to correct typos, which I find very strange. I am not sure when or why the barrel button was introduced. There have been a few discussions on this aspect and some suggest they had problems moulding the barrels and cracks were appearing in that area. It's all rumour because Waterman Customer Service do not reveal information when asked...as I sometimes do.

It's not an LE. The pens shown on the Waterman web site show this exact model, albeit they have not updated their pages since 2014, other than to correct typos, which I find very strange. I am not sure when or why the barrel button was introduced. There have been a few discussions on this aspect and some suggest they had problems moulding the barrels and cracks were appearing in that area. It's all rumour because Waterman Customer Service do not reveal information when asked...as I sometimes do.

Fascinating. Yes, it would be nice if the Waterman ad copy elaborated on the design modification.

Edited by Joane

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

This should be in a Chuckle a Day but perhaps worth a smile or two here.

Oh, too bad, that seller does not deliver to my country.....

D.ick

~

~

These pens have a blingy and unusual design. I am starting to think I should have bought one of these in lieu of four Carenes.

These pens have a blingy and unusual design. I am starting to think I should have bought one of these in lieu of four Carenes.

There is no doubt about it you should at least have (try) one in your lifetime.

There is no doubt about it you should at least have (try) one in your lifetime.

Although I agree, one must consider the addiction factor. Trying an Edson ends up being buying and Edson, which in turn ends up being wanting another ....

Speaking of things ending up in particular ways, your "chuckle" ended up being a near heart seizure for me. Fortunately, I had taken my medication so I merely passed out. :P ;)

Edited: By the way, my Sapphire also does not have the gold dot. Too bad Waterman is not willing to share information on its origin.

Edited by FrankB

Returning to the point of this topic, is the Edson being discontinued.

When I learned that the box for the above pen was damaged and before actually seeing it I emailed my contact at Waterman to enquire if I could buy, direct from them, a new Edson Deluxe box. I explained that I had bought a new pen and that the box was reported as damaged.

Yesterday I received a reply from another person within customer service and it came from FW UK. What does FW stand for was my first thought. Something Waterman maybe. The email properties confirmed it was from sas.uk@newell etc.

The person said, 'Unfortunately we don't have any gift boxes left for the Waterman Edson Fountain Pen. However we will be happy to send you a current Waterman gift box.'

What does this mean, did they think I meant the old style Edson box or have they ceased stocking spare boxes for the current Edson.

So I took the opportunity of them sending me one and I will let you know what arrives.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late to come across your post of your beautiful Edson Collection. Absolutely fabulous, Force😊. Congratulations.

I did have to indulge myself in buying a Sapphire Blue. Not as rare as the other colors, but I purchased it new which is what I wanted. It, too, has the button on the end of the barrel.

The box my Edson came in is identical to the box that my Shimmering Amber Carene arrived in two years ago. The Shimmering Amber came from Amazon, US.

The Edson came from CFP three months ago. Did that make a difference? Did Waterman run out of boxes for the Edson three months ago? Curious.

If your out-go is more than your income,

Then your up-keep.

May be your Down-falll!!!