Urushi Use Warnings?

Tojusi

I was combing through the reviews data base, and came across the following:

"in the pocket attached to the lid were instructions and usual urushi use warnings"

Can someone educate me about what these warnings are and mean?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tojusi

• Algester

• jar

• Notgatherox

Usually don't post the cap, don't chew on the pen, wipe down with a soft dry cloth, don't soak in water, don't drop on hard surfaces.

Usually don't post the cap, don't chew on the pen, wipe down with a soft dry cloth, don't soak in water, don't drop on hard surfaces.

Common sense for most pens in my world! Thanks for the information. The no-soaking is important as I tend to do that sometimes with nib units...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

And don't expose to direct sunlight...

Mine is several years old, having received but ordinary care, I see no real signs of use other than subtle change of hue as the urushii ages.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Sounds like a vague machine translation...

If it is urushi with urushiol handle with caution if your not yet used to it yet wear gloves that stuff is nasty if your allergic to poison ivy make sure your not in a hot and humid environment so it doesnt cure but urushi takes 24 hours curing time but still... Beyond that your on your own

These does not apply to already cured urushi what I'm saying is the stuff that was taken from the trees

Edited by Algester

I would also say be very picky about the ink choice. If the section is also coated with urushi I would not let any kind of tough ink to touch it. Ph balance on the ink is also a concern.

http://j-tradition.com/en/lacquer/shiru/teire.html

Note: In rare cases, some people may experience an allergic reaction to lacquer. In such cases, please consult a doctor.

like pen, lacquer ware products can stand to a lot of things but like all organic material it will rot hence restoration is a bit of a tricky process for it to rot well thats total negligence on your part like burying it on soil

that link should give you an idea the only way for you to truly strip urushi is through mechanical means and thats a lot of sanding no chemical but chemical will damage the finish so eh...

Edited by Algester

Urushi has long been used for vessels that hold liquid, sake cups for example. Not sure that soking would hurt it. We have quite a few urushi soup bowls, rice bowls sake cups etc. When purchased new they often come with instructions to wash and indeed soak in hot water before using. The hot water is said to aid in the curing process. We wash all our urushi in hot soapy water using an old tshirt as the wash cloth. No problem.

However, there is reason to be concerned if you are allergic to poison ivy or poison sumac. My wife gave me a very nice set of urushi coffee mugs. The maker was behind and sent them out before they were fully cured with a letter telling us to wait a month before using them. Knowing of a posdible alkergic reaction I waited three months but still had a very bad reaction. Now, years later, no problem at all using them. Once they are cured, you should not have any reaction...unless you chew on it...but why would any one chew on an expensive urushi pen?

• 2 weeks later...

but why would any one chew on an expensive urushi pen?

Because it looks like shiny deliciousness?